HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Mar 2013
79 Posts
Ok, you are right, your battery plate is shorter than the others, it might be because you have an old version (Spidex V1).

Contact me on this email address: qu4ternium@gmail.com

Quatermium crew
QUATERNIUM is offline Find More Posts by QUATERNIUM
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2013, 05:22 PM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
242 Posts
spidex with brushless gimbal

Here you have the very first flight with the new brushless gimbal designed by www.quaternium.es. Avaible very soon. It weight only 270 gr with hero3 and it will be compatible with all version of spidex. More videos are coming!

Spidex V.2 Testing the new brushless gimbal (RAW video, no post pro) (1 min 32 sec)
moriwaky is online now Find More Posts by moriwaky
Old Apr 04, 2013, 06:04 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
very impressive.
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Apr 04, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
I really like your gimbal. My first thought was to adapt it to my TBS Discovery. But since your frame is relatively inexpensive and they are made for each other, it probably would be easiest just to move my motors and electronics over to your platform.

I have Sunnysky 2216 V800 motors, DJI 30A ESCs, 3000mah 4S batts, Graupner 9inch E-Flite props, and Fatshark FPV. Will these be a good match for your frame and gimbal? I think you are using larger motors than I have.

¿cuánto cuesta y cuando?
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; Apr 04, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 03:35 AM
Joined Mar 2013
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
I really like your gimbal. My first thought was to adapt it to my TBS Discovery. But since your frame is relatively inexpensive and they are made for each other, it probably would be easiest just to move my motors and electronics over to your platform.

I have Sunnysky 2216 V800 motors, DJI 30A ESCs, 3000mah 4S batts, Graupner 9inch E-Flite props, and Fatshark FPV. Will these be a good match for your frame and gimbal? I think you are using larger motors than I have.

¿cuánto cuesta y cuando?
We use shorter motors, but the rest of components are suitable for a Spidex project.
The price will be within 150-200€ and we don't know any release date, sorry.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 04:42 AM
Joined Mar 2013
41 Posts
Very unique design at such a reasonable price, I will get one when you are ready.
I would love to know which control board you are using? I heard some BLG run by STM32 CPU, their response times even 4 times faster than Alexmos control board.
By the way, do you offer full carbon version? I think it may bring down the weight to 400g or less.

The owner channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/white1203/videos?view=0

Still under testing, but already look good enough
TMF Brushless Gimbal with new motors (3 min 54 sec)
fpvboy is offline Find More Posts by fpvboy
Old Apr 05, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Mar 2013
79 Posts
Pre-orders imminent at www.quaternium.es

From Quaternium are not used to make this kind of orders, but given the success of the Gimbal, we are going to offer this possibility.

The price for the Gimbal set(including plate + IMU and motors) will be 225$ and we offer the option of repayment in case of any unforeseen problems during production.

There will also be available the option of purchasing the frame SPIDEX V.2+Gimbal for 300$.

The delivery time will be approximately two weeks. And units of the pre-order will be limited to 15 units.

http://quaternium.es/product.php?id_product=45

Quaternium team
Old Apr 05, 2013, 12:11 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Thanks, I just ordered your Spidex V2 and brushless gimbal along with extra arms. I guess it would be nice to have some spare motor mounts too but your site shows those as being out of stock. The photo of the Spidex frame shows a servo tilting mount for a GoPro. I don't need that of course since I am ordering the gimbal.

I plan to use my 2216 Sunnysky V800 motors on this with a 4S battery as they should be strong enough to lift the weight with no problem. But I am not sure what you meant when you answered my previous question where you said you use "shorter motors." Surely the shape can't make any difference, just the power.

I am really looking forward to this. I'll read through this thread and see what others have set up. I was so impressed with your gimbal design and price that I just bought it without doing much research on your frame. I hope it all works out well. Any information you can provide in advance regarding assembly and setup of the Spidex and adjustment of the gimbal would be appreciated so that I can be fully prepared once it arrives. Is this information going to be posted on your site?
Last edited by AlanGold; Apr 05, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimat View Post
I liked what I saw and fixed what I didn't like - which is why I bought this frame. The battery tray was too short so I cut a longer one. Its getting a brushless gimbal installed next. Not many other frames allow the same flexibility.
Hi Altimat. I kind of impulsively ordered the gimbal today for my Disco since they said only 15 could be pre-ordered for shipment - possibly in 2 weeks. And I also ordered the Spidex V2 frame just in case I can't mount the gimbal to the Disco and need to use parts from the Spidex V2 frame.

But I really have no idea how good this frame is since I didn't check it out in advance and of course I am just going on photos and that one flight video to judge the gimbal. I may end up moving everything from the Disco to that frame. If I can somehow come up with a good and simple way to attach the gimbal to my Disco without using parts from the frame, I guess I'll put the frame up for sale.

So first, what do you think of the frame?

Anyway, I see you replaced a lot of screws and the foam bushings, etc. If it is not too much trouble, please tell me what you think I should get so I can be ready when my frame and gimbal arrive.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 11:41 PM
Joined Mar 2013
41 Posts
Can you provide more details of which controller board?
or can I order the set without controller plate and IMU?
fpvboy is offline Find More Posts by fpvboy
Old Apr 07, 2013, 06:20 PM
FPV Recon
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Nov 2005
195 Posts
I love the frame design. The screws are fine, but I replaced them with aluminum and SS screws where I could though its not necessary. If you use a larger battery the weight overcomes the damping provided by the soft foam bushings. You may be able to get away with some additional washers - or replace them with rubber grommets. It may take experimentation.

I have some Cyllka gimbals coming and if you find they may be more suitable to adapting to a disco we can probably work out a cash/trade on the Spidex stuff if it ends up not working out for you.

One shortcoming is definitely space compared to most other designs. If you are going with all the goodies it gets very tight quickly.
Altimat is offline Find More Posts by Altimat
Old Apr 07, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimat View Post
One shortcoming is definitely space compared to most other designs. If you are going with all the goodies it gets very tight quickly.
Thanks for the info. I don't want to get ahead of myself and I expect it all to work out fine. Thanks for the possibility of a cash/trade if it doesn't work out. The more I think about it, I probably will use their frame and gimbal as a combo and sell the Disco frame which isn't expensive enough to worry about. I expect the Spidex to work well and I see that they have the ESCs in the frame. I may attach them to the arms if I need to gain some space. I haven't done any studying on how people set up the Spidex.

While we are still in the dark about some aspects of the gimbal it has occurred to me the fact that it is non-adjustable and only for a GoPro 3 should make it possible for them to sell it programed and ready to fly.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 04:14 AM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't want to get ahead of myself and I expect it all to work out fine. Thanks for the possibility of a cash/trade if it doesn't work out. The more I think about it, I probably will use their frame and gimbal as a combo and sell the Disco frame which isn't expensive enough to worry about. I expect the Spidex to work well and I see that they have the ESCs in the frame. I may attach them to the arms if I need to gain some space. I haven't done any studying on how people set up the Spidex.

While we are still in the dark about some aspects of the gimbal it has occurred to me the fact that it is non-adjustable and only for a GoPro 3 should make it possible for them to sell it programed and ready to fly.
Hi! Please check out my vimeo channel and you will find what the spidex is capable to do. I am very proud of this frame because I helped on the desing. You will not be disapointed when you recibed yours I am sure.

Now with the brushless gimball the spidex is one big step ahead and the result are amazing.

Imagine if I would have the brushless gimbal when I did this video...

SPIDEX V2 GOES PRO! (3 min 53 sec)
moriwaky is online now Find More Posts by moriwaky
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriwaky View Post
Hi! Please check out my vimeo channel and you will find what the spidex is capable to do. I am very proud of this frame because I helped on the desing. You will not be disapointed when you recibed yours I am sure.

Now with the brushless gimball the spidex is one big step ahead and the result are amazing.

Imagine if I would have the brushless gimbal when I did this video...

https://vimeo.com/55604800
Thanks, I agree it looks good and your videos are excellent. I am anxious to get started with it.

Originally I was just looking for a gimbal to use on my Discovery and didn't want to go through the hassle of taking it all apart to build a new one from the parts. But if that is the best way forward, no problem.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Well now I am getting even more anxious for the gimbal. Although foliage is not green yet, I started shooting some test video today for one of my clients. And it was too windy to get anything smooth. I did learn a lot from doing it though. I'll see if I can edit some short clips.