HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:38 PM
Beginner Eplane
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Discussion
Fixing my Flutterby

I bought a full sized Flutterby from Jack Frost. It was a work of art. When moving from Kansas to Ohio in the summer, the summer sun broke some of the wing and tail carbon fiber rods. In hind sight, it should have been covered with something white.
How do I go about fixing it? 1. where to buy the carbon fiber rods? 2 how do you bed then to the wing and tail shapes? and how do you glue them?. 4. Do I need to make a wooden mold of the wing and tail first?
newbyone is offline Find More Posts by newbyone
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:39 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,031 Posts
Send it back to Jack, he will fix it.

A word of caution on the Flutter-By, do not leave it in a hot car with the windows rolled up. For some reason when carbon fiber is made, the infuse the carbon fiber with glue and then when Jack bends it there is tension on the CF rods. Heat and CF do not mix well. I had a tail surface that broke because of that. I didn't run into anything.

Sometimes nothing happens to the Flutter-By in the heat in a car, other times it may happen. Many times it is how the glue and CF mix together and CF is made by small strings for carbon fiber and glue and then heated under pressure.

Jack will repair it and you will be good to go. Write or call him.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

I think I most of the carbon fiber process right or close enough.

You probably should have posted this on the Flutter-By thread under parkfliers. That is ok, Jack will see it.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Mar 09, 2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added thoughts