HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Question
Wind Tunnel

Hey everyone,
I have been contracted the build a wind tunnel for my old high school and I don't know where to begin. I was thinking about using an electric motor from a model airplane but I am new to them so I don't know how to go about picking one out. In a perfect world I would need the air to go around 200mph through the tunnel, but to be honest I think I can get away with 50mph. In addition I was thinking about using a 12 inch prop due to the fact that the inside of the wind tunnel is 12", is this the right thinking or should I use a smaller prop and allow the air to move out to fill the volume? Any help would be much appreciated.
hannibal1492 is offline Find More Posts by hannibal1492
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:23 PM
France, RA, Cormaranche-en-Bugey
Joined Feb 2011
535 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if I've clearly understood what you're trying to do.

I can tell you some things about my own wind tunnel.

The test room has a section of 11.8x11.8 inch. I reach a speed of air of 44 mph, using a circular saw motor (with gear), spinning two graupner prop (20x12 inch) at 3700 rpm, consuming 1100 W.

The circular saw motor may not be the best solution, but surely not an expensive one. It needs few adaptations and rpm can be controlled by a simple dimmer (a homemade one is very cheap).
yomgui is offline Find More Posts by yomgui
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Yeah that sounds exactly like what I was thinking. How did you mount the motor in the housing? I had played around with DC vacuum motors but it would torque and the prop would end up hitting the sides.
hannibal1492 is offline Find More Posts by hannibal1492
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:47 PM
France, RA, Cormaranche-en-Bugey
Joined Feb 2011
535 Posts
I've just cut the blade guard and left a small square of it, made four holes and screwed the all thing in place, on a mount, at the end of the diffuser
yomgui is offline Find More Posts by yomgui
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:37 PM
greg
somerset, nj
Joined Feb 2005
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannibal1492 View Post
Hey everyone,
I have been contracted the build a wind tunnel for my old high school and I don't know where to begin. I was thinking about using an electric motor from a model airplane but I am new to them so I don't know how to go about picking one out. In a perfect world I would need the air to go around 200mph through the tunnel, but to be honest I think I can get away with 50mph. In addition I was thinking about using a 12 inch prop due to the fact that the inside of the wind tunnel is 12", is this the right thinking or should I use a smaller prop and allow the air to move out to fill the volume? Any help would be much appreciated.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537588
ciurpita is offline Find More Posts by ciurpita
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
checkout my Blog
Joined Feb 2008
466 Posts
Have a go with this.
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/tunopen.html

Dan
otlski is offline Find More Posts by otlski