HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 31, 2012, 09:31 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
I think I willl convert back to brushed motor and keep this BLmotor and esc for a cp heli build kit. What size would you think I should buy to be the best match for this BL motor?
HK250GT. It's carbon fibre with all CNC metal head, tail and all mounts and cross brackets. I am just about finished mine, only awaiting a tail servo.
If you need a good transmitter, I would recommend the Devo 8S. It's touch screen and a real beauty. I have 5 heli's on it now and have room for 12. It is also a plug and play for the Phoenix Sim with no adapters. You would need a 7ch RX to fit the 250.
As far as converting back to brushed, not me. After my last several flights with the 3s battery, I love the response. The motor is barely luke warm after a flight. The battery is probably warmer.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Last edited by BThirsk; May 31, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 10:27 AM
Registered User
seefest's Avatar
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
Sorry mate I do not agree abt the tx being garbage. It does it's job very well and you really can't compare it to the V911 tx come on what is it that the V911 tx has better than the MJX one??? The V911 tx feels more precise to you because the heli is small and nimble can't compare to a heli 5 6 times larger mate sorry!! And it has throttle settings, airelon and elev and rudder as well not just slow or fast rates you can customise it much better than the V911 tx and you can use mode 1 or mode 2 the v911 tx doesn't have those. But I won't say the V911 tx is garbage because it's a cheap alternative for people who want to fly to have fun and not worry abt crashing a breaking expensive parts!!
You're entitled to your opinion.......thats what makes the world go round. Just a note. I've been in RC since the early 80's. I've owned just about every popular make of transmitter made, which currently includes an A9, several 72 Mhz high end Futabas, Spektrum and an old Sanwa. My dad built his first CP heli back in 1971, which was a 14 lb full bodied Bell Jet Ranger.

I also fly CP helis in various sizes as well. These beginner helis are just for fun in my house and my small backyard. Size of the heli has little to do with nimbleness and response. There are numerous factors which contribute to it.

Back to the F45 transmitter. First off, it arrived at my doorstep with the rotary button wire harness unplugged from the PCB. Simple fix to remove the back cover and replug it, but it is a sign of poor QC.
Next up, the style and look is extremely toy grade. This can be forgiven given the price.
Lastly but most importantly are the gimbals. Loose, light feeling with almost NO spring tension. A tranmitters gimbals are the first link with the control of the aircraft, if they feel like crap, so does the aircraft. The V911 transmitter is MUCH better in this regard. (still not great but better)

And just because a radio has more functions does not make it a better radio. It can still be a POS with lots of functions! LOL.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 10:37 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
For those posting the negative comments I can say nothing but for me for 110usd this is still the best heli to buy and I don't know why they say the transmitter is garbage!!! Go buy a good transmitter and you ll pay 3 times this heli's price IMO!! For me I'm quite happy with this transmitter it has good feel and you can also adjust the lengths of the sticks which is also a nice touch. Man this only costs 110usd!!
I think you found the hub of all this, markkona: Price to value ratio.

If we want "more or better" it's gonna cost - probably in both Time AND Money.

Me; I'm just a noob that knows next to nothing about R/C heli's except what I've read and seen first hand. I do have some experience with R/C fixed wing craft, and I really enjoyed flying them. Now, I want to experience the rotary world, see if I'm going to enjoy them.

I bought the DH9116 based on comments found in the Beginners area thread. While I'm certain it's a good starter product, mine was doomed right out of the box. I couldn't get the battery charger to plug into the copter's cable. I returned it last week and finally got my refund - now I'm gonna purchase the F45.

From all the (early) comments in this thread and all the videos I've seen of this bird, I think this will be a great trainer!

Happy landings, gang...

... Lennie




.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 10:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
You're entitled to your opinion.......thats what makes the world go round. Just a note. I've been in RC since the early 80's. I've owned just about every popular make of transmitter made, which currently includes an A9, several 72 Mhz high end Futabas, Spektrum and an old Sanwa. My dad built his first CP heli back in 1971, which was a 14 lb full bodied Bell Jet Ranger.

I also fly CP helis in various sizes as well. These beginner helis are just for fun in my house and my small backyard. Size of the heli has little to do with nimbleness and response. There are numerous factors which contribute to it.

Back to the F45 transmitter. First off, it arrived at my doorstep with the rotary button wire harness unplugged from the PCB. Simple fix to remove the back cover and replug it, but it is a sign of poor QC.
Next up, the style and look is extremely toy grade. This can be forgiven given the price.
Lastly but most importantly are the gimbals. Loose, light feeling with almost NO spring tension. A tranmitters gimbals are the first link with the control of the aircraft, if they feel like crap, so does the aircraft. The V911 transmitter is MUCH better in this regard. (still not great but better)

And just because a radio has more functions does not make it a better radio. It can still be a POS with lots of functions! LOL.
Seefest,

Seeing that you are so far advanced in both experience and equipment, why are you even bothering with what you call an inferior product?? Sounds to me you already have most of the high end R/C products already in your hanger.

I'm certain your analysis is accurate... but for me personally, I do NOT wish to make a major financial investment just to discover this hobby's not for me. From what I've read, and the videos I've seen, this little F45 appears to be a great value for the money.

I have no plans to mod this copter - I simply want to FLY it. If I find I enjoy the hobby then I will, at some time in the future, invest in more sophisticated helis, TX's, etc.

Someone already posted comments about welcoming the negative along with the positives - I also wish to know both sides! The more we learn about our birds, the better prepared we are to deal with the weaknesses and enhance our enjoyment of what we own at the present time - So thank you for the information.

Fly safe,

... Lennie



.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 10:59 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,755 Posts
I think the quality of this product is great for the price.
Yes, the TX is OK, but not great. The 9116DH has a better TX, which again, is good, but not great. That's why everyone wants to upgrade to a 9x radio.
The main motor is again, good, but not great. It gets hot and uses a lot of power for output. Samualson could probably enlighten us on how much better the Extreme motor is, also with replaceable brushes and real bearings. I know the brushless is far superior, but the manufacturer is never going to put that in at the factory.
The tail motor has been an issue for some. I have never replaced a tail motor in either the MJX (over 100 flights) or the 9116DH( at least that many outings). I have spares for both sitting on the shelf. Again, the style of flight may affect the tail motor. Smooth turns using both AIL and RUD would probably reduce stress and help prolong the tail motor life by not over working it.
The servo/swash plate is better than most fixed pitch helis. The pcb is a shining point. Very few problems that I have heard of and has features not available on much more expensive helis like the Walkera V400DO2 CP which has brushed motors and is a real pain to convert to brushless.

And why do we fly this if we also have CP helis.
I have been fighting an issue with pulled muscles in my back for weeks which affects my right arm, always in pain and goes numb.
This morning, I flew the MJX for 5 minutes to do more tests on the brushless motor which not problem.
A little later, I took out my V120DO2S CP and was only able to handle about 3 minutes befor my right hand started getting jittery and I decided to land before I crashed. ps The Walkera is a 12" heli that costs doulbe what the MJX does.
They are all fun to fly. Just some are better and others are easier. Fly them all and have the most fun you can.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Last edited by BThirsk; May 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 11:35 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moki155 View Post
then will soon die the tail motor. the twitching is if the carbon brushes are at the end. itīs the same as me. today i tested the Xtreme Direct Drive Tail from Honey Bee FP. but itīs not better as the original. now i will go to brushless. i mod a old Turnigy 6A ESC like this http://home.versanet.de/~b-konze/blc_6a/blc_6a.htm
It saves the pwm to ppm converter and now i wait for the motor. next try
Seeing you are an electrical wizard, when your brushless motor is running what kind of voltage do you get to the tail motor. I’m not sure if this would be an issue, but if the system voltage was getting low could there be an amperage increase causing problems with the tail motor. I have no idea what the correlation is in a variable speed brush motor between Volt/Amp.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 12:17 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
gordonzo's Avatar
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
It seems we have been enamored with our F45's and now must defend their honor.

@seefest - I, for one, welcome your thoughts, opinions and experiences. And I can see why you would be so unhappy with your tx, but maybe you just got a bad one? I am curious. Based on your experience to date - would you recommend people stay away from purchasing a F45?

Here is my $0.02 (Cdn):

In the opening paragraph on this thread I wrote "Like all makes, they too are not perfect".

IME the F45 is a good, not perfect, affordable larger entry level fp with lots of upgrade potential. And in stock form it flys fine right out of the box. I think this heli is targeted at new(ish) fp pilots and hits that target very well.

My F45 tx sticks are linear and predictable. I agree that the quality feel is not quite on par with the heli, but I, for one, am glad they put the money into the heli.

I have a Nine Eagles J6Pro tx that is much better in quality and feel than the F45 tx. But it cost as much as the complete F45 RTF package. It's flaw is that it's a pita to program.

We have many V911's. Those little tx's really are pretty good for the money but they also have a flaw. When switching to high rates, the rudder rate changes too much, and makes it much more difficult to control (at least on the older ones). There is no adjustment. You have to solder in some resistors.

If we could take the best from each heli and combine it into the perfect one . . . . maybe it would be a F45 with a 9x tx, a trex canopy, and a V911 price tag.

Keep flying. Keep sharing.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 12:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
It seems we have been enamored with our F45's and now must defend their honor.

@seefest - I, for one, welcome your thoughts, opinions and experiences. And I can see why you would be so unhappy with your tx, but maybe you just got a bad one? I am curious. Based on your experience to date - would you recommend people stay away from purchasing a F45?

Here is my $0.02 (Cdn):

In the opening paragraph on this thread I wrote "Like all makes, they too are not perfect".

IME the F45 is a good, not perfect, affordable larger entry level fp with lots of upgrade potential. And in stock form it flys fine right out of the box. I think this heli is targeted at new(ish) fp pilots and hits that target very well.

My F45 tx sticks are linear and predictable. I agree that the quality feel is not quite on par with the heli, but I, for one, am glad they put the money into the heli.

I have a Nine Eagles J6Pro tx that is much better in quality and feel than the F45 tx. But it cost as much as the complete F45 RTF package. It's flaw is that it's a pita to program.

We have many V911's. Those little tx's really are pretty good for the money but they also have a flaw. When switching to high rates, the rudder rate changes too much, and makes it much more difficult to control (at least on the older ones). There is no adjustment. You have to solder in some resistors.

If we could take the best from each heli and combine it into the perfect one . . . . maybe it would be a F45 with a 9x tx, a trex canopy, and a V911 price tag.

Keep flying. Keep sharing.

regards . . . g
+1 from this old noob
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 02:35 PM
Registered User
seefest's Avatar
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Seefest,

Seeing that you are so far advanced in both experience and equipment, why are you even bothering with what you call an inferior product?? Sounds to me you already have most of the high end R/C products already in your hanger.

I'm certain your analysis is accurate... but for me personally, I do NOT wish to make a major financial investment just to discover this hobby's not for me. From what I've read, and the videos I've seen, this little F45 appears to be a great value for the money.

I have no plans to mod this copter - I simply want to FLY it. If I find I enjoy the hobby then I will, at some time in the future, invest in more sophisticated helis, TX's, etc.

Someone already posted comments about welcoming the negative along with the positives - I also wish to know both sides! The more we learn about our birds, the better prepared we are to deal with the weaknesses and enhance our enjoyment of what we own at the present time - So thank you for the information.

Fly safe,

... Lennie



.
I fly fixed pitch helis in my house and my small backyard. It's much more relaxing flying a fixed pitch than always being "on edge" with a CP heli. My CP heli's I bring to the field to fly. I also like the idea of aerial photgraphy.....wanted to take a few pictures of my house and property from the air. (without spending a bundle)

I don't think I called the F45 an inferior product, just the opposite actually.

Its a good, very durable heli, that flies well. Its only drawback in my opinion is the radio. It doesn't match the quality of the heli which is very good. Thats why I have asked if the Turnigy 9X would bind to it, and have yet to receive an answer yes or no. I'm assuming no.

Would I buy it again? Yes I would. Would I recommend it to someone else? Yes I would. Would I give it a 100% glowing review like the OP did........I would not. Nothing in life is 100% and this heli is no different.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 03:16 PM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
I fly fixed pitch helis in my house and my small backyard. It's much more relaxing flying a fixed pitch than always being "on edge" with a CP heli. My CP heli's I bring to the field to fly. I also like the idea of aerial photgraphy.....wanted to take a few pictures of my house and property from the air. (without spending a bundle)

I don't think I called the F45 an inferior product, just the opposite actually.

Its a good, very durable heli, that flies well. Its only drawback in my opinion is the radio. It doesn't match the quality of the heli which is very good. Thats why I have asked if the Turnigy 9X would bind to it, and have yet to receive an answer yes or no. I'm assuming no.

Would I buy it again? Yes I would. Would I recommend it to someone else? Yes I would. Would I give it a 100% glowing review like the OP did........I would not. Nothing in life is 100% and this heli is no different.
As soon as I get a replacement 9X radio, I will definately be trying to bind to this heli. The first one was DOA.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 03:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
502 Posts
seefest on the 9x/flysky
I have not taken the time to try to understand the book on the transmitter.
On another thread a poster commented reading that manual is like trying to understand the registry on MS windows.
I have a few transmitters and binding is usually common to turn on the transmitter, keep the throttle stick in its lowest position and plug in the heli
let it do its thing and get back and power up. With the f45 you power up the transmitter and the heli move the throttle to high and back to low.
Then watch the transmitter blink for a while and once the light is solid then move the cyclic to confirm the servos move. Only then try to power up.
Something is different.
This weekend I will try to camp out with the flysky manual and see what I can understand. Maybe buried somewhere in there is a magic sequence that must be applied.
Right now I also doubt the 9x will bind properly but I would like to know if there is something that can be done.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 03:46 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
I fly fixed pitch helis in my house and my small backyard. It's much more relaxing flying a fixed pitch than always being "on edge" with a CP heli. My CP heli's I bring to the field to fly. I also like the idea of aerial photgraphy.....wanted to take a few pictures of my house and property from the air. (without spending a bundle)

I don't think I called the F45 an inferior product, just the opposite actually.

Its a good, very durable heli, that flies well. Its only drawback in my opinion is the radio. It doesn't match the quality of the heli which is very good. Thats why I have asked if the Turnigy 9X would bind to it, and have yet to receive an answer yes or no. I'm assuming no.

Would I buy it again? Yes I would. Would I recommend it to someone else? Yes I would. Would I give it a 100% glowing review like the OP did........I would not. Nothing in life is 100% and this heli is no different.
Thank you, seefest,

Excellent commentary.

I hope to order my F45 within the next day or two - I look forward to getting some "hands-on" experience...

... Lennie


.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 04:15 PM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
seefest on the 9x/flysky
I have not taken the time to try to understand the book on the transmitter.
On another thread a poster commented reading that manual is like trying to understand the registry on MS windows.
I have a few transmitters and binding is usually common to turn on the transmitter, keep the throttle stick in its lowest position and plug in the heli
let it do its thing and get back and power up. With the f45 you power up the transmitter and the heli move the throttle to high and back to low.
Then watch the transmitter blink for a while and once the light is solid then move the cyclic to confirm the servos move. Only then try to power up.
Something is different.
This weekend I will try to camp out with the flysky manual and see what I can understand. Maybe buried somewhere in there is a magic sequence that must be applied.
Right now I also doubt the 9x will bind properly but I would like to know if there is something that can be done.
I think the process on the F45 is standard. Plug in the heli and the radio sends out bind code awaiting a response. I continues to send until it receives the binding confirmation.
The TX process of moving the stick to the top just institues the binding process. Most other TXs do this by just turning them on.
All you should have to do is power the heli and then the tx with the binding button pressed. Should work the same as a 9958 xeida.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
when is the wind stopping??
markkona's Avatar
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,509 Posts
I always power up the heli first then switch on the tx and scroll the thottle up and down and that's it!! Binds always when it was stock and same sequence after brushless mod. The only thing I can say is that with the BL motor the F45 jumps off the floor if you give it 70% throttle not lift off!! I will post an indoor flying clip I just made after installing 3 leds on the tail boom

Ok here it is. Enjoy. hope i ll be able to make a good video sometime tomorrow flying it somewhere outside.

Mjx F45 with brushless main motor and led lights (2 min 13 sec)
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 04:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
I always power up the heli first then switch on the tx and scroll the thottle up and down and that's it!! Binds always when it was stock and same sequence after brushless mod. The only thing I can say is that with the BL motor the F45 jumps off the floor if you give it 70% throttle not lift off!! I will post an indoor flying clip I just made after installing 3 leds on the tail boom

Ok here it is. Enjoy. hope i ll be able to make a good video sometime tomorrow flying it somewhere outside.
I thought the sequence was:

Power up the TX first.

Set power 'on' to the heli.

Throttle stick slowly up, then down.

Light flashes, beep, then fly.


Or do I have it all backwards?


... Lennie


.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion On self stabilising single-rotor helis (FP/CP) and comparison to quadcopters and coax LMF5000 Electric Heli Talk 10 Apr 13, 2014 02:59 PM
Discussion UAV systems Single Rotor vs Multi Rotor iskoos UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 2 Jan 06, 2012 10:51 PM
Question Upgrading from Co-Axial to FP Single Rotor Judo JoNny Electric Heli Talk 57 Sep 20, 2010 12:10 PM
Discussion Best FP single rotor 4 CH Heli? helinewbie617 Micro Helis 76 Oct 31, 2009 07:16 PM
For Sale will trade my orbiter coaxial for a fp or cp single rotor heli micro heli Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Sep 05, 2007 01:36 PM