HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,204 Posts
She sure looks great with the panel lines done !

Shung is online now Find More Posts by Shung
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,204 Posts
Would you do weathering before or after flat coating (dullcote or otherwise) or maybe in between two layers of flat coating ?
Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shung View Post
Would you do weathering before or after flat coating (dullcote or otherwise) or maybe in between two layers of flat coating ?
I have never weathered, but from what I have read early on in this thread.... the guy's that did used the dull coat as a sealer over there weathering....now I need to buy an airbrush and try it for myself.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,204 Posts
Weathering makes a world of difference..

Get the airbrush from hobbyking as a start. 30$ works perfectly for what we do. The only other thing you need is a compressor...

Doesn't it make models look much better ?

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,243 Posts
Quote:
Weathering makes a world of difference..

Get the airbrush from hobbyking as a start. 30$ works perfectly for what we do. The only other thing you need is a compressor...

Doesn't it make models look much better ?
It really does......too bad they don't come weathered.......I guess that's since all the manufacturers seem to copy airshow paint schemes...all new and shiny.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,823 Posts
Shung - your Mustang looks beautiful, very good work.....good luck with finding some dull coat. If you can't get it there maybe LiCobra can help.

LiCobra - I think problems with Krylon sometimes turning white usually comes as result of spraying too thick of a coat especially when humidity is high. Also It's been a while but if I remember when it turned white, I think I waited for it to dry and then reapplied a thin coats until it covered ok.
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,204 Posts
I think I'll be using tamiya ts-80 as I read here and there that it works as well, and that I have found 3 cans at my LHS..

I'll perform some test on tiny piece of extra ultracote that forceR provided me with before though.

Another great thing I found is that I have some cleaning alcohol that is able to wash out the nomenclature writings a little, which will be perfect combined with weathering
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
LiCobra - I think problems with Krylon sometimes turning white usually comes as result of spraying too thick of a coat especially when humidity is high. Also It's been a while but if I remember when it turned white, I think I waited for it to dry and then reapplied a thin coats until it covered ok.
The picture I posted was a when the P-51 was first released, and it was sunny but very humid and the white fog was the result, I repainted it a week later when the humidity was much lower with Testors and it covered fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,823 Posts
A great alternative to airbrushing is artist's gray pastel chalks. It' s extremely controllable and much more convenient to use. Cotton or soft cloth to soften and smudge. Water helps to simulate oil streaks and exhaust stains. You'll like it.......but should to be protected so best to apply it prior to clear coating.
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,204 Posts
I really hope tamyia ts-80 works similarly as dullcote.

My fear is that I can't heat the ultracote to eliminate any bubble forming when the plane goes in the sun etc.. I've noticed that it needs to be adressed from time to time.
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,243 Posts
Quote:
I really hope tamyia ts-80 works similarly as dullcote.

My fear is that I can't heat the ultracote to eliminate any bubble forming when the plane goes in the sun etc.. I've noticed that it needs to be adressed from time to time.
Not true.....I've taken plenty of bubbles out after Ding Hao has been sitting out in the sun..... with the iron over the dull coat, you just have to be careful not to rub the sock too much on the dull coat or it will ware thin and start to get shiny again.......and if so just re-apply a little more dull coat...
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 04:01 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,204 Posts
That is with dullcote,

Just hoping the other stuff works as well