Old Jul 24, 2015, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by DutchRC
Netherlands, Overste, Zwolle
Joined Jul 2014
206 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Pietenpol Aircamper 1370mm Balsa

Halloa people

a few months ago HK announced this vintage flier in one of it's daily video's, and I immediately wanted one A nice rendition of the famous kit-planes from the 1930's..
So.. the package arrived at my doorstep today

Unboxing time! Looks good to me so-far

DutchRC - HobbyKing Pietenpol Aircamper - Unboxing! (8 min 35 sec)

I'll allso be doing a maiden-flight video, and possible some more, with the plane

Specs:
Wingspan: 1370mm
Length: 860mm
Weight: 1600g
DutchRC is offline Find More Posts by DutchRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by mu2freighter
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRC View Post
Looks good to me so-far
Looks good to me too!

Are you going to get all ambitious and fabricate a Model A dummy engine? That's a lovely kit but it just wouldn't be a Pete for me with a bare nose
mu2freighter is online now Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:57 PM
Joined Jul 2014
206 Posts
Ghehehe hmmm I was thinking of adding some exhausts I haven't looked up what those should look like

I'm now doing some building on the plane.. I'm missing some washers.. Other then that the fit is great.. It IS quite a bit more work then most balsa kits from HK, but that is allright.. I'm enjoying the build
Old Jul 28, 2015, 09:48 AM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,296 Posts
I just realized, the big (and draggy, unfortunately) radiator is what completes the picture for me. This shouldn't be that big a deal to fabricate...easy to say from the sidelines, I know...from scraps most hobbyists have lying around.
Last edited by mu2freighter; Jul 28, 2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: add pic
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:06 AM
Joined Jul 2014
206 Posts
Hot damn.. That looks quite ugly haha

I like this one a lot better
Old Jul 28, 2015, 03:13 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,296 Posts
Don't blame you a bit, that's waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy simpler!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2014
206 Posts
That as well yes
I'll first fly her bone stock (if the motor ever arrives!) .. Then I'll start doing some mods..
Like an interiour.. pilot.. exhaust..
Old Aug 02, 2015, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
4,990 Posts
The HK Pietenpol Air Camper has also been discussed a bit here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2459350
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
Old Aug 06, 2015, 09:15 AM
Joined Jul 2014
206 Posts
Hi there people
So.. my Pietenpol's build is done.. Time for a maiden flight then!
Now. the wind-direction was a bit bad for my flying-field, which made the landing not-so-handy :P
But I got her down in 1 piece

DutchRC - HobbyKing Pietenpol Aircamper - Maiden Flight! :) (10 min 29 sec)
Old Aug 06, 2015, 03:14 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,296 Posts
I might sound like a broken record, but you said too that it seems a bit tail heavy, especially if it's overly sensitive in pitch. If the CG's too far back even the best of planes can be unpleasant to fly.

I think you're doing your approaches too high and too far away...at times it looks like you're diving to try getting it lower, which will only increase the airspeed and prolong the final. If it isn't carved in stone in your mind, this needs to be: Pitch controls airspeed, power controls altitude.

If it's overpowered, that gives you the luxury of throttling back...you mentioned cruising at 60% throttle, but I'll bet 40%-even 25% will do it. HK's Pete looks like it handles extremely low speeds really well. I never seemed to see a stall break even when it was slowed down a lot, this is great, it just means the Pete is not a speed demon.

My prescription would be lots of airwork at altitude to explore the performance envelope; I bet you'll be able to crawl the plane right to you and land at your feet if you know it won't stall, and with all that wing area I'd expect just that from a high wing light aircraft like the Pete.

As far as the wind, sure, there's nothing to be done about the groundspeed with it, but to deal with unstable choppy air I'm really liking the new breed of receivers with piezo gyro stabilization.

Have you considered something like the Lemon RX receiver? That's what's going into my new Rochobby Waco. I've seen many happy comments on threads here about them and they look like a solid company. The 7 channel DSMX one was only about $22 and 10 calendar days shipped to me from Hong Kong.

Flying the UMX Radian with its AS3X receiver made a believer out of me...I've flown it in moderate wind with lots of instability and it handles the bumps beautifully, as advertised with the feel of a much larger airplane.

With the confidence I have in both the UMX Radian and the Parkzone micro T-28 I've been flying this year, I can usually land within a few feet of where I intend to, and that's pretty important because I'm in a power wheelchair and can't just go trotting across country to retrieve a plane!
Last edited by mu2freighter; Aug 06, 2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2015, 03:37 PM
Joined Jul 2014
206 Posts
Thanks for the reply again sir!
well.. yeah.. the reality at that spot is a bit different then what it looks like on camera.. YES I should approach lower, or slower (basically the same thing.. elevation = speed = elevation) .. I'd rather not fly through a building / tree / lamp-post/camera though..

The CG was not an issue.. that was okee, but the plane might behave a bit better in glide with te lipo a few mm's forward..

Yes.. I've had the UMX Radian.. Great fun! I allso have a few other stabelisers.. To take it a step further: I've put an APM flightcontroller with GPS in one of my planes, and it landed itself! Hmm let's see.. The only plane I now have a stabeliser in now, is a seaplane.. With those it is Really very bennefitial to land level...
On other planes I'd rather crash.. It's no fun & takes away from the skill needed..
Old Aug 06, 2015, 06:00 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRC View Post
On other planes I'd rather crash.. It's no fun & takes away from the skill needed..
I wouldn't say that stabilization takes away from skill, myself. With gadgets that do the flying for you, yes, I can see people becoming dependent on them instead of skill to get out of trouble, but all a stabilizer's doing is applying corrections faster than any human could. That's why a light weight 730mm UMX Radian flys like an unstabilized 2m Radian.

It's no sin to use a stabilizer in full size aviation for the same reason: it reacts with a correction faster than a human being can. Just ask a full size Learjet pilot and they'll say the same: if the yaw damper is inoperative, that's actually a no-go item. Even on the Mitsubishi MU-2s I flew for a living, an inoperative yaw damper was guaranteed to make flying a tiring, dreary task.

When I'm flying a model that size, if a piezoelectric gyro can keep me out of trouble and make it act like a much larger, heavier ship, I'll use it any time I can. Just my opinion, of course, but having these available so inexpensively is a godsend for me...several of the micros I've been flying since 2010 would be even more fun and relaxing with that feature!
Old Aug 06, 2015, 06:26 PM
Joined Jul 2014
206 Posts
Well yeah.. I CAN see your point.. I am not against new things or something like that..
I know however it takes away from the pilots ability to be quick at the sticks..
(I might not have been able to save that T-28 Trojan otherwise)..

I sold my UMX a while back to someone that Only flies planes with stabelisers.. I would definately not trust him with one of my planes.. He simply cannot fly..

But as mentioned before: there is a use for everything.. I do like to have that stabeliser on my seaplane.. And I might allso put one into my FPV plane (a Hype Funtastic)

Back to the Pietenpol then: the elevator was just to touchy.. Which did not help me in the landing.. The flight itself wasn't as smooth eighter, as I'm sure you know
During the flight I didn't remember I had a higher expo set up on a switch.. haha.. the struggle of maidens + trying to shoot a decent video + doing narration
Old Aug 08, 2015, 05:45 AM
Find More Posts by capt wally
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
If it isn't carved in stone in your mind, this needs to be: Pitch controls airspeed, power controls altitude.

Careful there preaching that. Whilst it does work given enough practice with very light A/C it's actually the wrong technique. Pitch controls where you want the plane to go, power controls what it was meant to do in the first place, adjusting airspeed.
You aim where you want the plane to go such as the piano keys on a Rwy using pitch (get the horizon where you want it in the window) & then all you have to do is add or reduce power to keep on speed, it's dead easy but sadly it's being taught all the wrong way these days.
Obviously in the above situation it's a stable environment but pitch will change airspeed if power is not changed also.

This technique is used every day in larger A/C with auto thrust etc.

CW
capt wally is online now Find More Posts by capt wally
Last edited by capt wally; Aug 08, 2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2015, 05:01 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt wally View Post
If it isn't carved in stone in your mind, this needs to be: Pitch controls airspeed, power controls altitude.

Careful there preaching that. Whilst it does work given enough practice with very light A/C it's actually the wrong technique. Pitch controls where you want the plane to go, power controls what it was meant to do in the first place, adjusting airspeed.
You aim where you want the plane to go such as the piano keys on a Rwy using pitch (get the horizon where you want it in the window) & then all you have to do is add or reduce power to keep on speed, it's dead easy but sadly it's being taught all the wrong way these days.
Obviously in the above situation it's a stable environment but pitch will change airspeed if power is not changed also.

This technique is used every day in larger A/C with auto thrust etc.

CW
With all due respect, I can't disagree more strongly with that.

In over 30 years of flying both full size and models, 20 of which were spent professionally as a command pilot, CFI and/or company instructor, I've seen again and again that anyone who doesn't understand and work within the limitations of any given plane's drag curve and how it relates to power available (or not, in gliders and power-off scenarios) is going to have problems.

There is a subtle interplay between the forces at work, particularly induced vs. parasite drag, that sometimes isn't all that intuitive but is absolutely critical to understand if one's aim is good flying practices.

To put it in a really limited way, the two most serious results are seen with:

A) pilots finding themselves too high on final diving for the runway, building up an excess of airspeed that ends in an overshoot, and:

B) worse, a pilot trying to 'stretch' a glide in an engine-out situation. In the latter, they keep increasing pitch but once below best L/D speed that pesky induced drag comes into play, drastically increasing sink rate or terminating in an approach stall if the critical angle of attack is exceeded.

I used to enjoy taking a student up in a bugsmasher, having them establish level, trimmed flight at best L/D (same as best glide) speed, and first, having them pitch up...the result as induced drag kicks in at the now-reduced airspeed is of course the airplane will descend (after an initial slight increase in altitude from inertia) since it now has a deficit of power for that airspeed.

Even more fun was having the student establish level trimmed flight below best L/D (and of course above stall speed for the configuration the plane's in) and ask them to pitch forward slightly, wait and watch.

Again, inertia would cause a light dip in altitude, but with less induced drag, once it stabilized the airplane would climb, since it now had a surplus of power for that speed.

Completely NOT what Hollywood oversimplifies to show what pitch does, but seeing it happen made believers out of them....and best of all, I knew my students (or colleagues in my company instructor time) would be well prepared for any situation that might arise when they were off on a solo cross-country trip.

And yeah, I did have a few coworkers...professional pilots, mind you...who'd been taught the pitch-for-altitude/power-for-airspeed fallacy that were happy to shed it once they saw for themselves how planes work, and with both them and low time students, seeing that light bulb come on in their heads and their faces light up was mighty gratifying for me.
Last edited by mu2freighter; Aug 08, 2015 at 05:09 PM.