HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 03:42 AM
GSD
Productions
Greece
Joined Oct 2012
200 Posts
Hi, trying to start with Orange LRS TX(1W)/RX, but i am confused with RSSI function and feeding my minimOSD.. I read kha's post and saw that latest version shows from 0-50%(pwm?) packet loss and 50-100% signal strength. I have also tried to find some documented info about the four modes that appear in configurator because i do not understand them (when injecting). Any help would be appreciated...

I think the best for me would be to see from 0-100 the signal strength as i am not using telemetry (i see on OSD)...

Finally, when putting spectrum analyzer mode, shouldn't i see the spikes from the hoping channels there? i see a "flat" band but TX sees the RX.... what is happening?

Thanks in advance!

P.S> when using pulse RSSI seems to be very high freq for minimOSD as i have to set the PWM divider to 1 and also the min/max limits are very close...
GSD is offline Find More Posts by GSD
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD View Post
Hi, trying to start with Orange LRS TX(1W)/RX, but i am confused with RSSI function and feeding my minimOSD.. I read kha's post and saw that latest version shows from 0-50%(pwm?) packet loss and 50-100% signal strength. I have also tried to find some documented info about the four modes that appear in configurator because i do not understand them (when injecting). Any help would be appreciated...

I think the best for me would be to see from 0-100 the signal strength as i am not using telemetry (i see on OSD)...

Finally, when putting spectrum analyzer mode, shouldn't i see the spikes from the hoping channels there? i see a "flat" band but TX sees the RX.... what is happening?

Thanks in advance!

P.S> when using pulse RSSI seems to be very high freq for minimOSD as i have to set the PWM divider to 1 and also the min/max limits are very close...
Where are you trying to connect the rssi to?
geofrancis is offline Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM
GSD
Productions
Greece
Joined Oct 2012
200 Posts
Thanks, i am connecting to the RSSI input of minimOSD board (running KV team FW) and MultiWii platform

Tried first at PWM mode where it seems that the output is probably higher freq. than the minimOSD can decode... and then i added the DC filter to have voltage output...

Also i am trying to "descramble" the RSSI modes included in version 3.7.1 but haven't find clear info anywhere...

Note: when in DC mode, the minimOSD wants up to 5V to give 100% so i am lowering the upper limit (lowering resolution too), to have the full scale... i am also wondering... about 50% point differing the signal from packet loss...
Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD View Post
Thanks, i am connecting to the RSSI input of minimOSD board (running KV team FW) and MultiWii platform

Tried first at PWM mode where it seems that the output is probably higher freq. than the minimOSD can decode... and then i added the DC filter to have voltage output...

Also i am trying to "descramble" the RSSI modes included in version 3.7.1 but haven't find clear info anywhere...

Note: when in DC mode, the minimOSD wants up to 5V to give 100% so i am lowering the upper limit (lowering resolution too), to have the full scale... i am also wondering... about 50% point differing the signal from packet loss...
Yeah the RSSI PWM frequency is some 8kHz or so, it is best to use it filtered to analog. (The freq is high to make filtering it to analog easy and stable).

The separate modes available for injection are

comp: This is linkQuality and RSSI mixed to one value, with imperfect link it shows quality of 0-100% mapped to 0-50% on output, when linkquality is maxed it will show RSSI mapped to 50-100% on output.

RSSI: Pure RSSI 0-100% range, notably this will go 0% immediately on packetloss

LinkQ: Pure Quality, basically percentage of packets received successfully during last 15 packets or so.

LinkQ+RSSI: Injects LinkQ and RSSI separately on 2 channels (for OSD:s that support this e.g. EagleTree Vector).
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
GSD
Productions
Greece
Joined Oct 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
Yeah the RSSI PWM frequency is some 8kHz or so, it is best to use it filtered to analog. (The freq is high to make filtering it to analog easy and stable).

The separate modes available for injection are

comp: This is linkQuality and RSSI mixed to one value, with imperfect link it shows quality of 0-100% mapped to 0-50% on output, when linkquality is maxed it will show RSSI mapped to 50-100% on output.

RSSI: Pure RSSI 0-100% range, notably this will go 0% immediately on packetloss

LinkQ: Pure Quality, basically percentage of packets received successfully during last 15 packets or so.

LinkQ+RSSI: Injects LinkQ and RSSI separately on 2 channels (for OSD:s that support this e.g. EagleTree Vector).
Now that's clear!!! thank you so much!!!.. Hmmm so if i adjust the lower limit of OSD to 50% i can have also only RSSI in a scale from 0 to 100%... But i am wondering... in which conditions could someone have some good RSSI but BAD LinkQ? (maybe with interference ?)

many thanks!

P.S. When i use the INJECT function, if i leave the port 1 on RSSI i still have from there the PWM , plus the injection settings?
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,543 Posts
I have a 100mw one transmitter and receiver on the way. What firmware will they have when they arrive?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have a 100mw one transmitter and receiver on the way. What firmware will they have when they arrive?

they come with the flytron openlrs firmware.
geofrancis is offline Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,830 Posts
if anyone is looking for a programmer for these systems I have a few left over (pinned out with DTR): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post29303015
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM
Finland, Vihti
Joined Mar 2010
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
The scope is "DSO quad", it is rather nice tool especially being small enough to fit in pocket. I
Kha - what's your further opinion on this scope? (bit off topic, but no matter)
I was about to press the button to order it a few weeks back, but then started to read bad reviews.
So have been looking at more expensive ones, e.g. Hantek DSO5102P - but it's twice as much.
The stuff you do with RC, does the DSO quad cover it adequately?
I'm sure if you find it ok, then it will more than fill my needs ....

p.s. any chance of the mavlink optimizations soon? ;-)
nicnet is offline Find More Posts by nicnet
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnet View Post
Kha - what's your further opinion on this scope? (bit off topic, but no matter)
I was about to press the button to order it a few weeks back, but then started to read bad reviews.
So have been looking at more expensive ones, e.g. Hantek DSO5102P - but it's twice as much.
The stuff you do with RC, does the DSO quad cover it adequately?
I'm sure if you find it ok, then it will more than fill my needs ....

p.s. any chance of the mavlink optimizations soon? ;-)
The thing with the dso quad is the size, it is small, so small you can have it in your RC gear bag and you have it around when you need it. The size also comes with weakness like display size and a bit weird user interface. It is good for 'indication' which is what most hobby users will only need anyways.

If you need to measure things etc. then a more expensive 'real' scope is what you should get.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,543 Posts
Range Check?

Is their a way to do a low power range check similar to what 2.4g systems use?

I thought about doing an antenna off range check but some say that might burn out the transmitter? Is that true?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Is their a way to do a low power range check similar to what 2.4g systems use?

I thought about doing an antenna off range check but some say that might burn out the transmitter? Is that true?

yes, do not test without an antenna...

I personally have a 40db attenuator to do all of my testing with...

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 09:41 AM
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2011
412 Posts
I have also built my MiniRX. It's nice and small. I left out the sbus converter, because according to kha it doesn't work and I won't use it anyway.

Edit. It only weighs 2.3g without pin headers.
Hasi is online now Find More Posts by Hasi
Last edited by Hasi; Today at 09:48 AM.