HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:52 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrene View Post
This is my Assassin made from EPS. I mounted my GoPro Hero HD camera on it this weekend and tested it at a friends cabin.

Make sure to see the hand catch at the end.. (and watch it in HD!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upHXcF3qwVU
Breathtaking! Thanks for sharing. If only I had a back yard like that!

I don't know if you planned this or not, but at 0:41 the guy says "I love Tornados" (I think that's what he says) just as you swirl with the clouds in view, and it looks like a twister!

Keep them coming, please!

Edit: It does say "tornados"

http://www.metafilter.com/70973/I-lo...love-hot-magma
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Last edited by Telemachus; Aug 23, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:54 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken hawk View Post
My wife caught some video of the fun. It's kinda long (I acually cut down a lot).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXE4-aKuDNY
I still love your alien slowstick. Great placement of lights!

Glad to see you post this good stuff out of the Utah Flyers thread, cus then those of us who don't live in Utah feel more free to comment on it.

As was mentioned there, check out 4:00, 5:20, 5:50, 6:50 and 8:05 for highlights.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 05:06 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I really should have made a condensed version with just the hits (and I still might).
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:46 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairnut View Post
way cool!
what light sets did you use?

nut
I used the Hobby King LED strip lights. Here's the white set: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8944

I cut a shallow diagonal slit in the EPP lined up the strip and burned small holes with a soldering iron where the LEDs would be. I inserted the strip and used CA to seal it up. CA accellerator helped a lot when sealing it up because I had to push the foam back together while it cured.
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Last edited by andrejk; Aug 23, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:28 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I just tape mine on top and I get all my stuff from www.PlaneInsaneRC.com of course.
Ryan
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:30 AM
Happy landings
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jul 2007
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
Breathtaking! Thanks for sharing. If only I had a back yard like that!

I don't know if you planned this or not, but at 0:41 the guy says "I love Tornados" (I think that's what he says) just as you swirl with the clouds in view, and it looks like a twister!

Keep them coming, please!

Edit: It does say "tornados"

http://www.metafilter.com/70973/I-lo...love-hot-magma
You are correct, and it was not a coincidence . Awesome that somebody noticed. It's one of those things that you use a lot of time getting right while editing..

Here is another one flying in my own backyard at dawn:

Assassin at dawn (2 min 48 sec)
paulrene is offline Find More Posts by paulrene
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:40 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrene View Post
You are correct, and it was not a coincidence . Awesome that somebody noticed. It's one of those things that you use a lot of time getting right while editing..

Here is another one flying in my own backyard at dawn:

Assassin at dawn (2 min 48 sec)
Love the video. The Assassin can carry the weight of a reasonable camera. I like the turns and rolls. Would you let us add this video as one of the things to do with your Assassin on our Crashtesthobby website?
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:30 AM
Happy landings
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jul 2007
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Love the video. The Assassin can carry the weight of a reasonable camera. I like the turns and rolls. Would you let us add this video as one of the things to do with your Assassin on our Crashtesthobby website?
Thanks!

Feel free to add the video! That would be an honor.
paulrene is offline Find More Posts by paulrene
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:19 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,012 Posts
You are the link #16 here on the right. Thanks. Can you please show us the set up you are using to get such clear video. What software are you using to edit? Did I get your name right?

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/

I have appreciate the videos you all shoot and the pictures you take. I like the exotic places and the crazy things people send in. I have a picture of one of our planes over the Sea of Galilee and some from Australia, UK, Brazil and Norway and others. I'll never get to all these places but it is fun to have the planes there. Post pictures of you flying in strange places if you will please.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 08:55 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,012 Posts
I have had questions about the Spectrum radio and the unequal movement in the elevons under some conditions.

This is information that we posted before but may help some of the newbies and old salts.

Link to thread discussing issues with elevon mixing and other things. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940867

I'm getting more questions about programing the DX6i so here is another attempt at clarification:

In the Set up menu:

*Set the memory for the model and choose a name
*Go into Wing/Tail mix and activate Elevon.

In the Adjust list:

*Go into travel adjust and turn the right and left elevons and the up and down elevator to 125% travel. Each of the four has to be adjusted separately.

*At this point the servos should be plugged into the Aileron and Elevator plugs on your receiver and the ESC plugged into the Throttle.

*Install the control rods from the servo arms to the elevon horns.

*After binding both servos should move when you move the right stick either up and down or back and forth. This is the mixer working. If you turn the elevon mixer off only one servo will move at a time.

*The trick now is to get the servos turning the right direction. Try different combination of the servo reversing of the elevator and aileron on the transmitter until the servos are turning the right direction. If it won't work trade the plugs for the aileron and elevator servos in the receiver and try the servo reversing again until you get it right.

The up and down set up seems backwards to my wife. She wants to push up on the stick to make the plane go up. Here is the way the rest of us do it.

Pull back (or push the stick towards the bottom of the Tx) on R tx stick, both elevons go up.
Push R Tx stick forward (or towards the top of the transmitter) and both elevons go down.
Push R Tx stick to the right, right elevon goes up left goes down.
Push R Tx stick to L and L elevon comes up and R elevon goes down.

Another E-mail gave us this method of programing the DX6i using programmable mixing rather than just the elevon mixing. There seems to be a problem with the program on the Spektrum DX6i that makes it so differentials don't operate properly with the standard elevon set up. They operate fine if both are set at 80% or 100% but if you turn the elevator down to 80% and the ailerons up to 125% in the elevon mixing the right and left elevon no longer are calibrated and one moves more than the other and they shouldn't. This is a fix that has been greatly discussed on line.

"First, plug your right servo into the aileron plug and your left servo into Aux 1 (the Flap plug). This may be reversed in some setups.

Set your Wing Type to Dual Ailerons. Now check your aileron control -- it should work normally for an elevon plane (elevator is not yet working). If it doesn't, you'll probably end up having to reverse your plugs to make things work right.

Next, go to Mix 1 and set Elev -> Flap with both rates (D & U) at 100%. In my case that was -100%, but you may have to use +100 percent in your setup. Check function; at this point it should look like an Elevon plane with a boatload of travel. Don't fret about that -- the extra travel will "fix" your trim buttons! And don't forget to set "Trim" to ACT in the lower right corner of this screen.

Now, if you want differential it should work perfectly. If it goes in the wrong direction, you'll have to back up and reverse the plugs (move the servo in Ail to Aux and vice-versa) and redo the other settings to reverse them. Ultimately it means you'll have all the function back at the cost of a single mix.

But you get some payback for that mix: your Flap switch will now work! Probably the best use for it on an elevon plane is adjusting the elevons to max glide duration in case you want to do some thermals and don't want to try and see what the little bugger is doing at 400 feet...

Undoubtedly your elevon travel will now be too great. If you go to Dual Rates and reduce your top rate down at least to 80% of full, your trim buttons will now be completely safe to use -- the endpoint travel will not be greater than your allowed travel, so the weird "button effects" go away.

As far as I can tell, this is a complete fix. Would be delighted to hear if anyone hits a snag... also this leaves the option of another mix open (if you're using rudder and want a mix, or wish to do a throttle -> "flap" mix to get the torque roll out, for example)."
Old Sep 02, 2010, 05:01 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
You are the link #16 here on the right. Thanks. Can you please show us the set up you are using to get such clear video. What software are you using to edit? Did I get your name right?

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/

I have appreciate the videos you all shoot and the pictures you take. I like the exotic places and the crazy things people send in. I have a picture of one of our planes over the Sea of Galilee and some from Australia, UK, Brazil and Norway and others. I'll never get to all these places but it is fun to have the planes there. Post pictures of you flying in strange places if you will please.
Here's a video from this morning ..... to be honest it was a bit too windy for comfortable flying but the Assassin handled everything well and we came home safe and sound ....

Assassin Combat wing slope flying 2nd september 2010_0001.wmv (12 min 5 sec)
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:12 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,012 Posts
Great video. Tell us what the name of the lake is so we can find it on G-maps.

We love to fly in the wind and power sloping with the Assassin is a good option because you have power to get back when the wind isn't right or if you want to go exploring places out farther than you usually have lift.

Thanks!!!!
Old Sep 04, 2010, 03:36 PM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
cutting the tips

I saw in one of Lee's threads that someone was having an issue with cutting the wing tip roots to the correct angle, I am not sure if it was this thread or another.
If you guys see it you can link this post for him.
It is very easy if you use a deep blade razor saw, and with a thick wing then you have a starter slot to finish with a blade.
I am doing a wing tip in the small video, but you can see it very easy to control a saw.

Cut Titan Tip (1 min 38 sec)

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,012 Posts
Quote:
I saw in one of Lee's threads that someone was having an issue with cutting the wing tip roots to the correct angle, I am not sure if it was this thread or another.
It is very easy if you use a deep blade razor saw, and with a thick wing then you have a starter slot to finish with a blade.
I am doing a wing tip in the small video, but you can see it very easy to control a saw.

http://vimeo.com/14698500

nut
Did you post this also on the Titan thread? If not please do it is an easy way to get great results
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:49 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:

http://vimeo.com/14698500

nut
I do the same thing with a cheap razor blade and electrical tape on one end. Although, I heat it over the stove for 10 seconds prior to cutting, and it cuts through like butter, melting the face into a solid, firm sheet of goo that makes it more solid.