HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2005, 06:08 AM
Flying for the fun of it
Brisbane
Joined Sep 2005
283 Posts
Workplace condition... How to keep clean

Hi,
I have been in this hobby for about 5 months now, and have junked up my lounge room with bits of planes and tools so much, that you can hardly walk in it. I have seen a couple of photos on other forums, and they are also a bit messy. Have any of you come up with an easy or effective way of keeping your workplace clean and tidy?

Beep.

P.S. I have just been forced to spend 3 hours cleaning up the room, and it is still messy!!!!
beep684 is offline Find More Posts by beep684
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2005, 08:54 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
A local builder-flyer uses two thirds of his apartments living room. He has two work benches and rack storage for his planes. He puts all of his tools away each evening and sweeps and vacuums. Carpet is showing a bit of wear but hardly any dust of sorts. He also has planes stored in his bedroom and garage.

Yes he is not married.

Another flyer I've know for years is totally out of control. He is limited to half his garage (yes he is married) and can not bring planes and bits into the house by mutual agreement. He has a stool and a two foot square area that he builds in. How he keeps that little area from becoming the morass the rest of the garage is I don't know. If I get over to his place sometime this week I'll take pictures!!!
SoCalGliderFlyr is offline Find More Posts by SoCalGliderFlyr
Old Oct 10, 2005, 01:15 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
I am married (2+ years coming up to anniversary)
wife has given up - living room is a mess - but then - you only live once
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Old Oct 10, 2005, 06:18 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beep684@hotmail.
Have any of you come up with an easy or effective way of keeping your workplace clean and tidy?
A clean and tidy building shop is a sure sign that the owner is either retired or is a twisted puppy.

Clean (but not all that tidy) is something else. When you really get into this lunatic hobby you may find that you _need_ a whole-shop powered air filter, a dust collector/vacuum system, etc., etc., etcetera.

One thing I'm sure of - there's no such thing as a large-enough building shop, so the owners of these building shops spend some percentage of their building time moving piles of stuff out of the way so they can work on other piles of stuff.

When the shop air conditioner went down last year, I had to move several piles of stuff so I could get the a/c out where I could work on it, and had to move even more piles of stuff when I found I needed to drag the torch, vacuum pump, etc., into the building shop to fix a leak in the condenser.

I finally gave up. Bought a 7'x16' V-nose tandem axle trailer for the finished models to live in full-time when not being flogged about the circuit.

Hasn't made one bit of difference in the number of piles of stuff in the building shop I have to move so I can work on my other stuff in the building shop.
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Old Oct 10, 2005, 06:24 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
A place for everything, and everything in its place.
Friday Tidy.

Thats what I was taught in real life, and, it works.

If you stick to it.

If course on Mionday out came all the gear we had tidied on Friday, or SOME of it, and that was the point..if we didn't really need it, it stayed in its place.

It didn't make us better engineers, but it did save time looking for the spectrum analyser.

There was at least a 25% chance it was 'in its place' and if it wasn't, it was in use...

Of copurse now its teh other way around. Everything on the bench and only put away when space becomes too small to lay out a 72" wing...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 11, 2005, 01:41 AM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
279 Posts
There can be such a thing as too much room

I used to have one-half of my small home office room to build in. One .8x1.5m table that I collapsed when I was done building, and a couple of shelves. Everyday Tidy, pretty much.

Now I have a much larger hobby room. (I sleep in the small room now... since that's about all I do there it doesn't need to be large. The advantages of being single ). A permanent building table, lots of shelf space, a few cupboards... and of course I now have room for a drill press, scroll saw, etc. Permanent table = permanent mess. If I don't have to clean up, I won't.

This is what I was taught in real life... any available space will fill itself up without any effort from your part. If I had a 10x10m room to work in, it would still be a mess.

I do try and put my tools away after each building session, as well as throw away scrap balsa and such. If you let it build up, you'll only be put off more and more from having to sort through the dreaded Heap.
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:28 AM
Chico, California USA
Joined Mar 2003
462 Posts
After 40 years of mess I gave up. There are two problems with a messy bench 1) can't find the item I just put down 2) hanger rash from placing wings, fuselages, etc on top of tools.

I solved 2) by buying some of those swimming pool 'noodles' in the hex shape (will not roll). Cut them into 12"-16" lengths, put a wood dowel in the center hole (straightens and adds weight) and use a pair of them to keep what I am working on above the tools. I just live with 1)

Hats off to those with a clean bench!

Wayne
Salmon-Run is offline Find More Posts by Salmon-Run
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:35 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Bench looks pretty clean to me. I like the idea of the foam hex bumpers.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:46 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I can't trust someone with a clean work area, not just a bench!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Oct 11, 2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:01 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Eeeeek!!!
Old Oct 11, 2005, 01:18 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Sparky.. when were you in my place taking pictures? Looks like on a day AFTER I cleaned up
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Oct 11, 2005, 01:51 PM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
279 Posts
Ok Sparky when did you sneak in to take a picture of my workplace?

Hmm that is pretty bad... where do you do your actual building?
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:11 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxje
Ok Sparky when did you sneak in to take a picture of my workplace?

Hmm that is pretty bad... where do you do your actual building?
I had to move from the first place I used to build, couldn't find the bench!
There's a clear space in the photo where I'm building a smallish wing for an electric..
For the larger planes I have a 1x12x72 pine plank which lays on the work area.. after the "stuff" has been cleared off and put back where it belongs.
The basic work area BTW is a drawing board I got 55 years ago in Germany.
I believe it's made from 3/4" (19mm) poplar. It's stayed flat during that time.
Takes pins well, and gets an occasional belt sanding to get the glue lumps off
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Oct 11, 2005, 03:04 PM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Sep 2004
506 Posts
My mantra:

If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what does an empty desk mean?

I've attached my current mind set. Funny, I don't feel any smarter.................
DougC is offline Find More Posts by DougC
Old Oct 11, 2005, 03:36 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,288 Posts
My whole oversized 2 car garage looks like Sparky's picture...

Beep, it's just part of being a modeler.... get used to it.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews