Old Feb 28, 2016, 05:35 AM
Find More Posts by wagnmkr
Canada, ON, Lindsay
Joined Aug 2015
52 Posts
Help!
Need To Identify Winch Kit

Hello All. I have acquired this old winch kit for my tug boat. The papers for it were lost so if I want the spooling action to work then I need an answer or two.

This kit was supposed to use the gears and spooler from a Penn fishing reel but no one knows the reel #.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Tom
wagnmkr is offline Find More Posts by wagnmkr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2016, 07:28 AM
Find More Posts by Appowner
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2014
733 Posts
I'd say take some measurements and give these guys a call.
http://www.pennfishing.com/PENN-parts.html

Parts Customer Service
Monday thru Friday
8:00 A.M. - 5:30 P.M. EST
Phone: (800) 892-5444
Fax: (800) 458-0556

Worse they can do is hang up on you.
Appowner is offline Find More Posts by Appowner
Old Feb 28, 2016, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by jeno
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
815 Posts
WOW
There was a gent in British Columbia who made hullls( I believe Loyahanna Dockyard bought the rights), and he offered winches that worked similar to what you have posted. Perhaps someone on the West coast can help.
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by keith S
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
5,539 Posts
Nice find as that is one of the cast winches that used to be made by ron Burchett in Canada. There never was a complete listing for what needed to be used for gears--just a sheet showing how it should go together. I used old fishing reel gears/spooling level wind taken apart to fit the bill. Usually a larger saltwater reel. Then also had to set up a power drive using a beveled gear set to power all of that from a motor hidden in the hull/house.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:09 PM
Canada, ON, Lindsay
Joined Aug 2015
52 Posts
Thanks for the Info. Keith, I know some of the folks out there as I used to live there. I will see what I can find out.

I have found a couple of places that sell the fishing reel parts ... I just need to find the right size reel now.

I am also making some rough plans to make this winch half as wide again to fit on the Mr Darby hull.

Cheers

Tom
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by CaptCB
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
3,744 Posts
Keith is right, you have to know exactly what you are doing, and be a machinist. I did one for capntroy, a long time ago. The gears need to come from Stock Drive Products, and today, will probably cost between $150 - $200+. Not a simple project, and defiantly, not cheap. Some of the parts will need to be made from Brass, some Stainless Steel, and probably a gear spacer, from Aluminum. If it has not already been done, it will need to be bored for Bronze / Oillite bushings, for all the moving parts.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by Reckless
Ladysmith Vancouver Island
Joined Feb 2008
615 Posts
if I could get my butt to the lake Sunday's (work) I would ask Ron for ya LOL
Reckless is offline Find More Posts by Reckless
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by green-boat
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
5,255 Posts
That is one nice looking winch.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Feb 28, 2016, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
3,744 Posts
Ron's Winch

Here are some photo's, of one of Ron's boats, that carries a "version" of that winch.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 03:16 PM
Canada, ON, Lindsay
Joined Aug 2015
52 Posts
Thank You ... Thank You ... Thank You for those pics. Exactly what I was looking for.

Reckless, if you could get to Ron that would be great. A copy of the old instruction sheet would be wonderfull.

CaptCB, I have the equipment to build this puppy. I don't need the gears from Stockdrive as I can easily make my own. I just need the ratio and that piece with the two way thread on it. The pics are of another winch I am making (that is one of the gears I have made ... it is just over 4" in diameter )and it is powered by an 1850's beam engine.

Cheers

Tom
Old Feb 28, 2016, 07:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
3,744 Posts
The "spur gear", was actually a "worm gear". The "Worm", was on a 1/8'' SS shaft, mounted in a custom made brass bearing block. This gives the winch, a "self braking" feature. The "worm" was steel, and the "worm gear" brass. The tricky part, is getting the "level wind" ratio, to winch drum right. I know, over the years, Ron has made improvements. Just before Bellevue last year, he "repaired and serviced" all his winches.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
911 Posts
Gary might have the info as well - I think there is a version using fishing reel parts on a Sea Imp model up island that came from Gary. I'll send a note to Ron to look at these posts - he is away at the moment.
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Feb 29, 2016, 05:40 AM
Canada, ON, Lindsay
Joined Aug 2015
52 Posts
CaptCB , I was thinking of the worm and spur myself, partly for the self braking part, but also for the ease of mounting the motor.

The gear ratio is the sticky part for sure. On the old tugs I worked on, the deck hand was the winding gear and would stand by the winch with a steel bar, particularly when the dual barge "knuckle" was coming aboard.

Mike, I really appreciate your help with this.

Cheers

Tom
Old Feb 29, 2016, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by CaptLee
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
1,029 Posts
wagnmaker Many years ago Ron said to shoot for 40-50rpm on the drum, 3.3 ratio between drum and level wind, use the level wind from a Penn ocean reel. Things have probably changed since then.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2016, 04:24 AM
Canada, ON, Lindsay
Joined Aug 2015
52 Posts
Thanks CaptLee, I will work with those numbers.

Tom