Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:48 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Discussion
RF beacon question

Hi,

I just got the RF beacon from Fmkit. Does anyone know the default settings? How long till it starts transmitting, intervals, etc. Just want to test it out while I wait to get the LCD.. maybe I wont even have to wait if the times are reasonable.

thanks

ash
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:38 PM
Suspended Account
Alaska
Joined Feb 2010
326 Posts
I wish I could remember because I have one and have not been able to play with it yet. I know you can jumper a couple terminal to increase the the time until the beacon goes off. I want to say it is far less than 30 minutes in it's default config.
Edit: he was here today, maybe a pm can solve our question...
Williwaw is offline Find More Posts by Williwaw
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:55 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
anyone else know?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:59 AM
RCPlaye
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2009
711 Posts
sorry for the newb question but what does the rf beacon do?
CoolBudz is offline Find More Posts by CoolBudz
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
lol its used to find your plane when/if it crashes. This particular one transmits on a UHF frequency that can be picked up by any cheap UHF walkie talkie. The stronger/more beeps you have, the closer you are to your plane.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:52 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,370 Posts
When you ordered it, you should have specified what channel you wanted
and what interval you want it to transmit at. Only you would know what those
values are. At the specified interval it should beep 5 (I think 5, maybe 4) times, with each
beep decreasing in power. It'll also do its beep sequence when you first power it on.
If you're anywhere within about 30 yards though you're going to hear all 5 beeps unless
you're blocking the receiver antenna with your body, then you'll hear the first 4. It's
really meant for long range direction finding. Be sure not to power it with anything
more than 4V (wants a 1S lipo, but I can power it with a single large lithium button cell at 3V).

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:39 PM
Suspended Account
Alaska
Joined Feb 2010
326 Posts
I think he is *also* asking about the default time at which point it starts transmitting at. PM sent since none of us can remember
Williwaw is offline Find More Posts by Williwaw
Last edited by Williwaw; Jul 15, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: *
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:16 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
ya I was mainly wondering when it starts transmitting..
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:19 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,370 Posts
The first series of beeps is immediately after you turn it on, as I said above.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:19 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Hi,

I just got the RF beacon from Fmkit. Does anyone know the default settings? How long till it starts transmitting, intervals, etc. Just want to test it out while I wait to get the LCD.. maybe I wont even have to wait if the times are reasonable.

thanks

ash
there are no default settings
if you don't remember TX channel activate scan mode (your 2-way radio)
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
oh ok, so there's no delay unless I program one?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:07 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
oh ok, so there's no delay unless I program one?
no, you have to have LCD to set delayed start
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:26 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
ok sounds good. LCD is in the mail..
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:53 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
one more question.

would using aluminum foil have the same effect as using my body to locate the signal? I was thinking I could use the foil to narrow 'view' of the antenna to focus the search area once I'm within 30m..
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:43 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,580 Posts
in ARRL Handbook they show paper tube covered with alum. sheet and walkie talkie tied with string to pull the radio in-out of tube. My own method is a bit different and way more precise: use whatever flat metal surface (alum. foil sheet or kitchen pot lid, if riding bike use air pump) and use it as reflector to make your 2-way radio directional. Imagine Yagi antenna , the metal object in your hand will act as rear most part of Yagi, notice the distance between vibrator(dipole) - should be around 13-15cm (FRS). With radio in one hand and metal object in other you can guess and point now directional antenna, try to locate minimum (easiest) when the radio muting last tone or you hear most break ups and move in opposite direction. With trained eye you can use whatever object outside(wall, metal fence, utility pole or your own car) to become reflector/blocker or amplifier. When I take bicycle ride with new RC receivers to test I stop at bus station about 1.2km from my house and stand with receiver in my hand next to the wall at certain distance and reception gets improved a lot because of reflected power. If you had chance to watch RSSI numbers while getting near walls that focus or reflect RF waves you'd get better idea what happen to radiowaves and next time use bare bones setup such as generic walkie-talkie with the beacon to find direction as fast as those with ton of equipment.
The beacon shipped with dipole antenna (thin teflon coated wires) , cut off black wire and loop the white wire thus reducing effective range - it will be easier to locate when near target.