HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2014, 05:39 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Well she's back in stock at the US and Euro warehouses.
But I see they increased the price from $400 to $471 logged in
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24001
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2014, 08:39 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Yup.. I'll take nose heavy for a little while

I removed 50g today but really couldnt tell if made a difference because it was so windy 20k+ winds that i had my hands full just flying her.

With the wind so strong I learned that full flaps is not a good idea on landing. It porpused like crazy. I went around but this time with half flaps. . Much better
Heavy wind I use no flaps. Full flaps for no wind conditions.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:00 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Hey Bill aka...erie_flyer .. We (SMAC members) have finally got our new field

How does a 4klm long flight line sound? 2klm deep Our new sod field has been lifted so its like a gigantic paved runway and will be this way till September

I haven't flown the spit in 3 weeks as I broke the prop and thought I would order them from HK again. Im done!! no more from HK. I ordered the props 3 weeks ago and they said they shipped them, which they did after 2 days and then they sat in Malaysia for 2 MORE WEEKS!!! before they finally shipped them out yesterday???? now its 10 more days to get here and 2 days in customs. Screw that!! NO MORE HK.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Jun 15, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:13 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
841 Posts
Wow...........that is some runway!!

I thought the Orangeville R/C field was big at 300x50 yds E/W with a 100x50 N/S tee in the middle where the flight stations are. It is an old ultralite field. Your new field looks like Area 69. Watch out for little green men.

Yep............HK is a head scratcher. I have heard so many guys swear off. Myself, I have received an order 11 days after ordering and the next one will be 31 days. No rhyme or reason. But.........incredible selection, great prices and no taxes. Just have to be philosophical about the wait. Can't order stuff that is needed Right Now or you are setting yourself up for a Rob Ford holiday.

Enjoy your new field. Don't climb into any flying saucers.

Bill
erie_flyer is online now Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Old Jun 22, 2014, 07:43 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
For the Blooper files

Well was all the extra work I put into the spit worth it? Hell Yah!

I went against my better judgment yesterday and decided to take off even though the mid range was burping a bit. Big mistake She took off and then quit right away. It glided a bit then the left wing hit a bush and spun her around and it crashed into the river bank on the other side. 2 hours later I was able to recover it. The river is about 8' across and 4' deep with very steep banks. When i got to the plane, incredibly the only damage was a broken prop and a pushed in wire mesh on the wings mock radiator.

Poor quality video here
002 (0 min 48 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2014, 08:17 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
We have an ex- RCAF CF-104 pilot at our field. He once told me, the most 2 useless things to a pilot, Altitude above you and runway behind you.

Glad to hear of so little damage!!!!!!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:50 AM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
841 Posts
Nice save!!!

You did exactly the right thing and kept going straight ahead. Chances of least damage. A turn would probably give a stall splat!

I am breaking in DLE 20 RA and NGH GT17 gassers on my .61 Escapade and have had the same thing happen. Flying great the day before but flame-out the next day. Usually happens with a big change in air mass. Cool dry Arctic air blows out warm humid U.S. stuff or vice-versa.

Same thing would happen with the Quadra and Zenoah gassers I was running 20 years ago.

Now I have a DLE digital tach mounted inside the cockpit that I can see through the canopy while I am running up the engine. If the RPM has gone high and is not 200 below max on the ground I tweak the Walbro carb high speed needle a squinch richer.

Bill
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:24 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erie_flyer View Post
Flying great the day before but flame-out the next day. Usually happens with a big change in air mass. Cool dry Arctic air blows out warm humid U.S. stuff or vice-versa.

Bill
Our engines go rich with humid air so if you can tune it on a 35% day you should be good for all conditions. I hit a lot of funfly's and the elevation changes added with the humidity can make life interesting.

I use subway straws to get to the needles. The straws fit right over the needle and spring and guide and hold my screwdriver on the needle. Including the high speed needle running wide open. Easy to find the rich side of peak that way.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:50 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Im really getting to like this plane! The engine is awsome and the plane flys like its on rails now. I added more throws to the ailerons and lessened the expo. On the elevator I lessened the throws and the expo.

Here's a short video. Sorry about the quality but my 80 year old dad did his best.

Is anybody else flying this bird? How did the 2 other guys make out

274 (1 min 16 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:10 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
569 Posts
That thing looks great in the air, very inspirational! I've been up and down with this project, participation in our club has dropped off to nothing and there are no warbird guys so it's easy to shove a project in the corner. With posts like that I may be tempted to pull my spit out and put the prop on it! lol!

Luke
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:10 PM
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
822 Posts
looking pretty good, vettster! did you forget to put the guns in? i didn't hear them.
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:32 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
That thing looks great in the air, very inspirational! I've been up and down with this project, participation in our club has dropped off to nothing and there are no warbird guys so it's easy to shove a project in the corner. With posts like that I may be tempted to pull my spit out and put the prop on it! lol!

Luke
Get her up!! Youll love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendpilot View Post
looking pretty good, vettster! did you forget to put the guns in? i didn't hear them.
Ive been holding off on the Cannons. Soon though now that all the bugs are worked out.

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2014, 03:18 PM
United States, KS, Olathe
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
I have an 89inch spit from Troy built . I put a 65 cc electric out runner in IT. It flys grate but would like to get a little more flying time . I}m running two 6s 5000 ma batterys would do better on 8000.just saying if any one is thinking about go electric.
mark9 is offline Find More Posts by mark9
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:07 AM
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Im really getting to like this plane! The engine is awsome and the plane flys like its on rails now. I added more throws to the ailerons and lessened the expo. On the elevator I lessened the throws and the expo.

Here's a short video. Sorry about the quality but my 80 year old dad did his best.

Is anybody else flying this bird? How did the 2 other guys make out

http://youtu.be/VAJ0g00U2PA
I think your 80 year old dad did better than about 95% of videos I have seen on RC website/forums! Beautiful plane. The Spitfire is one of the planes that I have never had but always wanted.
cat5752 is offline Find More Posts by cat5752
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:54 AM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
841 Posts
I too think your father did pretty good. Over the past few years I have asked others to video my flights. Usually get fluffy white clouds, green blades of grass and now and then a speck zips by in the air. Not as easy as it looks.

Trevor.........I know you are wondering about HK. I think I have figured out the secret code in their tracking numbers. For Registered International Mail, RQ............SG comes by rocket ship. RC..............MY comes by container ship. Guys on RCC are saying row boat but I think they are exaggerating.

Seems the kicker is anything that looks like a battery. Airlines don`t want anything to do with batteries anymore. I just ordered NiMH batteries and they are now called a LIPO shipment!!?? They have the dreaded RC.......MY code. I turned 70 in March and hope I am not pushing up daisies before they arrive.

Now there is talk Malaysian Airlines may go bankrupt because of recent tragedies. The way things are evolving if you want a reasonable delivery time from HK International go with FedEx. They have a $20 flat rate at the door. Very fast delivery. Send in one big order instead of a bunch of small ones. Put up with the extra cost and be done with it. It will still be cheaper than buying locally and the selection is larger.

JMHO

Bill