HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Sep 2013
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordArmadillo View Post
Hello!

Now, I fancy making a small blimp for indoors. The only problem is, I have no idea where to start and can find nothing on the internet. I'm only a teenager with limited tools and technical experience as well, so that limits me. But, anyway I'm rather interested in engineering so it would be a good project! I've found some envelope designs, and they seem good. Other than that, as I say, I haven't a clue!

Any help would be very appreciated!
Many thanks,
LordArmadillo.
I have 4 thoughts:

#1. I have built a psuedo-blimp-like-thingy from a Dollar Store 12 inch mylar ballon and some Parkzone electronics that I had lying around. A 12 mylar ballon will not support more than 2 or 3 grams of weight before it falls from the sky. So here's the important keys: Mount the engine with massive up-thrust. I found 60 degrees worked well. Using the motor from a PZ Cessna, throw away the gear box, and make the motor direct drive by using a tail rotor from a heli (EFLH3017). The motor torque will make the baloon want to spin to the left, so offset the motor a bit to the left of centerline to make it fly straight. Or, if you want it to fly in circles, fiddle with the motor location. If you don't have the fundamental electornics just lying around, then look below.....

#2. I think (but haven't tried it) that the mylar baloon thing would work very nicely with Air Hogs dual engine thrust technology (Jet Set line of planes). Get yourself an Air Hog for around $30 (which includes the transmitter), fly it a few times for fun, then slice it open and tape the electronics to a He baloon. Be careful not to puncture the LiPo battery! And watch out for the wires; they are very small and buried in foam.

#3. Look at Amazon.com under "rc blimp". I just bought an Angry Bird TM "air swimmer" for $10, which includes transmitter, receiver, 3 foot baloon (needs batteries and He). Also interesting, a dual prop heli made to look like a blimp.

#4 Check out the Plantraco nano-blimp for around $60. This has a transmitter and gondola that can go in reverse also. You can move the gondola to "envelopes" of different dimensions if you want.

Welcome to the world of aeronautical engineering. Use your powers wisely, Lord Armadillo.
DB_Fan is offline Find More Posts by DB_Fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:11 PM
United States, MS, Pontotoc
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
Get yourself one of these..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DBI...110_SY165_QL70
Blimp Boy is offline Find More Posts by Blimp Boy
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:49 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C130747 View Post
My son and I are scratch building a blimp right now for a science project, and have thought of multiple ways to control up down left and right using three servos. But, I have to tell you that yours is freaking genius. You have an amazing amount of control with that setup.

One question: were you snapping the controls left and right for fun (wobbly fish-like movement), or is that a byproduct of the servo/prop being on a hinge? It's quite entertaining to watch.
Yes , that was on purpose .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Dec 04, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Sep 2013
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordArmadillo View Post
Hello!

Now, I fancy making a small blimp for indoors. The only problem is, I have no idea where to start and can find nothing on the internet. I'm only a teenager with limited tools and technical experience as well, so that limits me. But, anyway I'm rather interested in engineering so it would be a good project! I've found some envelope designs, and they seem good. Other than that, as I say, I haven't a clue!

Any help would be very appreciated!
Many thanks,
LordArmadillo.
I just saw this youtube of a quad-copter married to a mylar baloon:
Tyoukogatalabo + Safety Quadcopter

20121008SSFC SAFETYQuadcopter&Slowbirds (3 min 43 sec)

Maybe try the ultra-micro $40 quad and a Dollar Store baloon?
DB_Fan is offline Find More Posts by DB_Fan
Old Dec 09, 2013, 02:21 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,629 Posts
My last blimp used a large football shaped Mylay balloon from the local supermarket, I think it was $10 or 15..

I bought a cheap 2 channel differential thrust airplane for $30 or $35, cut off the outboard wings and tail, hung this from the balloon with some skinny plastic tubing coffee stirrers swiped from the coffee shop, twisted less pitch into the props to slow it down and increase battery duration. I also used a very slight negative buoyancy.

The fuselage was hung flexibly using a trapezoid geometry such that at low power it would climb, but at higher power settings the fuselage would move forward, and also tilt nose-down at the same time, so that at full power it wouldn't climb or dive much but simply haul butt.

My cat loved it to death.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead