SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Thanks, will have time to get back to this tomorrow all being well. I've taken more photographs tonight (only 41 instead of 141!) in portrait and so far as they are definitely an improvement as PTGui didn't need me to add any anchor points all, just loaded the pictures in and it went straight to the create panorama page. Will let you know how I get on. Unfortunately I was still under pressure to get out of the road when I was taking the pictures as the boys wanted to get flying. If it all goes wrong again I'll try again on Wednesday evening.

Stevie
Stevies is offline Find More Posts by Stevies
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
I spent a few hours on this last night and all day so far today and got to this stage. It has all the walls, floor, ceiling etc and I've tried to do the steps. I've only run into one silly problem that I can't get sorted out. The preview in Pheonix has the cubefaces all wrong and no matter which way I put them they aren't right! I've loaded several other flying sites into Photoshop to see if it is supposed to be right, left, top, bottom, front, back but they don't all seem to be the same.

You can download the work so far here. The link includes the .PSD file with the cubefaces.

Let me know what's you think! It flies smaller than it actually is but that's not really a problem.

Thanks for the help Harold and lcsaba, really appreciate it.

Stevie
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevies View Post
I spent a few hours on this last night and all day so far today and got to this stage. It has all the walls, floor, ceiling etc and I've tried to do the steps. I've only run into one silly problem that I can't get sorted out.
The preview in Pheonix has the cubefaces all wrong and no matter which way I put them they aren't right! I've loaded several other flying sites into Photoshop to see if it is supposed to be right, left, top, bottom, front, back but they don't all seem to be the same.

You can download the work so far here. The link includes the .PSD file with the cubefaces.

Let me know what's you think! It flies smaller than it actually is but that's not really a problem.

Thanks for the help Harold and lcsaba, really appreciate it.

Stevie
First of all Your work is reasonable, I had no time to check extensively, therfore I can not say now more.
For instance around the staircase a lot of things could be done.

The preview image in Your case the: "StAngeloHangarcubemap.dds" is produced automatically at exporting. File size should be 6145 KB.

In principle You should do nothing about that.
If alpha masking is the task it is a different matter I can explain how, and what to do.

You said: " It flies smaller than it actually is but that's not really a problem."
I can not understand what you mean.

The length of the hangar is about 22 meter.

We have spent a lot of time to check if the size of the model is realistic at start and as going away.
As this is a simple trigonometry it is not a great miracle the the size of the model is always correct.
If it can not fit to the environment it is our fault.
lcsaba is offline Find More Posts by lcsaba
Last edited by lcsaba; Oct 09, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:44 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
Hi Stevie,

much better now, it's much fun flying in this nice hall.

First the pros:

1. Pilots position is good.
2. Exposure and white-balance good.
3. Focus good.
4. You hided the guys in the hall and their shadows very good.

Now the cons:

1. Too many stitching-errors because of technical problems.
Maybe:
--- No Parallax-Point (NPP) not adjusted well
--- Your tripod might have got out of it's place on the slippy ground.
2. Zenith and nadir can be retouched better.
3. Crashobject staircase can be constructed so the model can be seen behind it.

I don't know how your preview-image was corrupted, here's the working file:

http://www.szenerien.de/PhoenixRC-Sz...garcubemap.dds

Best regards

Harald
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Does the preview work for you though? I only get a black screen when I export from Creator and open in Phoenix. I opened the dds in Photoshop after to try and add the sixe cubefaces but they still don't display in the correct order when viewing the preview in the sim. I'd a similar problem when I created the runway (plan to re-photograph and do it again soon) but can't remember how.

What I meant by saying about flying smaller was that the hangar is actually slightly bigger than it appears when flying in the sim. To be honest though there isn't a lot in it and I'm more than happy with that aspect of it.

As you say I could do with spending more time working on the stairs rather than using a cube but I'd need someone to explain alpha masking!

Thanks

Stevie

PS. Just got Harold's reply. Don't know what you did but it works - thanks! Now to work on the stairs!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:22 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
Hi Stevie,

once I really got mad, when I had the same problems like you with black "namecubemap.dds". The only way was to create this file on a second PC.
All of a sudden the problem was solved - don't know why.

I just imported your highres-dds-files into Creator 2.b BETA, created a plane and a position and exported the scenery. Then copied the renamed file into your scenery-folder.
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Very strange. Thanks for the help though!

Just realised that I was being completely stupid about the scaling. I was flying the Zivko Edge with the E-Flite Extra 3D scheme on it but I hadn't changed the scale of the plane from 0.9 metres to just under 0.5. That cured the problem!

Stevie
Last edited by Stevies; Oct 09, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Berlin Tempelhof is a special place. Once the main airport of Berlin, today it's public area for the Berliners, hence the odd looking pedestrians and garbage containers flanking the runway. You're placed at the centre of the runway, heading straight out west, it's right after a small rainshower, with massive black fleshy asphalt beneath you and some attractively colored lines and markings beside you. Light is beautifully reflected here, I love this one, even though the distance to the treelines surrounding the area can be questioned. We've got some good runways lately. This is another one. Panorama shots from HB's archive, 3D modelling by Csaba.

Berlin Tempelhof: (work in progress/aborted)
Fatgadget is offline Find More Posts by Fatgadget
Last edited by Fatgadget; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgadget View Post
Berlin Tempelhof is a special place. Once the main airport of Berlin, today it's public area for the Berliners, hence the odd looking pedestrians and garbage containers flanking the runway. You're placed at the centre of the runway, heading straight out west, it's right after a small rainshower, with massive black fleshy asphalt beneath you and some attractively colored lines and markings beside you. Light is beautifully reflected here, I love this one, even though the distance to the treelines surrounding the area can be questioned. We've got some good runways lately. This is another one. Panorama shots from HB's archive, 3D modelling by Csaba.

Berlin Tempelhof: http://members.iif.hu/laszlo.csaba/Tempelhof.zip
I am terribly sorry, as I have forgotten to delete his .zip file.
As I said some posts before, this first attempt is bad. I have spent some tens of hours to make a better version.
I need some more days.

Even this new can not be perfect because I have found that the maximal distance which can be managed at Creator is 1000 m.
The near end of the runway is about 500 m the far end about 1300 m.
Last edited by lcsaba; Oct 10, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:

As you say I could do with spending more time working on the stairs rather than using a cube but I'd need someone to explain alpha masking!
I have made two experiments.
1. I have constructed a cubemap using your six cubeface images
The following steps are necessary if GIMP is used and not Ps.

The files should be reanamed as, " main surface (positive x).dds "
and so on.
The Phoenix numbering and this matches if:
1 > +x
2 > + z
3 > -x
4 > - z
5 > + y
6 > -y

This can be seen at creator "Pano" window as well.

The + y and -y (top, bottom) should be rotated by 180 degree,
other four mirrored around the vertical axis.

Those should be imported by the GIMP or (Ps) first the - z,
then the other five as new layer , finally the + x.

It should be exported or saved as : "Cube map" compressed or not is your decision.

Now if you compare that one which was made for you by Harald, and this should be identical, six layer image, order is the same.

2. I beleive that the staircase should be made from cubes and cylinders, such a way that the collisons should happen correcetly, not all components are needed.

One skyline and an alpha masked cubeface will present a proper view if the model is inside the staircase somewhere .
It is a good exercise.

See just one example how it should look like.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Can I create a single alpha masked cubeface since it is only the stairs that I need to do that in? Funny I have been working on smaller cubes and rotating them etc to be the shape of the stairs in Creator.

Stevie
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Can I create a single alpha masked cubeface since it is only the stairs that I need to do that in? .

Stevie
Yes there is only one cubeface to be edited (BUT this is not a file in the "medium" or "high" folder).
Here is my example, a small area under the staircase.
This is one face of a six layered cubemap.
I guess at PS the chequered area on the picture should be red.

You said: "Funny I have been working on smaller cubes and rotating them etc to be the shape of the stairs in Creator."

It is not funny, you have to do this. Create enough cubes cylinders, rotate as needed, but what I said not all components of the staircase should be made.
Only those which are necessary for realistic collision.
The perfect view of other components will be provided by the skyline and cubeface:
1. One skyline, covering a part of the staircase.
Important, the boundary of the staircase should be fixed by cubes. Only one or two temporary is enough. The skyline "Top" view should present the lower points around that cube properly.

2 The edited cubeface (one layer) the other five can be seen at the right window.

With other words. Phoenix Creator is not processing the alpha information of the cubefaces which are imported.
The cubemap file should be edited.

Last edited by lcsaba; Oct 12, 2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Csaba's worked out most of the problems with the Berlin Tempelhof scenery, so here's the revised edition. The pedestrians flanking the runway have been "airbrushed" away and the stretches of land between runway and treelines and buildings look more realistic. There's still some jitter in the joints of the pano, but that's to do with the limitations of the Creator. Tempelhof is too good to be shelved.

Berlin Tempelhof: http://www.szenerien.de/index.php?op...d=62&Itemid=63
Fatgadget is offline Find More Posts by Fatgadget
Last edited by Fatgadget; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:40 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgadget View Post
. There's still some jitter in the joints of the pano, but that's to do with the limitations of the Creator. Tempelhof is too good to be shelved.
Now the time is 10:28.
Yesterday evening Harald did see a bug (only one).
I uploaded the "final version" five minutes ago.

The "legal" download address is this:
http://members.iif.hu/laszlo.csaba/
because here you should find the "CC" statement.

If you find some more bugs I can modify if it is possible.

I can offer a solution for those who like the perfect background.
I can create a zip file for a "high" folder where there are renamed original JPG cubefaces.
(I have got those from Harald. He deleted the persons.)
Last edited by lcsaba; Oct 13, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Big public thanks to László and Harold for their help in creating the hangar scenery I'm currently working on. In the process of creating the alpha masks to be able to fly behind the railing and steps in the corner.

Stevie