HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:40 AM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Apr 2011
67 Posts
Question
Detrum 50A ESC

I purchased a a Dynam Devil 4 Channel 3D Sport Aerobatic Bi-Plane, it was a BNF so I added the Bat. & RX...nothing happened the ESC kept giving steady beeps so I went into program mode and could not get this thing to work! I am working with Nitroplanes now to solve the issue. My question is when I took a look at the ESC it had a short plug in device inline with the RX wire for the throttle. I included a picture, its hard to see because it is covered with black shrink wrap, the hole thing is about three inches long and I can feel a electronics board and I can also feel some small chips, etc...its very flat! I have no idea what this thing is and no one seems to know what it is? I did find out when I tried a different RX thinking it was a bad RX my RX would then not work! I did this twice with out realizing it was doing something to my RX's and one more time because I did not believe it was true, so on the last RX I had my daughter watch and when bound the RX on a different ESC with same motor & bat, all went fine all the beeps were right and everything worked, I hooked a servo also just to add more stuff to the setup. Then I used the Detrum ESC with this odd thing on it, the light on RX started to blink then nothing just as the others times the ESC did nothing not even beeping as the first time when I first built the plane. I removed the Detrum ESC with the thing on it put back the ESC that worked the first time and the RX would never bind! The same as the other two RX's? Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? I know the pic. does not show a lot but maybe someone will recognize it, maybe it not supposed to be there? I have never seen anything like it...real odd & I would like to solve the mystery.
morockpow is offline Find More Posts by morockpow
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:19 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
I had the same thing on my Dynam Meteor. I posted a pic where I cut the shrink off. I fly without it
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:38 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,375 Posts
The circuit board is a signal booster. "Apparently" Dynam had a problem on Spektrum radio systems,and this was their band-aid fix.

As for your problem, you need to check for voltage and the amount on the small red center wire coming from the esc to the receiver plug, when the esc is plugged into your pack. My guess the bec is sending the wrong voltage on that line. It should be between 4.8 and 6 volts.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:22 PM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Apr 2011
67 Posts
Wow, thanks I checked the voltage and it was 5.31vdc with it and with out it! So I see why you took it off, I wonder if it spikes and causing my RX to burn out...I have lost 3 to this ESC! Really #$&*# off these are not cheap! The 3rd on I had another person watch what I was doing and watch the RX not operate after binding with this ESC! This just about convinces me to use only quality brands I know they cost more ..or do they...Thank you for your time and pic it help me out and its nice to learn from others willing to share...thanks morockpow
morockpow is offline Find More Posts by morockpow