HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Graupner/SJ mz-24 2.4GHz HoTT 12 Channel System

The Graupner/SJ mz-24 HoTT 2.4GHz 12 channel radio system including a large color touch screen brings strong, core telemetry support to the marketplace. With 2.4GHz HoTT frequency hopping and 30 model memory with micro-SD expansion this system really delivers.

Splash

Radio:Graupner/SJ mz-24 2.4GHz HoTT 12 channel
Channels:12
Display:3.5" Color Touch Screen
Telemetry:Internal LCD or External Smart Box
Model Memory:30
Model Types:Airplane/Heli/Glider
Modulation:Graupner HoTT 2.4GHz Bi-directional FHSS
Toggle Switch:8
Sliders:2
MP3 Player:Integrated
Trainer:Wireless or Wired
Battery:4000mAh LiPo 1s
Weight:839g (29.6oz)
Dimensions:194 x 286 x 112mm
Controller:32 bit
US distributor:Open Hobby
Price:$499.00

Graupner/SJ has released the mz-24 HoTT 2.4GHz 12 Channel transmitter system with a full color 3.5" touch screen. This is not typically seen in systems of this price, in fact color is very rare. Touch screen programing saves time and energy allowing the user to touch to change many areas of the screen. The color screen is bright and crisp.

Graupner/SJ also brings with their strong telemetry support using the Hopping Telemetry Transmission (HoTT) bi-directional 2.4GHz technology. This unique telemetry technology supporting bi-directional data transmission to give user the real-time information without external receivers or devices. The HoTT receivers support voltage and signal strength telemetry out of the box. Additional modules are also available and even better, they are very affordable!

The Graupner/SJ mz-24 system is loaded with features is loaded with key features the discerning modeler will appreciate.

Key Features

• HoTT Hopping Bi-directional Telemetry Technology
  • Up to 75 Frequency Hopping Channels
  • 3.5" Full Color Touch Screen
  • Smart Voice Announcement System
  • Real-time Data with Optional Telemetry Sensors
  • SUMO and SUMD for Convenient Gyro Use
  • Advanced Wireless Training System
  • Standard micro SD Memory Cards for Model Sharing and Expansion
  • 30 Model Memory

The feature set does not stop with this list. Other features make the Graupner/SJ systems worth a look.

• Fast One-Touch Binding
  • Range Test
  • Airborne Low-voltage Telemetry Warnings
  • Receiver voltage from 2.5v-8.4v
  • 10ms Response Times
  • Full Fail-safe Support
  • Multiple Receiver Binding
  • Firmware Updates with Included USB Interface

The mz-24 provides advanced programing options. This includes full support for three model types.

Airplane Function

• 14 Wing Type
  • 3 Tail Types
  • Mixing (R-A, A-R, R-E)
  • Throttle Curve
  • 8 Programmable Mixes
  • Snap Roll Function
  • Aileron Differential
  • Flap Mix (F-A, F-E, F-E)
  • Airbrake
  • Idle Low

Helicopter Function

• 6 Swash Plate
  • 7 Point Pitch Curves
  • 7 Point Throttle Curves
  • 6 Pitch Throttle Trim Functions
  • Swash Limit Function
  • Swash Mix Function
  • 8 Programmable Mixes
  • Throttle Mixing

Sailplane Function

• 14 Wing Type
  • 3 Tail Types
  • Mixing (R-A, A-R, R-E)
  • Throttle Curve
  • 8 Programmable Mixes
  • Snap Roll Function
  • Aileron Differential
  • Flap Mix (F-A, F-E, F-E)
  • Butterfly

Transmitter

This transmitter has a modern look including especially when you see the bright color touch-screen display on the bottom of the transmitter. The mz-24 case was black with attractive, chrome gimbal surrounds.

The mz-24 is extremely comfortable to hold, with the large indents in the case rear and rubber rear grips. It also included a nice rotating neck-strap connector for a perfectly balanced strap connection.

The stick gimbals were smooth as silk, some of the best I have ever used. This is likely due to the quad ball-raced gimbals. The gimbals had light spring tension but they are adjustable when you remove the rear grips and adjust the spring tension screws now accessible.

The sticks have knurling on the knob top and stick lengths were adjustable length. The switches and trim buttons were comfortably placed, easy to actuate and are well labeled. The sliders are well recessed to avoid accidental actuation. They have a center detent so you know when you are at half actuation. They are located on the rear of the case above the grips.

The switch tasks and sticks are 100% user assignable, a powerful programing feature. The mz-24 has eight switches, seven are three position and two include a momentary section. The mz-24 also had two separate digital trim switches: DT1, DT2 for assignable use. It also includes four rotary knobs DV1, DV2, DV3 and DV4.

The rear of the transmitter includes the large battery hatch and a covered panel that reveals the Data port for updates, a standard 3.5mm audio connection, Micro SD card slot (with 4GB card included!) and the mini-USB connector.

The power switch was situated well away from the joystick trims. The trim levers are digital and were intentionally placed slightly off stick centers just where you expect them. The program screen is located across the bottom of the mz-24 case. The large 3.5 inch display is in full color and is very easy to read and use.

This touch screen is crisp, bright and the colors really pop. The touch screen allows quick menu navigation. As with any new system the programing does take some time to understand. The system included a nice clip-on stylus that attaches to the rear handle. This is a great touch! You can also actuate the screen with your fingernail in a pinch.

The screen features a back-light, that increased the visibility dramatically especially in low light or night flying conditions. The back-light on time settings were user adjustable, good as use of that decreased battery life.

Included Metal Case

Another great feature of the Graupner/SJ mz-24 Transmitter is the custom case, included with the system. It includes plenty of extra storage for the charger, receivers, telemetry devices and cables. This case is a great feature and should be included on all higher end transmitters.

Firmware Updates

For data storage, the mz-24 included a 4GB micro SD card and a standard SD adapter card.

This system also includes a mini USB data port for system updates. This interface allowed you to connect the mz-24 to the Graupner Firmware Upgrade Studio software you install on your computer for software updates. Internet connectivity is required.

My update was quick and painless. The Firmware Upgrade Studio software is easy to use and intuitive. You may need to install an updated USB driver but that is also included in the software download.

I appreciated the attractive Graupner/SJ branded neck-strap. As a pinch-the-sticks pilot I have long used straps and appreciate their usefulness. It was great to see one included in this complete system offering.

Smart Voice Announcement System

Awesome - Voice! Yes the Graupner/SJ system includes voice reminders and alerts. Voice alerts are configurable and are especially useful during flight with telemetry for monitoring key flight data.

RCGroups Review Graupner mz-24 - Voice RF and Splash (0 min 50 sec)

Telemetry

It is clear that Graupner/SJ feels that telemetry should be a core part of the system, not just an add-on afterthought. In fact the HoTT Hopping Telemetry Transmission, telemetry is fully incorporated in the system.

The receivers report voltage and signal strength back to the transmitter and/or the available Smart box. Nothing is needed to enable this functionality on the mz-24, it is core to the system.

RCGroups Review for MZ-24 Receiver Strength (1 min 3 sec)

You can also purchase additional telemetry devices when needed. Of note, I have found these telemetry add-on's to be very affordable, somewhat unusual in the world of RC telemetry.

Optional telemetry offerings include:

• Vario Module (Altitude)
  • GPS/Vario Module
  • Temperature Module
  • Voltage Module
  • RPM Module
  • ESC's with Telemetry

Graupner has a strong commitment to telemetry and that is easy to see when using this HoTT system. Modules connect with standard servo wiring and can be combined with simple "Y" type connectors. Modules are also very affordable with several of these sensors under $10 USD!

Vario Module

The Graupner/SJ Vario Module is used to monitor flight altitude in real time. The Vario Module notifies of increases or decreases in altitude while the altitude shows the difference of take-off altitude in meters. You can change the parameter to feet if desired. The functions of Vario sensor can be programmed with HoTT transmitter or an optional, affordable Smart box.

The data for the Vario module is displayed on the color transmitter LCD screen in real time! This functionality is very useful for glider, sailplane and DLG pilots.

I have setup my module on a switch to report the maximum altitude in voice so I don't have to look down at the screen. Very nice.

Key Features - Vario Module

• Model altitude measurement
  • Warning thresholds for minimum altitude, maximum altitude, climb/drop speed
  • Warning time can be set to: OFF, 5, 10, 15, 29, 30 seconds
  • Warning repeat time can be set to: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 minutes

ESC

The Brushless +T 60 ESC with BEC shows the Graupner commitment to telemetry. The "+T" ESC's feature simple programming setup for telemetry data all integrated with the core HoTT system.

This +T ESC gives real-time information on:

• Motor RPM
  • Voltage
  • Consumption Current
  • ESC Temperature
  • Warnings and voice alerts
The ESC's also include standard expected functionality including over-temp shutoff, low-voltage cut off and over-current protection. This 60 AMP version also included a switch-mode BEC that can be used with the higher cell counts.

Key Features - 60 AMP ESC

• High-efficient HV BEC system - Adjustable voltage of 0.2V steps in range of 5.0~8.0V
  • Simple programming setup
  • Real-time information on RPM, voltage, temperature, user programmable warnings
  • Smooth throttle response
  • Multi protection system (Temperature, Low-voltage cut off, Over-current)
  • Inrunner and Outrunner motors supported
  • Forward/Reverse function (Boat, Car)
  • Firmware updates with PC Software

Configuration of the ESC can be done directly in the transmitter. Once configured you can write the settings right to the ESC. Very impressive. Again telemetry is no afterthought here.

The Brushless +T 60 ESC was included for review and telemetry testing. It was installed on another review model the Sig Sbach. Using the telemetry showed an influx of valuable system power data. I had all of the critical information right on the color display of the mz-24 transmitter!

RCGroups Review for MZ-24 ESC Telemetry (1 min 17 sec)

Battery and Charger

The mz-24 included a 4000 mAh LiPo single cell battery as standard. The pack is terminated in a radio standard servo type connector. No balance worries either since this is a single cell pack. The standard radio/servo type connector will allow external charging with standard connectors.

The included 500mAh charger had the US AC outlet prongs. For those who would rather use classic technology the firmware supports a 4 cell NiMh pack and voltages can be set in configuration software with a few touches of the screen.

While in use I noted that neither there are no charge indicators or LED's. You have no way of determining when you are charging. I really wanted an LED on the charger or even better it would have been nice to see the Graupner logo illuminate while charging. The single pack appears to be charge limited at around 4.12v as well. This accounts for the 4.1v displayed on the transmitter battery display.

Manual

The mz-24 also includes a manual tucked away in its own holding area in the bottom of the radio case. mz-24 Manual. It is on par with the manuals included in the majority of radio systems today.

I have appreciated that Open Hobby staff and Graupner/SJ reps are active on the RCGroups forums. If you have questions they are here for support. I have used them several times as I have learned the system. They are professional and quick to help out. Take a look at the Graupner/SJ support forum on RCGroups for that assistance!

Programming

The Graupner/SJ mz-24 12 channel system comes with powerful programing options. Many powerful systems take a while to master and the mz-24 is no exception to that rule. The touch-screen programing does speed up the learning curve however. Programing using the touch screen operation over buttons, dials and other selection methods really speeds up menu navigation.

RCGroups Review for MZ-24 System Menus (2 min 17 sec)

Lets review some of the menus on the mz-24.

Main Menu

RCGroups Review for MZ-24 Main Menu (1 min 29 sec)

Expo and Rates

RCGroups Review for MZ-24 Dual Rates and Expo (1 min 29 sec)

MP3

RCGroups Review for MZ-24 MP3 (0 min 31 sec)

Receiver

The Graupner/SJ mz-24 system currently comes complete with two receivers, one 6 and one 12 channel. This is certainly welcome and is likely promotional for a limited time period. This adds value to the Graupner package. I have found receivers to be very affordable, good news for those considering converting to Graupner/SJ as primary.

12L HoTT 6 Channel Receiver

Graupner/SJ 6 Channel 2.4GHz HoTT receiver also has the core telemetry technology that supports Bi-directional data transmission to give user the real-time telemetry information. I appreciated that the receiver was very compact, lightweight and affordable. It uses end plugs so you can install this in the smallest of models without a fuss. The 6 channel 12L receiver has a single whisker type antenna.

I was impressed that the 12L receiver also includes the option for attachment of telemetry modules if you give up the use of channel 5. It is great to see even the lower end receivers with the option for the simple add on telemetry modules! Highly impressive as all too frequently the lower end receivers have limited functionality.

24L HoTT 12 Channel Receiver

Graupner/SJ 12 Channel 2.4GHz HoTT receiver also has the core telemetry technology that supports Bi-directional data transmission to give user the real-time telemetry information. As expected the receiver also uses up to 75 channels on the 2.4GHz band allowing for reliability as it hops from channel to channel. Flight data is prioritized over telemetry data, for obvious reasons.

I appreciated that the receiver was compact and lightweight. It also uses end plugs my preference. Those end plugs allow placement in various model types with little drama. With the dual whisker type antennas you have better redundancy and signal shadow resistance.

Key Features - 24L Receiver

• 75 channels ensures extreme operating reliability and immunity to external interference
  • Two LEDs signal operating status
  • Optimized size and weight
  • Increased range and excellent receiver input sensitivity by 2 diverse antennas
  • End point servo connections in the front panel
  • Programmable failsafe functions
  • SUMO, SUMD Signal output for the convenient use of gyro and control board

The 12 channel 24L HoTT receiver includes a dedicated telemetry port so all channels remain functional even when you add-on telemetry modules. While there is only a single telemetry port a simple "Y" type cable can be used for attaching multiple modules.

Both of the HoTT receivers include software updatability with included connectors and USB interface module.

Graupner/SJ also sells receivers with incorporated telemetry modules including the vario functionality. Not to be outdone they also have receivers that include 3-Axis gyros for stabilization. They also have micro sized receivers that include build in ESC's for brushed motors. An impressive lineup of functionality.

Flight Testing

I have flown the mz-24 with a number of different models from 8oz foam planes to large electric models. I have a cherished, but old model, the Skimmer 400 that always gets tapped for new radio testing duty. This 1.5m powered glider was easy to get to speck height and I was never able to approach anything that resembled a usable range limit.

In fact the Vario module showed that the small Skimmer actually is at speck height at 235 meters. Good to know all told by the amazing in-flight telemetry readouts and voice alerts.

Telemetry Logging

Lets be honest during the flight it is not advisable to look down to view telemetry data. Graupner has a wonderful feature included to remove the need for viewing the transmitter screen. Besides voice, flight data is logged. This is an excellent option as you can replay your entire flight at home on the laptop.

Logging has been a spectacular feature showing all the relevant flight data. Here is some views of the data from a flight of the Sig Sbach.

Every flight is captured upon time start and it ends at timer stop. So if you use the throttle stick to start and stop the timer, each time you do this you will have a new log file. It would be nice if you could specify the entire flight. Due to that I assign the timer to a switch.

Needless to say this is valuable data all while taken in-flight, where it matters! The HoTT telemetry support is very impressive and helps to show just how your various components are operating. Impressive!

Conclusion

I was very impressed with the Graupner/SJ mz-24 radio system. This powerful 2.4GHz system was reliable during my ground and in-flight testing. As we all know 2.4GHz band has been remarkable to the hobby, the Graupner/SJ is no exception. I felt totally connected to my models and experienced no issues with latency or signal delays.

The Graupner/SJ mz-24 has powerful software combined with the large 3.5" LCD color touch screen that was easy to navigate. The touch screen programing made menu navigation a snap.

Full stick, switch and channel assignments show the power of the mz-24 system. P-mixes are plentiful and available for your most demanding programing situations. The Graupner mz-24 includes model support for Heli, Acro and Glider models.

Programing with the Graupner code base will require a learning curve as is the case with most advanced programing systems. The touch screen had me popping around the screens quickly. I did find myself wanting more of the menu's to be activated by "touch". I am sure this will be included in future updates.

The mainstay of the HoTT system is Hopping Telemetry data. This is not your run of the mill telemetry but you could tell the system was based on telemetry. Receiver voltage and signal strength right out of the box with all HoTT receivers. What is better, several inexpensive add-on's are available including RPM, Vario, flight pack voltage and temps.

The Graupner "T+" telemetry ESC's are simply awesome! Those add real-time current, RPM (if you program the poles), voltage and temperature data. Amazing!

Software updates are available via Graupner Firmware Update Studio software available from Open Hobby for download. This intuitive software enables next generation updates for the transmitter, receivers and the telemetry devices. Very nice to know you don't have to send your equipment off for an update for the latest and greatest firmware updates.

The throttle stick timer activation was welcome as I always forget to start timers! Telemetry logging is by flight time, so switch assignment may be better for the Graupner mz-24. For night and dusk flying the color back-lit display was very welcome. The color screen is bright and easy to read. In the full sunlight it is more challenging but it is very easy to shade the screen, just as I do with my cell phone.

The gimbals were very smooth and precise, due to the quad ball-raced supports. Switches were easy to find and actuate. I was very pleased to see the sliders on the back of this system. Those are great for camber, flaps and any other desired proportional flight surface controls. They are well recessed and were impossible to accidentally activate. They include center detents.

The Graupner/SJ 12L and 24L receivers have performed well in flight. Both the 6 and 12 channel receivers were small, light and included end plugs, a huge plus. These slim receivers fit well in all my installations even the slender glider fuselage.

I have been fortunate enough to be selected to review various 2.4GHz radio systems since they have been introduced to the market. The Graupner mz-24 HoTT system brings strong telemetry support, a wonderful back-lit, color touch screen combined with powerful software and awesome support. The Graupner/SJ mz-24 is a hit. Give one a try!

Hits

• Color touch screen
  • Integrated voice!
  • Custom metal case included
  • Remarkable integrated telemetry support
  • Two receivers - 6 and 12 channel included!
  • Competitive pricing
  • Included 4GB Micro SD card
  • Included stylus

Misses

• Programing isn't always intuitive
  • More of the menu items should be touch selectable

Last edited by pda4you; Jan 19, 2014 at 05:31 PM..

Discussion

Old Feb 06, 2014, 01:47 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,306 Posts
I began to reply "how many people can afford this radio?", but after reading up I have to say I wish I could!

The ability to assign channels to whichever switch you want is something that EVERY "computer radio" SHOULD be able to do..... I'm looking at you, Hitec.

I like the fact that the tx doesn't look like a manga robot superhero.

The telemetry and displayed info are very impressive for a $500 system

I didn't notice anything in the writeup about the manual for this system.... is it translated to english by someone who isn't the equivalent of a mentally challenged primate? (again, I'm looking at YOU, Hitec)

Nice job on the review!
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Feb 06, 2014, 02:25 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,534 Posts
Nice review! I have been looking forward to it! All of their transmitters have telemetry and the smart voice announcement system but the lower end ones don't have a built in speaker so you need to use earbuds or headphones that plug into the transmitter. If this one is out of your price range look at the other transmitters in this new line-up. They were at the AMA Expo and at the Arizona Electric Festival and were very helpful in sharing information about their new transmitters and chargers. Their planes will be arriving in about two months and some come with receivers for their transmitters installed but are also available without receivers. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2014, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,050 Posts
Looks like the first review that was produced in a "darkroom".
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Feb 07, 2014, 02:03 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
Yea the video's of a touch screen on a radio - not easy to do..... :0)
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2014, 02:11 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,776 Posts
That's such a cool transmitter.

I'm guessing as far as RX compatibility it's proprietary? If it was Spectrum-compatible I'd order one right now..Lol
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Feb 07, 2014, 04:35 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
That's such a cool transmitter.

I'm guessing as far as RX compatibility it's proprietary? If it was Spectrum-compatible I'd order one right now..Lol
Correct - Graupner HoTT. Very reasonably priced though - especially considering the telemetry integration.

I get it though, switching costs are a consideration. I will likely use the Graupner as primary for glider stuff. That is where I really appreciate the telemetry items.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2014, 08:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
1,856 Posts
Is it a review or an advertisement?

Why do ALL 'asian' radios have a long list of many functions limited to specific 'model types'? It's silly, but they all do it. Like curve functions for two channels on a heli and only one for fixed wing. Rest assured, once you have used a radio where near enough all functions apply to all channels, regardless of model type, you will never go back. My radio, about the same price as this one, has 13 point curves, servo slow, and fixed points, etc. on all channels, for example. They are very useful, but you don't have to use them. Doesn't add to the cost, the function, if it exists at all, is in theory available to all channels already. Here's a couple of examples. Combining curve, delay, and servo slow you can make u/c door sequencers, automatic when you hit 'Retract', without the manufacturer having to provide a 'special function' which is usually limited to only that. Or have a three position switch for flaps - two positions of the switch you have assigned giving fixed positions, the third position returning control to any slider you have chosen, or coupling them to the ailerons, or giving a third fixed position of course. Useful on sophisticated gliders. Not that I need to do that, on mine you can use a switch or switches to swap instantly between any number of complete memories for the same model. Much more flexible than asian 'modes', though you can do that if you want. Or you can quickly remove a switch and replace it with a variable pot, or vice versa. Or safely change aileron differential, flap to elevator mixing, etc. in flight. No testing it, landing, alter it and try it again needed.

Hope they have had the sense to make it easy for the user to change stick modes from however it happened to come..

As for this particular radio, it's just another run-of-the-mill, rather limited, mid priced, system, no better or worse than any other asian make. Nice enough, and nothing to stop you going for it, but nothing to make it stand out. Toyota or Nissan. I don't like the imitation 'chrome' round the sticks. Makes it cheap looking. Nor those big labels either side of the screen. Why do the asians find it necessary to fill any bare space with silly words and meaningless abbreviations? The Writers Key Features And Function Lists Are A Laugh Too. Every Word Is Capitalised. Presumably That Makes It A Superior Radio System. Or An SRS.

The telemetry looks nice, though for me personally, it is a non-essential. Good that the adjustment of the sensors can be done with the transmitter rather than requiring a PC or an extra box. Also good that their ESCs can be programmed with the transmitter, again no extra box needed. And none of that trying to figure out the horrible 'beep codes' that are so common. But there is always a doubt that will the sensors, ESCs, etc. still be programmable with this 'old' transmitter when you buy, for example, an ESC in six years time and they have 'improved' it..

Would I buy one? If I wanted a radio of this general type and my local dealer had only this, yes. If he had only Futaba I would buy that, or only Spektrum, that. They are all much the same. Local dealer? With this amount of money I like to get my hands on it before I buy. Can't do that online.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Feb 07, 2014 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 08, 2014, 09:23 AM
Crash testing services
Joined Dec 2004
67 Posts
Isn't the Frsky made in southeast Asia, genius? Trying to stereotype an entire regions products is no more intelligent than stereotyping the people themselves. Very inappropriate. Way to show your true self.
purpleturnip is offline Find More Posts by purpleturnip
Old Feb 08, 2014, 02:31 PM
Joined Oct 2013
1,856 Posts
What is wrong with 'asian'? It is a generic term, just the same as european, american (much larger than just the USA, believe it or not) and middle eastern. Do you not use those terms? The very fact that you pick up on asian, where you would most probably not on european, shows your true self, not mine, The asians do not need special 'defending' by you, as if they were in some way different from the others above.

As for the radios, the asian ones are all near-identical in layout, their 1950s jukebox appearance, and similar software, with the exception of the Taranis, which uses free 'open', western developed software, thus giving it superior software at zero cost and a price advantage.

Three successful and superior systems are european. Oh, sorry, I have used a generic term yet again. Shown my true self. Though one, Multiplex, is now not entirely made there, and is in fact now asian owned. And Multiplex produce a fairly low cost systems.

The USA does not seem to be capable of making any radios at all. To be fair, the UK does not either.

I will use 'far eastern' in future if it makes you feel better. Far from where, I am not sure. Is the USA your preferred reference point?
Last edited by Mark Powell; Feb 08, 2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 12:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,628 Posts
I think Mark is the one confused about the difference between a review and a commercial.

Mike has done a ton of reviews of major 2.4 radio systems over the years, including the first one ever on the market, the original DX6 back in 2005.

I find his excellent reviews to be in depth, well reasoned and insightful.

A "commercial" would have no negative comments. Mike points out a couple of issues.

As far as the radio having nothing new for its price point, I will have to disagree. Show me another system with a color touch screen and integrated telemetry anywhere near this one.

We all know you think your personal radio choice shows you to be an individual of great insight and superior technical savvy. No need to keep pointing it out over and over again in various threads.

Your posting was unusually cranky, even considering the source. You having a bad day over there, or something? Perhaps you need more fiber in your diet?...

An old saw comes to mind. "Those that can, do. Those that can't, criticize"

Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Feb 09, 2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 02:42 PM
Joined Oct 2013
1,856 Posts
Thomas B,

Either the review is the most detailed I have ever seen anywhere, over 45 years or so, or most of it is lifted from Graupner SJ material. The writing style makes me suspect the latter. It reads like the publicity material the manufacturers send to magazines.

Another system at this price point? Apart from the color screen, which 'in flight' serves no great purpose, Multiplex. Not sold in the US (which does not change its abilities), but popular elsewhere. A 16 channel Evo system, with a matching receiver, costs about the same as this, maybe slightly less.

Receiver features first. Split batteries, you can use two, with one as a reserve, and it switches from one to the other automatically, no external 'power boxes' needed. Dual receiver. All their receivers are two separate receivers, each with its own aerial, in the one case. If you want, you can add a second and third receiver, giving you four or six. No extra boxes, and the 'best one' will be used at any moment, or you can split the servos into groups. Not like, for example, Futaba, which has one receiver with two aerials. 'HV' capable - works from 3 to 12 volts. Failsafe. Trim the model, hold it in the desired attitude with the sticks or trims, press 'Send FS' on the appropriate screen and it is set. In flight. You don't have to make a ground based 'estimate'. I believe that is unique.

Telemetry

Receivers return voltage and signal quality as standard, you don't have to add anything.

Telemetry was 'invented' by Multiplex. They were the first to make it available. Quickly copied by everyone else. (As an aside, other Multiplex firsts were - computer radios, swappable modules for frequency band changes, FM modulation, digital servos.)
Telemetry fully integrated. No add on telemetry boxes needed. Also they are 'daisy chained' Each sensor has an input and output connector. You just string them together and connect the final lead to the receiver. No expansion boxes needed. Full alarm and voice.

Data logging.

No color screen, admittedly, but it has had full color data logging, generally similar to Graupner SJ, from day one, about 4 years ago On a PC, same as theirs. User upgradeable from their website.

Software.

As a third of the price, the software is as flexible as Jeti or Weatronic. If you have tried a Jeti or Multiplex you will soon agree that it is much better than the common herd. Easily updatable by the user using a simple low cost PC cable which is also used as a simulator cable for their own free simulator or those by Real Flight and others. Lets you use your own transmitter.

Taranis?

A lower price than any of them. Because they did not develop their own software, they use the free software from the 'Open Software' group.What the equipment build quality is like I do not know. As a Multiplex user I suspect the 'Open Software' is developed by Multiplex enthusiasts. There are many similarities. Or maybe the just liked the intuitive and flexible Multiplex way.

Why do I buy this stuff?

Because having had proportional' transmitters of many makes, starting with Dee Bee Quadruplex in 1962, I think Multiplex is the best of the 'mid price' outfits. I did not buy it and justify it afterwards, I bought it because it is good. Starting ten years ago.

Support?

I recently changed a 12 year old Multiplex system from 35MHz to 2.4Ghz by purchasing the Multiplex purpose designed module from my local dealer, who had it in stock. Unplugged the old module, unscrewed the 35 MHz aerial, plugged the new module into the old internal socket, screwed in the 2.4 aerial. Took less than 5 minutes. Telemetry popped up on the screen all by itself, even though it was not even thought of when the transmitter was made. Can anyone else match this?

Also the UK service agent is able to fix most of the Multiplex equipment going back the 56 years to when Multiplex first made r/c.

What do I think of this Graupner?

Given that I strongly dislike the '1950s jukebox' styling of all of these far eastern ones, and if Multiplex were not available, I think I would buy the Graupner SJ in preference to anything else. With one reservation. At the present time UK support is poor and distribution is very limited. Let us hope it improves.
Last edited by Mark Powell; Feb 09, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 02:49 PM
United States, GA, Macon
Joined Feb 2014
1 Posts
I think, after briefly looking for this radio, because I LOVE it, and want one,I found out that Graupner, is a German company, I've been in tool and die for 25 years..It doesn't matter where something is assembled, what matters is the engineering that goes into it, and the quality assurance, and the parts quality that are used.. some things from China are great, but its a well engineered part, and it was quality checked, and was made with quality parts.. Japan went through this 25 years ago, they just worked cheaper, now they make some of the most respected world class quality products you can buy.. China will grow into this as well.. Right now, every company on earth is exploiting their cheap labor, and thats why we done have jobs here anymore!! But China will start developing their own products, and they will learn how to make innovative world class products on their own.. We are going to really be in serious trouble when that happens.. we are allready feeling it.. So it all depends, what who and how much something is, mostly its cheap even dangerous stuff... But they certainly have the capability with smarter companies setting up shop there and q.a ing products that just as well of been made here! Labor costs! What I would Love to know is where can I get one of these radios.. is anyone importing them, I certainly need a company to stand behind it for warranty issues if need be!! I think this is what all radios will look like in 5 years,,If futaba made this radio, it would be over 1200.00.. Please if you know where to but them from, I would love to try one, its really a awesome looking full featured innovative product!! Thanks!!
awb5150 is offline Find More Posts by awb5150
Last edited by awb5150; Feb 09, 2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: missspelled
Old Feb 09, 2014, 02:59 PM
Joined Oct 2013
1,856 Posts
+1

But Graupner is not a German company, it went totally bust a year ago. A Korean firm, now calling itself Graupner SJ, who made the radios for them, acquired the wreckage. It was owed lots of money so probably got Graupner for nothing. Graupner itself has never made radios. It did the basic design and had others make them. Starting with Grundig (then known for tape recorders) many years ago.

China is proceeding well, and this is a good radio, even though I have no personal wish to buy one.

The US has brought its trade problems upon itself, as have we in the UK, though maybe not as severely. We buy foreign things and then wonder why our kids can't find decent jobs. Not joined up thinking, is it?

US import and support? Yes. He is on here. Often.
Last edited by Mark Powell; Feb 09, 2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 03:04 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,946 Posts
I thought this was about Graupner and not about Multiplex.
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N