Old May 07, 2013, 10:17 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Don,

I run a Hyperion 2S LiFe in an Aspire, 6 digital servos ... in a typical OVSS TD contest where rounds are all 10-15 minutes, an hour of contest and walking out and back time takes about 350 mils out of the pack. I could contest that pack for both days without recharging and still have plenty of headroom for some fun.
I've been running Hyperion 2S LiFe's in the 850 and 1450 size because of weight-in-the-nose and space limitiations. I like them both, but the flat discharge curve of LiFe's kind of negates the accuracy of my battery meters so I am faced with keeping track of time, measuring the refill capacity and hoping I get it all right. Right now, I change the 1450 with every two of my power packs. It works, but it does not give me the same warm feeling that measuring LiPo voltage does. Today my battery meter showed the 1450 at 40 percent when it only took 160 mah on the recharge.

If the Scorpion Backup works, I think the redundancy will give me a little less to worry about.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2013, 11:00 PM
United States, CA, Hesperia
Joined Mar 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharban View Post
I've been running Hyperion 2S LiFe's in the 850 and 1450 size because of weight-in-the-nose and space limitiations. I like them both, but the flat discharge curve of LiFe's kind of negates the accuracy of my battery meters so I am faced with keeping track of time, measuring the refill capacity and hoping I get it all right. Right now, I change the 1450 with every two of my power packs. It works, but it does not give me the same warm feeling that measuring LiPo voltage does. Today my battery meter showed the 1450 at 40 percent when it only took 160 mah on the recharge.

If the Scorpion Backup works, I think the redundancy will give me a little less to worry about.

Happy Landings,

Don
That flat discharge curve is somewhat concerning and possibly deceiving. To a great extent this is what drove me back to the LIPO's. Good to hear someone else is experiencing the same thing.
I'm going to take a look at the Scorpion Backup solution also...basically it's the same thing as I'm currently doing, just smaller (as you say redundancy)...this is a good thing but got to remember to watch the charge condition on it!!!

Rick
GotLift9369 is offline Find More Posts by GotLift9369
Old May 07, 2013, 11:40 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,314 Posts
Exactly how do you go about using a separate battery for the receiver? Just plug a seprate battery into the receiver or what.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old May 08, 2013, 02:19 AM
Joined Mar 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
Exactly how do you go about using a separate battery for the receiver? Just plug a seprate battery into the receiver or what.
Basically yes...and disable the BEC red supply lead from the ESC.
I generally do not even use a switch but a 3-pin Deans for the RX battery.
Rick
Old May 08, 2013, 09:36 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLift9369 View Post
Basically yes...and disable the BEC red supply lead from the ESC.
I generally do not even use a switch but a 3-pin Deans for the RX battery.
Rick
I humbly suggest that you do not plug directly into the RX with the battery. There is considerable wear on the pin side of the junction that is not readily visible. You can damage the rx pins by plugging and unplugging repeatedly. For my DLGs I use a very short servo extension to act as a buffer for me to plug the battery into... .i.e. no wear on the RX.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old May 08, 2013, 11:48 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharban View Post
Well Ed, your post got my curiosity up. I ordered one of the Scorpion Backup batteries and I am going to put it in my light Maxa and use it in conjunction with the onboard BEC that is a part of the CC Ice ESC in the plane. Scorpion generally makes real good stuff.

The onboard BEC is rated at 5 amps and is a switching BEC so heat shouldn't be a problem. I tested my system today and it draws about 0.7 amps with one servo stalled. We'll see how it works.

While I would never, never use the onboard BEC as a stand alone, the notion of a redundant backup system strikes me as being even better than using a totally separate radio battery. With this system TWO components have to fail before you have a problem. We'll see.

Happy Landings,

Don
Sorry for butting in... I have a Castle Phoenix ICE LITE 100 Amp ESC with 5amp switching BEC in my E-Pulsar 3.2REF. I’m running three digital Hitec’s and have the BEC set at 6V. The Pulsar has a slip-on nose so I have to connect the ESC to a pigtail from the Rx throttle each time I fly which is no problem. The pigtail and long servo extensions leading to the tail servos are 22 AWG. Lately I’ve been concerned (trouble sleeping at night) thinking about the small gauge wires from the ESC that feed the Rx. The CC wires are much thinner than the 22 AWG extensions I’m using and I notice this disparity each time I plug in the ESC. I don’t know what AWG CC uses but they don’t look any different than regular individual servo wires. I don’t know if I’d want to feed a full 5 amps. I guess CC must know what they’re doing. My $.02.

Piper J3
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old May 08, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Mar 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
I humbly suggest that you do not plug directly into the RX with the battery. There is considerable wear on the pin side of the junction that is not readily visible. You can damage the rx pins by plugging and unplugging repeatedly. For my DLGs I use a very short servo extension to act as a buffer for me to plug the battery into... .i.e. no wear on the RX.
Very good suggestion....As I stated I use a 3-prong Deans and this should have indicated to you that I'm not plugging and unplugging directly on the RX