New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by Hoot
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2003
598 Posts
Discussion
Quantity of butyrate dope to buy?

I'm building a Goldberg Falcon 56 that the will be covered with silk span and butyrate dope from Brodak. I haven't doped a plane in almost forty years. With average doping skills, how much dope should I buy? How about thinner and brush cleaner? Can I buy brush cleaner to clean the butyrate from the brushes at Home Depot? What do I buy, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, etc.? Any painting tips ?
Thanks in advance,
S Gibson
Houston, TX
Hoot is offline Find More Posts by Hoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
29,568 Posts
We always bought in quart cans, and they usually only lasted two years. We did lots of building 8 ounces should do you fine.

Get a quart of acetone from the hardware department.

Use thin (but not too thin!) coats. A thick coat doesn't dry as nicely, will be uneven, etc. Two thin coats are much better.

Use a good brush if you're brushing it!

And if you want the best help, check out the C/L places like Stuka Stunt Works www.clstunt.com because C/L flyers are big on dope finishes and can tell you all the ins and outs.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2015, 02:55 AM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
10,801 Posts
I use a 1/2 'n 1/2 mix when sealing the pores, being careful to put on 'dry' coats, so it doesn't puddle inside the covering.
The last 'good' camel hair brush I bought was nearly $27 for a 1 incher !- but it does 'flow' the paint nicely.
I find the pints of dope cost nearly as much as the quarts do, so I opt for the larger size...Acetone, as Andy says, works fine as a thinner / cleaner.I have some 50 year old "Cub" butyrate,directly from Lock Haven.
I stopped there to get blue prints for the J-3 stripe, and an employee donated a quart to my project.
Does this old heart good to see a 'doper'......
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Balsa cowls