HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:39 AM
India
Joined May 2009
20 Posts
Finally have the slick in my hands. Did few flights yesterday. Maiden went relatively unenventful. Awesome plane . On my third flight broke all the three elevator hinges of one side. Not sure how. May be control rod was binding. Drilled all the six hinges out and put the bigger ones. 3 more good flights today. All on low throws
My setup is A60-6XS on 6S-30C, CC 100ICE, and BEC Pro. 20x10XOAR.
From the logged data 104 amps peak, 2400+ watts peak. After 6 min of moderate flight pumped in around 2600mah back into battery.

ESC was more than warm however motor was quite hot (I have opening at the bottom of fuse for air out). Not much hovering. I think I'm pulling too much amps. I'd like amps to be <=100 at wot. I don't think this setup will survive summers in India.
How good 20x8 APC or XOAR will be on this in terms of pulling lesser amps so that I'm easy on motor and ESC?
Will 20x10 APC draw lesser amps than XOAR? I have few spare APCs.
I'm very happy with the plane... need some more flight time

Thanks.
bss_rcg is online now Find More Posts by bss_rcg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:45 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Well... Lost signal today. Completely.

Devastated. Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354459533.958848.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 236.3 KB
Description:
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:49 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,546 Posts
Congrats on the new slick... Just curious what temp was it when the hinges broke.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:50 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post

Devastated. Attachment 5344160
Oh my god dude! I'm so sorry to hear this!
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:52 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,015 Posts
Quote:

Holy... Fantasy... Blue..... I'm sorry about that man
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:54 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,546 Posts
Quote:

Man super sorry about the slick turnerm... Lockout? What radio system?BEC?
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:59 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:

Nooooo! We feel for you bro! Give us a report on equipment used... I hope there is an explanation for this, the unknown loss of signal is my biggest fear!!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:02 AM
India
Joined May 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Congrats on the new slick... Just curious what temp was it when the hinges broke.
Thank you!. Temp might have been around 25deg Celcius. While hinging using epoxy, the elevator was pushed very tight against the horiz stab. That gave me hingline with almost no gap but made setting the high throws more straining on the servos (7965mg). With the hinge changes I made the hinge line gap around 2mm (which was later sealed with hinge tap). Easier to achieve high thows now.
bss_rcg is online now Find More Posts by bss_rcg
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:10 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I flew my 70" with the high voltage servos and the new 20x8 Xoar cf prop yesterday and I like it much better. Effortless hovers and harriers much easier. But I did find out one thing about cf props, man are they tough. I now have the lg mounted with three 1/4" nylon bolts which works quite well up to now. I must have hit a really rough spot on my final landing (of course) and broke the lg off, unfortunately when the prop struck it didn't give at all and tore the whole motor mount off the front. Not a real big deal, I'll just make a new one and put it in and do some other minor repairs. I think I'm either going to bump up the screw size to 5/16" or add two more 1/4" nylon bolts for just a little more strength. These darn soccer fields are just so rough and hard on lg. Most of my repairs are due to this type of incident, but if it weren't for the soccer fields I wouldn't have anywhere to fly so I just have to live with it. I am trying to come up with some type of gear mount that is rigid enough for nice landings but can absorb some of the rough spots when landing, and not add much weight to he plane.
Have you thought about making an aluminum LG? Much more flexible than CF but will still support your plane. I've made several for 40" up to 74" ARF's.

1.25" wide and 0.125 - 0.1875 thick; a little work, time and paint and you can have a nice LG for $10.
Capt. Roll is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:37 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:

OUCH! so sorry bro.We fly in ways that for me,usu eventually ends in a dumb thumb of some sort pushing the limits. This is accepted. Signal loss just sucks to the max tho..Sorry buddy. Hope you are able to get back on the horse soon and get the stink off.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:19 AM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,471 Posts
I hate to see the crashed Slick.

Hopefully you can find out what caused it.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:23 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,935 Posts
Sorry about your plane Turnerm!
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:55 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm pretty depressed. This one was especially bad because I just lost my 57" Extra yesterday due to a stupid mid-air collision with a Parkzone Stinson (whew... you should've seen what happened to that plane!) and now today I've lost my Slick due to a signal loss. Neither of these are anyone's fault... just horribly unfortunate luck I suppose.

I"m 99% sure that this was a signal issue because I could hear my ESC beeping but I had no control of anything. This has happened to multiple people with multiple different receiver and multiple different planes in roughly the same spot. I think I'm done flying out there.

Both times that it's happened to me have been during blenders.

Scott Stoops built this particular Slick so I hate to loose it. Oh well, all my gear is still good.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:56 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
Quote:

Dam, two birds in one week, that really, really sucks
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:01 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm pretty depressed. This one was especially bad because I just lost my 57" Extra yesterday due to a stupid mid-air collision with a Parkzone Stinson (whew... you should've seen what happened to that plane!) and now today I've lost my Slick due to a signal loss. Neither of these are anyone's fault... just horribly unfortunate luck I suppose.

I"m 99% sure that this was a signal issue because I could hear my ESC beeping but I had no control of anything. This has happened to multiple people with multiple different receiver and multiple different planes in roughly the same spot. I think I'm done flying out there.

Both times that it's happened to me have been during blenders.

Scott Stoops built this particular Slick so I hate to loose it. Oh well, all my gear is still good.
Glad the gear is in good shape! I'm sure you'll be replacing that one!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears