Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by Cidem81
United States, VA, Heathsville
Joined Aug 2015
5 Posts
Discussion
Help! Need advice on Cub conversion

Ok, I'm new (ish) to the forum. I purchased a Hanger Nine 40 Cub. It came with a nib kontonic fun 480-33 motor and Kontonic jazz ESC/bec. My guess is this sat around for awhile as Kontronic no longer markets this model. Im using a AR636 as3x rx and Spektrum servos. My question is should I give this power system a try or go ahead and change to eflite or other. Only other info.Ive found suggsst using a backup battery for reciever. Thoughts?
Cidem81 is offline Find More Posts by Cidem81
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2015, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,741 Posts
You have it, use it. If after you fly it around you dont like it, then change it. Do you know what the BEC is rated for? You could run a external BEC to make sure you have plenty of power to the radio gear.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Oct 23, 2015, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by viva_peru
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
905 Posts
The Kontronic motor should be a nice one. I am assuming that it came with a gearbox as well. I would go ahead and use the motor provided that you have the correct battery and prop combination.

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Oct 28, 2015, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by Cidem81
United States, VA, Heathsville
Joined Aug 2015
5 Posts
Thx

Thx for the advice. Decided to stay with whats familiar so Im going with a eflite setup. Havent decided whether to sell the Kontronic setup, or keep it for another plane in the future when I have more building experience. Everything is NIB so Im sure it will be useful at a later date. In any case thanks again for the advice
Cidem81 is offline Find More Posts by Cidem81
Old Oct 29, 2015, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidem81 View Post
Thx for the advice. Decided to stay with whats familiar so Im going with a eflite setup. Havent decided whether to sell the Kontronic setup, or keep it for another plane in the future when I have more building experience. Everything is NIB so Im sure it will be useful at a later date. In any case thanks again for the advice
I don't blame you for selecting E-Flite Power System as I have a few of my RC Airplane models being powered with them as well. Just note that the larger E-Flite motors such as the Power 46 --- 60 are identical to the Model Motors AXI and they share the same X-mount bolt patterns and Propeller Adapters. At least in my experiences since I have both brand of motors.

Now, if you are open to other "Quality" Brand motors on a budget then, I would highly recommend for you to consider the EMax Motors that are sold by HeadsUphobby as they have performed very well and are half the costs.

The Hangar9 J3 40 instructions calls out for an Evolution .46 and seems like an easy tasks for the EMax BL4020/08 520kv Brushless Outrunner motor that I am familiar with.
http://www.hangar-9.com/ProdInfo/Fil...000-Manual.pdf

You will find this motor to be all that is needed and more for this large 80 inch wing span J3 Piper and then some, depending on how you setup the power system:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-BL4...otor-B-120.htm

This is just a suggestion and I bid you the best of luck.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 29, 2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
14,178 Posts
I'm using a Cobra 3515/14 motor and 50 amp Cobra speed control with switch mode BEC in my 1/6 Scale Sig J-3 Cub which has 71" wsp and weighs about 5 lbs. APC 11x5.5 and 12x6 props work well. Motor batteries are two 2200mah 3S in parallel , duration about 10 minutes. Model is very aerobatic and can do outside loops. Likes to stay airborne in ground effect, fun doing touch and goes, etc. I fly mostly with aileron rudder mix on, off for cross-wind takeoffs, etc. I can override with more rudder with left stick when needed. No differential on ailerons.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 17, 2016, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by Twidget2000
Joined Nov 2013
82 Posts
I am starting my J3 Build. This will be my first semi wood build. I notice as I am browsing the instructions that the elevator and aileron hinges are a paper type material and not a real mechanical hinge. has anyone had issue with this, done something different, or is this a good option?

Appreciate the help,

Thanks.
Twidget2000 is offline Find More Posts by Twidget2000
Old May 18, 2016, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
9,267 Posts
They work fine. We call them CA hinges as in CA glue as that is what you use to install them.
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old May 19, 2016, 06:07 AM
Find More Posts by Twidget2000
Joined Nov 2013
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
They work fine. We call them CA hinges as in CA glue as that is what you use to install them.
Awesome Thanks for the answer. With the Term "CA HINGE" I found tons of info and now I feel better about putting them into my new plane.

NEWBIE here so I assumed they were ok since it was part of the kit, just wanted to ask.

In case anyone else has questions, this is one page I found that had excellent information: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1180
Twidget2000 is offline Find More Posts by Twidget2000
Old May 29, 2016, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
14,178 Posts
I don't like using CYA hinges on larger models. It's a lot more fiddly, but I prefer using nylon pinned hinges. I use a Dubro hinge slotting tools and canopy glue to glue them into wings and ailerons and tail parts. Make the hinge slots carefully before covering and trial fit the hinges. Slots should be in line per kit directions. Cover the parts and then carefully work canopy glue sparingly into the wing slots, etc. being extremely careful not to get glue on the rotating hinge parts, a tiny drop of oil on rotating parts (only) is good. Smear small amount of glue onto hinge tabs and insert into slots, then drive a pin though the structure and hinges to hold them in position. Work glue into slots in aileron, etc., and smear a little glue onto tabs , and install control surface onto hinge tabs leaving space for movement. Let glue dry overnight. If no glue gets into hinges, control surfaces should move freely. Installing hinges and windshields are not my favorite model building things.

BTW there are separate forums devoted to helping beginning balsa model builders.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; May 29, 2016 at 01:52 PM.