SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 08, 2014, 12:45 PM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
696 Posts
Question
How to/ What SW to make foam "slice" or "tetris" style fuselages on 4 axis hot wire

Folks:

I have a 4 axis hot wire cutter that is in good working shape, set up to do wing panels with Profili and Mach3. Works pretty good.

I am trying to identify what software/ how to go about cutting fuselages and nacelles from a constant sheet thickness of foam so I can stack up the layers and have a fuselage. I see this is a somewhat popular method, but have not seen a thread that really just deals with the how-to of getting this done.

I have downloaded Stefano's DevfusFoam, but I guess if it has the capability to do what I want, it is hard to find that out from the documentation. I would like to find out about any and all foam cutting apps that will do any or all of what I want (see list below)

If someone has done a "build thread" like this, please point me to it.

What I want to do / What SW does this? :

A) Get a 3 view of a plane with cross sections - no problem, I can do this

B) Trace the cross sections and side/top view - I can do this on CAD, but is there a better foam app with integrated tracing?

C) Take those cross sections and using the thickness of foam I plan on using, extrapolate/ interpolate/loft to get profiles at the locations needed - i.e., with 3/4" thick foam - generate a profile set with 3/4" spacing. - I can use CAD to do this, but it seems like this is where a more specific "foam" app should make this easier and more automated. This kind of functionality is what I would find most important in a "foam cutter" app. Does it exist as such?

D) Now with the cross sections the app would do a layout within the cutting area and generate G-code so I can fit the different layers on a piece of foam to be hot-wire cut.

E) This one is kind of a fantasy - a nice to have. If there is an app that does this I would be sold immediately: Instead of making a single cut between profiles, the software analyzes the slope of the mold line at each profile, and cuts to that slope on each face of the foam. - making 2 passes for each layer. THis would be extremely useful and more precise for segments with a convex profile, which most fuselage sections will be.

So that's it. Links, advice, taunting, whatever, is welcome.
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2014, 06:11 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,566 Posts
I use Sketchup at the moment but have used Inventor to do the same thing.
With inventor it's making the fuselage solid model and ding sections as needed.
Sketchup is more involved, look up D-fast here on RCGroups, he has videos on how to do what you want.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Aug 08, 2014, 10:14 PM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
696 Posts
Would you double check that username? D-fast comes up empty...

THanks
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Aug 08, 2014, 10:24 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,245 Posts
His blog
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=207312
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Aug 09, 2014, 02:54 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005