SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by mhills51
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
14,381 Posts
Discussion
550/600 logo clone build

For my winter project I am building a 550 clone carbon fiber logo. As the logo's can be set up for different sizes. The frame I am using is a tarot 500/600 CF frame that can run 520-690mm blades.

I don't have the money for a 12cell setup so I am building it as a 550. If I had the money it would be a Logo and it wouldn't be a winter project lol!

Here is a picture of the frame from Infinity Hobby that was on clearance for $123. It is the silver or white. The black frame is a perfect clone of Logo's $351 CF frame kit. It is more popular because Logo lovers' would not be able to tell the difference.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:20 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
14,381 Posts
I got a few more parts in. I am using as many KDS600 parts as they seem to be mostly clone of the Logo's. I am using the KDS550 tail boom and belt. So far other than needing a shim here and there most reports seem to say they are. The parts I have received so far fit perfectly. One difference I have noticed it the KDS don't use a different mounting area for the skids between 550 and 600 so the pipes look a little long. The landing gear mount screw holes are spaced the same, but KDS uses smaller screws.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:29 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
14,381 Posts
I could use the 600 skid location on the frame, but I think I will be using a logo 500 canopy and it won't fit with the skids there. I have a email into one of our local Logo guy's that has now purchased the tarot CF frame after seeing mine first hand to see if there is a huge difference between the 500 and 600 canopy.

Update, Infinity has raised the price of the white frame back up to $189
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by jombo
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,819 Posts
WOW that looks AWESOME !!! You could see if an Align or Viper 600 motor will fit to run on 6 cells , thats what i have in my Chaos 600 , Viper 1400kv motor . Hobby King has the KDS / Logo clones too , way too much for my blood ..... for now
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by jombo
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,819 Posts
Sorry , just looked again at the hk version . It is areal poor copy of the logo. Not even in the same league .
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,757 Posts
Hk version ? or KDS version ? What makes it a poor copy at $400 barebones, for a 550 kit ?

Hk web site states: KDS is a high quality brand that you can trust. They are well known in the PRO helicopter world performing very well in 3DMasters, 3DX and other R/C model helicopter flight competitions around the globe.
Is this untrue ??
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Nov 12, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by V999D02
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
Sorry , just looked again at the hk version . It is areal poor copy of the logo. Not even in the same league .
+1

I'll just stick to my real Micky 400.

It's one thing cloning Trex, but cloning upper mid-range brands like Mikado is just wrong IMO.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:35 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
+1

I'll just stick to my real Micky 400.

It's one thing cloning Trex, but cloning upper mid-range brands like Mikado is just wrong IMO.

"Regarding the comments about these helis being Mikado clones: To be honest, that is not a fair statement. I think the reason people say that is because the frames are rounded which yes is a similar shape to Mikado (just when compared to an Align or other square shaped frame heli). That's about where the similarities end. The head, the main shaft bearing blocks, the motor mount, the battery tray, boom blocks, tail boom and gear system are all completely different. Even the frame is completely different than Mikados despite the curved front and rear. I think this hardly constitutes a clone". All in all does a ford truck not look like a chevy ? ( think about this one real hard before you respond, You may look bad)

"Yes KDS may not be coming in first place in every competition (though they did take 1st place in the synchro comp), but Align is not either these days. That does not mean either is not a high quality machine. KDS helis are simple and well built machines and of course cost higher than the lower quality "clone" helis currently on the market".

Do some home work, Anybody else having doubts, or is on the fence about the KDS line-up p.m GhostFlyer1 Who has been flying them for 2 years now and get his take on the matter.
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Nov 12, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Regarding the comments about these helis being Mikado clones: To be honest, that is not a fair statement. I think the reason people say that is because the frames are rounded which yes is a similar shape to Mikado (just when compared to an Align or other square shaped frame heli). That's about where the similarities end. The head, the main shaft bearing blocks, the motor mount, the battery tray, boom blocks, tail boom and gear system are all completely different. Even the frame is completely different than Mikados despite the curved front and rear. I think this hardly constitutes a clone. All in all does a ford truck not look like a chevy ? ( think about this one real hard before you respond, You may look bad)

Yes KDS may not be coming in first place in every competition (though they did take 1st place in the synchro comp), but Align is not either these days. That does not mean either is not a high quality machine. KDS helis are simple and well built machines and of course cost higher than the lower quality "clone" helis currently on the market.

Do some home work. -Haters will hate-.
I just don't agree with funding companies who clone, sorry.

This is why I bought an X5 and Logo 400, because I wanted to be different to Mr Smith at the other end of the field with His Trex or HK, Tarot, EXI clone, etc, etc...

Call me elitist, call me what you want, but I'm a GREAT BELIEVER in buying the best you can afford as opposed to cheaping out. I do it in every hobby I've had/have.

As my Dad said; If you're gonna do it, do it right.

As well as the frame pictured, there are other similarities to the Micky 400... You just need to look carefully to witness it.

At the end of the Day, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine.

I respectfully disagree about some points aired though.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by jombo
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,819 Posts
Quote:
Hk version ? or KDS version ? What makes it a poor copy at $400 barebones, for a 550 kit ?

Hk web site states: KDS is a high quality brand that you can trust. They are well known in the PRO helicopter world performing very well in 3DMasters, 3DX and other R/C model helicopter flight competitions around the globe.
Is this untrue ??
Quote:
"Regarding the comments about these helis being Mikado clones: To be honest, that is not a fair statement. I think the reason people say that is because the frames are rounded which yes is a similar shape to Mikado (just when compared to an Align or other square shaped frame heli). That's about where the similarities end. The head, the main shaft bearing blocks, the motor mount, the battery tray, boom blocks, tail boom and gear system are all completely different. Even the frame is completely different than Mikados despite the curved front and rear. I think this hardly constitutes a clone". All in all does a ford truck not look like a chevy ? ( think about this one real hard before you respond, You may look bad)

"Yes KDS may not be coming in first place in every competition (though they did take 1st place in the synchro comp), but Align is not either these days. That does not mean either is not a high quality machine. KDS helis are simple and well built machines and of course cost higher than the lower quality "clone" helis currently on the market".

Do some home work, Anybody else having doubts, or is on the fence about the KDS line-up p.m GhostFlyer1 Who has been flying them for 2 years now and get his take on the matter.
Hahahahaa , yes its a Mikado Logo clone . please there is a bridge for sale on the internet , i think its in San Fransisco. its in the internet so its true .
i would buy the tarrot one before i buy the HK one ,just because i am smart , thats what the internet said so its true .
Dont know what you mean about dodge , ford or chevy , not even close as the same , my Dodge has 20 inch tires on a 1500 series , chevy has 16 inch , and ford has 17. My Dodge is a true 4 door , chevy nope ford nope . Sorry not even close with your description

the only thing that comes close to even being the same is they burn gas
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,757 Posts
Thats fine. Just know that Mhills is a true hobbyist at heart and takes great joy in all his builds and projects. No reason to come in here and muck up his thread As you have in others. Either have his back for the project he is now in, Or gracefully bow out.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by jombo
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,819 Posts
so , bow down . your the one coming here saying about clones starting the uproar . if you read my statement the tarrot one is a better clone than the KDS clone .

Quote:
Thats fine. Just know that Mhills is a true hobbyist at heart and takes great joy in all his builds and projects. No reason to come in here and muck up his thread As you have in others. Either have his back for the project he is now in, Or gracefully bow out.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
I can only speak for myself here, but I also believe Jombo isn't here to cause harm. Many, if not all of His contributions amount to good old no holds barred honesty.

This is a forum, and "Constructive criticism" is what's it's all about I think.

If we all agreed with each other, it would be like the sub-micro Walkera fan-boy forum thread. We don't want that!

It's more serious here.

Let's all shake hands, have a pint, and hope that MHills Mikado clone doesn't bring shame on the legendary and great Logo line.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,757 Posts
Jombo: What makes the tarot clone a better frame then KDS ? Please inform me and go into length on the matter so we all have a better understanding.
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Nov 12, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
Again Lmao @ the "smart one". Who started the bashing ? Re-read Mhills post and you will find that he is using KDS parts. Do you even realize what you write and when ? Im correcting you, And your back peddling now. Again i say to you. "HK" has no version of mikado Logo . KDS does . Do you understand this ?
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Nov 12, 2012 at 04:55 PM.