Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:34 AM
Jackson, Missouri
Joined Oct 2007
15 Posts
Auction Barn Aracobras

Last winter, my Uncle called me, saying that he'd noticed a couple "Wen Mac model airplanes" listed in the Sale Bill for an auction close to where he lived. We met up for lunch and a day at the Auction!

The planes turned out to be two silver Aracobras, coated with dust and goo. Both were missing their canopies, and one had some ancient, rotted dacron lines wrapped around it's prop shaft!

Seemed to take forever for the auctioneer to get to them, but I finally managed to win them both on a fairly cheap bid.

The engine on one was just castor-stuck, while the other had apparently been forced through, breaking it's connecting rod. Still, not too bad a haul, AND it shows that these things STILL occasionally show up on venues other than dedicated model airplane sites and swap meets.
Cox PT-19 is online now Find More Posts by Cox PT-19
Last edited by Cox PT-19; Aug 13, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2014, 06:23 PM
Joined Sep 2013
7 Posts
Cool story and nice find....I am always on the lookout for neat old airplanes and engines at random places. Oh and nice to see you and your uncle share the hobby, thats awesome.
gliderpilot3610 is offline Find More Posts by gliderpilot3610
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:59 AM
Jackson, Missouri
Joined Oct 2007
15 Posts
Thank you!

My Uncle Wayne got me started in all this great stuff, way back in 1967, when I was 13 or so, stepping in to give me a direction after my parent's divorce.
I owe him big time !!!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:19 AM
Jackson, Missouri
Joined Oct 2007
15 Posts
Call Me The WInd

Seems that there's a lot of vintage plastic slinging about the Skunk Works lately, and Thursday evening brought yet another Golden Oldie flash-back !

My Uncle Wayne bought a Testors 'Cosmic Wind' WAY back in 1968, and we were just SURE it was gonna be THE PLANE !! I mean...how could you go wrong ?....Cool name, cool color, it even had racy wheel fairings !!! It HAD to be a rocket!

Our enthusiasm was soon dampened, as we watched it trundle across the ball diamond's infield dirt...it's little Wen Mac-McCoy-Testors .049 pulling for all it was worth. With a good tug on the handle, it would finally drag itself into the air, making anemic laps until it's fuel was exhausted. Even our official "Slow Plane", Wayne's Jetco Piper Super Cruiser was faster, so the Wind didn't get much respect.

A friend of mine gave me this one a while back, and I finally got around to cleaning the engine and setting the plane up to fly. I had to straighten the elevator/stabilizer assembly, which had acquired a significant downward bend over the years. The elevator STILL has a noticeable kink in it, but it works.

Testors 'Cosmic Wind' (2 min 40 sec)
Last edited by Cox PT-19; Aug 17, 2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:29 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
755 Posts
someone said they were looking for a larger collection of images.. well there is the 049 collectors group on yahoo at

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/049Collectors/info

and then there is my site at ..

http://webpages.charter.net/skylane42/cox.html

links to different manufacturers are at the top.
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:07 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,330 Posts
Glad to see you guys keeping this thread alive!

The Wen-Mac/Testors P-39/P-63 is still one of my favorite airplanes, as is the Cosmic Wind!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Aug 16, 2014, 02:34 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
Most Wen Mac/Testors models benefitted greatly from a Cox fiberglass 6x3 and Cox red can racing fuel. Way more thrust from the prop and the engines responded well to 30% nitro.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Aug 16, 2014, 09:16 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
331 Posts
Excellent thread. Glad to see it's like the Energizer Bunny: Still going!

Say, Cox/Thimble-Drome made an RTF called the "Spook". I think it was a combat-type "flying wing" that was supposed to be quite maneuverable. Do any of you have one, and if so, can you share a picture of it?

Thanks!
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:26 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
It looked somewhat like an all-plastic version of the "Big Otto", in my opinion, with clear mylar covering over the wing ribs. It might have had a higher aspect ratio wing, though.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/images/th...odels/4082.jpg
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:03 AM
Jackson, Missouri
Joined Oct 2007
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Excellent thread. Glad to see it's like the Energizer Bunny: Still going!

Say, Cox/Thimble-Drome made an RTF called the "Spook". I think it was a combat-type "flying wing" that was supposed to be quite maneuverable. Do any of you have one, and if so, can you share a picture of it?

Thanks!
Here is a page from Mark's fantastic collection of photos over on his .049 Collectors group. One of our members over at CEF was going to make templates from a Spook so one could be built from balsa, but I'm not sure if he completed all the tracing.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...bums/898099955

As Kiwi said, they have a similar planform as Walt Musciano's "Big Otto"...my personal favorite of all the great Scientific Kits.
Last edited by Cox PT-19; Aug 17, 2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 01:26 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,330 Posts
I have a Spook in reasonably good shape (Ebay find), but can't get to it right now. When I am able to, I will snap a photograph of it.

I seem to recall that the engine back is somewhat different-similar to the one used in the Corsair and Stuka, but machined from metal instead of the usual molded plastic.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 01:28 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
331 Posts
Kiwi:

Thanks for some input.

Never was a fan of the esthetics of the Big Otto. Probably a great flyer, just never liked the looks.

PT:

Thanks for the pics of an Otto. As for pics of the Spook: Alas, one must be a member to view the pics linked.

Oh well!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 01:53 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
755 Posts
spook
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Aug 17, 2014, 01:56 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
331 Posts
Thanks for that pic of a Cox "Spook"!

Wow, very different than the rest of the Cox airplanes. Apparently the purchaser had to cover it and assemble it? I'll bet those are rare as hen's teeth in the collector market.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:20 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,330 Posts
" I'll bet those are rare as hen's teeth in the collector market. "

It took me over 30 years to find one (granted, I was not looking the entire time).