New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2015, 03:50 AM
Find More Posts by Harlem
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2014
321 Posts
Discussion
List HobbyKing Dogs Here

I know HK have a very bad reputation of churning out bad flying, badly built, badly designed and generally bad planes.
But i keep hearing people say some of them are good?
Just thought i would share and publicise the bad ones from personal experience,,,
so other people don't waste their money and time also.
After giving them so many chances to get it right, i think i have wasted enough money and finally learnt,,
''something ain't cheap if it don't do the job''.

Worst to best (but still a dog).
(note the balsa planes are even worse! not listed here)

MXS 37.5" Green profile
Fury
Yak 55 1096mm
Gee Bee 3D 1000mm
Extra 330 870mm
Extra 300S 880mm
Edge 540 960mm
Mini Saturn EPO
Harlem is offline Find More Posts by Harlem
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2015, 03:32 PM
Find More Posts by 1101
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
698 Posts
You used to like these planes, what happened ?
Extra 330 870mm
Edge 540 960mm
1101 is online now Find More Posts by 1101
Old May 01, 2015, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by magnetman
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
You used to like these planes, what happened ?
Extra 330 870mm
Edge 540 960mm
I was given an HK extra 300 (870)( balsa) as a retirement present, and I can't fault the build standard at all.

Some things haven't been thought through though, such as a very weak tailskid attachment to the rudder only, plus the lower rudder hinge is in the way anyway.
I made up a fixed one to the rear fuselage.

The instructions say to make a z bend at both ends of all the control rods - pretty difficult as you would have to install one end first and do the bend in situ. (for elev/rudder). Best to use couplers on the servo end with the existing z bend on the control horn, or vice versa. For the ailerons - i think the wire is too large a gauge for the sub micro servo arms, and if you z bend both ends , there is no flexibility for adjustments.

Finally, I had to put 17 grams of lead in the tail to get the C of G right at 60mm from the L/E.

Having said all that it looks great, see how she flies soon but i am not expecting any issues - it is very light even with the weight in the tail (600g approx).

Photos soon
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old May 01, 2015, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,636 Posts
On some of my scratchbuilds I'll put a Z bend in both ends of the pushrod. Hook one end into the control horn on the flying surface. I then take the servo arm off the servo, hook the arm to the Z bend , then put the arm back on the servo. These are the most durable servo ends and why I use them . Sometimes I'll put a V bend in the wire near the end for minor adjustments. It also act like a shock absorber on those less than perfect landings.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 01, 2015, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,640 Posts
Just totally LOLOLOLOLed at the name of this thread... had to check it out.

OK, carry on

Hobby King 64mm EDF Flying Shark (Crashed) (1 min 10 sec)
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member