SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:32 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I see you have the same problem I first had with needing to put the batt on the end of the nose to get the C/G right.
Thats why I went to swept wings.
On my last Boomer build, with the Km airfoil, I did a mild sweep because the tail was lighter and the 10g motor was so light.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:08 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburress View Post
Here's my R/N models Baby Boomer I built a few years ago. Quick to build and it's a great flyer- very quick and agile with a brushed IPS S2 motor. I'm sure it would be even better with a brushless motor.
Purdy!
sloperb is offline Find More Posts by sloperb
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Sep 2000
125 Posts
Nice Plane

Nice little plane, I enjoyed watching it fly

Jasper135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaught View Post
Wow there's no activity here.

Title says it all.
Here's the maiden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWIQQ1-FO0o

Pic here, undergoing electrical repairs.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...1&d=1260425263

Steve.
jasper135 is offline Find More Posts by jasper135
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:15 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I thought I'd bump this Boomer Thread to let the Boomer guys in on my latest good flyer.

As some know, the Boomer came about in trying to make a pusher FlyingWing more of a stable slowflyer and fly good in the wind.

I recently built a ToonJet puller from a basic FlyingWing core.
I finally got to take it out in 12mph winds, gusting to 18mph and was very happy with the results. It does however have the prop on the front, but if you got basic flying skills down, that's no problem.
At 23"s, with a 10g outrunner, 2 cell, 3ozs flying, it launches vertical, loops and turns real tight, rolls just fine, had good inverted, great in the wind and slows down good as well. Stalls are easy and are just under 50% power.
Plus, its not too hard to build.
I may build a larger version some day, but for now, this one fits the need.
So basicly, it ended up being just about as good as a Boomer, but cheaper and simpler to build.

I'm also working on a Stryker-Lite, with a extended EPP nose and forward wing strakes, powered by a 16g outrunner, 3 cell, flying weight about 8-8.5ozs.
Have fun, Butch
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:30 AM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
Hi! Sorry about dredging up an old thread but I read through most of this thread and have really enjoyed what I have seen about the Wild Wing boomer. I would definitely be interested in building on of these as I live in a windy area and it seems that these cut the wind well. I am fairly certain that the wild wing is no longer sold, is that correct? I have access to blocks of epp and a cnc hot-wire foam cutter so I could theoretically cut out the wild wing if I was able to get the dimensions/ airfoil. I don't know if there are copyright issues with that so I might just make a wing in the rough shape of the wild wing and find a good airfoil to use. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I just wan to say that I was really impressed with the level of professionalism and the quality of this thread, its great!
-Alan
Modarius is offline Find More Posts by Modarius
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,071 Posts
Butch, I'd like to ask you a question also. I like the little ToonJet puller you built back in February. Have you ever considered building something similar but with the wings at a forward sweep? You would need to extend the nose a little more to adjust for a more forward cg, but it would look really cool.
I recently built a FSW pusher wing and it flies just as good as any rear-swept wing.
Here is an example. This one isn't mine, but it's much prettier than the one I built.

Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:04 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Hey Alan,
Your right, the WildWings have been gone for a while.
There airfoil was a semi-symmetrical with a slight reflex.
Lightly loaded, they fly great at parkflyer speeds and slow down real nice.
The nice thing about the WildWing is that they were usually on sale and were molded EPP, which has a skin molded onto it, so its a bit stronger and smoother than cut EPP.

The Boomers can be made out of most any Flying Wing core.
The semi-sym airfoil is good for medium, parkflyer speeds, in winds up to about 20mph, depending on the weight/wing loading.
For higher speed flying and or higher speed winds, the symmetrical airfoil is better and can do well flown slower, if built light.
I can send you a copy of the WW airfoil if you want.
As far a copyright laws, the WW came from China, where they steal any design they want and don't pay much attention any copy right laws.
Butch
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:12 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Hey Murman,
I messed a bit, years ago with forward swept wings, but lost interest.
But never thought about a puller version.
I've toyed with a "Blended Wing" version, a rear-swept wing in front and forward swept in back, joined at the wingtips, with a fuselage and pusher set-up.
Maybe someday. Butch
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:07 AM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
241 Posts
Butch, I just noticed your post back in February with the picture of the "ToonJet puller" as this thread was bumped today and am just curious to know if you might have any drawings or plans for that fuselage? I recently finished building a Crash Test Hobby - Scythe 30" wing and I have another Scythe core that I think I would like to try something similar with. Here's a link to the Scythe thread and post #534 shows my build with similar parts to your "ToonJet", which is why I'm interested in doing something similar. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Scott

Forgot to include the link, here it is:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...204561&page=36
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Last edited by sredlin; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
Yeah, If you wouldn't mind sending me the airfoil for the WW that would be great. If you also have access to things like tip/ root chord and sweep that would also be very helpful. I will keep you posted on the progress of my wing as I get it cut out and built. Thanks Butch!
Modarius is offline Find More Posts by Modarius
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:40 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookid View Post
Yeah, If you wouldn't mind sending me the airfoil for the WW that would be great. If you also have access to things like tip/ root chord and sweep that would also be very helpful. I will keep you posted on the progress of my wing as I get it cut out and built. Thanks Butch!
I still have a dozen different Boomers and parts, so just PM me your address and I'll send you the info. Butch
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
[QUOTE=sredlin;23041761]Butch, I just noticed your post back in February with the picture of the "ToonJet puller" as this thread was bumped today and am just curious to know if you might have any drawings or plans for that fuselage? I recently finished building a Crash Test Hobby - Scythe 30" wing and I have another Scythe core that I think I would like to try something similar with. Here's a link to the Scythe thread and post #534 shows my build with similar parts to your "ToonJet", which is why I'm interested in doing something similar. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Scott

Hi Scott,
I may have a templet around here somewhere. But on my ToonJet Thread, there a pic of the fuselage that maybe you could blow up and print to the size you want.
I made the fuselage out of 9mm EPP, the vertical stab out of 6mm EPP
(one could use depron as well) and the rear wing fillets are 6mm EPP as well.
The fuselage is 15"s long, about 3.75"s high, measuring from the top of the canopy down, and about 1.8"s at the rear.
The V stab is 3.3's high, 4.5"s at the base and 2"s at the top.

The wing sweep is 30 degrees, which I found was very stable, but you could go less if wanted.
Also, since it can fly reasonably slow, I cut the elevons at 2"s wide for better low speed control.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1569243
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
241 Posts
Butch, thanks for the info, I didn't realize that you also have a thread for the ToonJet, I'll definitely check it out, thanks again.

Scott
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:07 PM
United States, MA, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2013
86 Posts
hey butch, here's a possible idea for a Boomer basis
what about a Air Hogs Titan conversion?

somewhat like the Wally Wing.

]you can get a titan from toys r us for $10 and it has a really nice airfoil already. some spars really stiffens it up and any cracks are easy to fix with hot glue (it's mandatory that any breaks, once repaired, must be traced with a black marker and have little stitches drawn across it, or band-aids drawn across big gouges, this gives the plane a lot of personality and would probably make beginners less timid. "battle scars", not failures. Also frankenplanes just look awesome)

the wally wing just converts those old $5 4.5' wingspnan cheapo chuck gliders into pretty awesome flying wings.
http://www.acesim.com/rc/construct0.html

a video build guide for something like this, with the inclusion of plans for building the booms off the back, would be a SERIOUS contender for the crowned king of scratchbuilt trainer/second plane (currently held by, arguably, the super easy and the EZfly)
joekitch is offline Find More Posts by joekitch
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:29 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I used to buy the Chuck gliders at Walmart years ago, but didn't realize they had a newer one. I'll have to check it out, since my Wife works there.

The Chuck gliders were good for experimenting with, usually the wings. I still have a Thumper(my design) pusher trainer with one of those wings, we use for windy days.

Do they look like regular styrofoam? Or something better?

It looks like it could be a easy twin motor set-up as well! Butch