New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2016, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by azzoun
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined May 2016
2 Posts
Discussion
Rehab of a Sig Spacewalker

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some help from you experts out there. In a craigslist find, I purchased this spacewalker and I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on rehabilitating this plane. It's dirty, and some of the fabric reinforcement strips are separated from the from the plane. I want to know if there's a way to glue/repair this. I plan on repainting the cowl and replacing the pilot. I haven't dug into the mechanics of this plane yet but the engine turns freely and smoothly. I believe this plane is fabric coated and I'm concerned about cleaning it with anything too harsh since it has such an amazing finish. Any thoughts or if anyone is willing to get on the phone with me, that'd be amazing. Thanks for your help. Joshua
azzoun is offline Find More Posts by azzoun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2016, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by ng8264723
Joined Dec 2015
77 Posts
Nice plane. I would use dish soap tinned. the covering can be reglue after but it would be tough to do so without discoloring the finish. You could always gue and sand and give her another light coat of paint. She would look new!
ng8264723 is offline Find More Posts by ng8264723
Old Jun 27, 2016, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,817 Posts
Using a light touch, and an iron set at low heat, you should be able to re-attach the rib tapes.

I'd prudently use warm water and dish soap to clean the airframe.

The cowl needs to be stripped with lacquer thinner, down to bare glass. Clean with lacquer thinner, and repair any damage to the cowl.I suggest Duplicolor automotive primers, and then Rustoleum for the color coats. I like to clear coat Rustoleum, using Minwax Polyurethane, for added protection.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Last edited by TomCrump; Jun 27, 2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by propstrykerone
Joined Jun 2015
3 Posts
Sig Spacewalker

Nice! I bought one over the weekend with a Saito 300GK twin. I is hard to find one of these for sale in good shape. Do you know the control throws and balance point for this model?
propstrykerone is offline Find More Posts by propstrykerone
Old Jul 12, 2016, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,817 Posts
Balance it on the spar.

I use TLAR, for setting control throws.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump