HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:39 AM
H2oSmokey
Mill Creek, WA
Joined Jun 2009
83 Posts
Discussion
JR X347 Current?

Any info on the X347 with 2.4ghz module current draw?
dainw is offline Find More Posts by dainw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dainw View Post
Any info on the X347 with 2.4ghz module current draw?
Roughly 250 mA as I recall.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:27 PM
H2oSmokey
Mill Creek, WA
Joined Jun 2009
83 Posts
Thanks. . . I have been having a possible short or open someplace. On the shelf the battery will run down to 9.8v in about 5 hours. I've wiggled the sticks some to see what that does. In practice the xmtr runs down to low voltage tone in less than 2 hours of op time and won't switch on (screen remains dark). Battery is 1500ma NiMh pack. It checks out as 10v when removed from the xmtr. I have noted a audible beep from the xmtr when the case is "gently" bumped or squeezed. I don't want to sent it back to Horizon, they have looked at it twice returned it as "fixed" with no charge; even gave me a new battery and repaired a switch. Mystery. ??
(8?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:52 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. . . I have been having a possible short or open someplace. On the shelf the battery will run down to 9.8v in about 5 hours. I've wiggled the sticks some to see what that does. In practice the xmtr runs down to low voltage tone in less than 2 hours of op time and won't switch on (screen remains dark). Battery is 1500ma NiMh pack. It checks out as 10v when removed from the xmtr. I have noted a audible beep from the xmtr when the case is "gently" bumped or squeezed. I don't want to sent it back to Horizon, they have looked at it twice returned it as "fixed" with no charge; even gave me a new battery and repaired a switch. Mystery. ??
(8?
250 mA times 5 hours is 1250 mAh. That's pretty good considering that at 9.8 volts you are only using part of the charge of a 1500 mAh battery. How long does it take to get to say 9.0 volts, which is about where you would expect the battery to be when considered fully discharged (about 1.1 volt/cell)?

Note that the 250 is an estimate, but it's in the right ball park.

I don't see that you have a problem. Sounds like you are expecting too much.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
H2oSmokey
Mill Creek, WA
Joined Jun 2009
83 Posts
I'll test it down to 9.0v. I may put a load on it with the discharge cycle of the charger and see how long it takes to get an estimate. The nasty part is the 2 hour run time then the in ability to get it to turn on once I shut down. I've got more testing to do. Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:43 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
Just to be clear, I wouldn't normally run a transmitter with NiMH battery down below 9.6. My point was really that the 1500 capacity of the battery is measured at something like 9.0, but the safely usable capacity (down to say 9.6) is significantly less.

Note also that my 250 mA is off the top of my head. The actual drain should be measured, but it should be in about that range as I recall.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
H2oSmokey
Mill Creek, WA
Joined Jun 2009
83 Posts
I'm not sure about the drain. I know that the 2.4 radio systems use less current than the 72/75mhz models. I've got a call in to Horizon as well. The test of the draw at 250ma is to begin this afternoon. I'm considering opening it up to see if there is a loose wire or a possible ground when the xmtr is bumped or squeezed. I don't have connections to measure the actual draw as yet, I'm trying to get some of the battery connectors from Horizon, they don't stock the connector on the PC board, just the battery lead and connector.
Thanks . . .I'll keep ya posted.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:10 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure about the drain. I know that the 2.4 radio systems use less current than the 72/75mhz models. I've got a call in to Horizon as well. The test of the draw at 250ma is to begin this afternoon. I'm considering opening it up to see if there is a loose wire or a possible ground when the xmtr is bumped or squeezed. I don't have connections to measure the actual draw as yet, I'm trying to get some of the battery connectors from Horizon, they don't stock the connector on the PC board, just the battery lead and connector.
Thanks . . .I'll keep ya posted.
I'm not sure what problem you are trying to solve, as you seem to be getting quite normal results from that battery.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:01 AM
H2oSmokey
Mill Creek, WA
Joined Jun 2009
83 Posts
The short version is that the xmtr cut's out and goes dark and won't turn back on after about 2 hours of run time; and 1500ma battery meters at > 10v afterwards. Thus the research project to resolve that mystery.