SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 04, 2013, 04:18 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Discussion
### High Performance Spinners Thread ###

Hi, dont know what you think, but I having a hard time finding spinners that are good for high performance, both for folding AND normal props.

I was thinking of making this a thread which all can say which spinners they like, and what sizes there are to buy, both outerdiameter of spinner and for which shaft they are availible.

You can also write down your thoughts of the spinners, maybee you have tested it, how many rpms and so on...

It is also ok to write down which spinners to avoid..

I will write down all my experiance as soon as I come home, be free to write down what you like..

For exemple Im having hard time finding a good folding spinner 30mm for 5mm shaft, that can take power and rpm good..

Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2013, 05:05 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Hi, dont know what you think, but I having a hard time finding spinners that are good for high performance, both for folding AND normal props.

I was thinking of making this a thread which all can say which spinners they like, and what sizes there are to buy, both outerdiameter of spinner and for which shaft they are availible.

You can also write down your thoughts of the spinners, maybee you have tested it, how many rpms and so on...

It is also ok to write down which spinners to avoid..

I will write down all my experiance as soon as I come home, be free to write down what you like..

For exemple Im having hard time finding a good folding spinner 30mm for 5mm shaft, that can take power and rpm good..

Sebbe
Fixed Props: Graupner Precision Spinners or Aeronaut.
folding Props: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post24311127
sizes spinnercaps from 29 mm to 60mm in White and carbonlook with and without airholes
sizes centerpeaces for 3 - 3,2 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 8mm motorshaft
from up 30mm to 65mm wide.

graupner - aeronaut and for folding props tested by me with high power and high rpm
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 05:37 AM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
For fixed props I've been using the Tru-Turn 30mm spinners, I've had good luck with them for a few years now.
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Old Jun 04, 2013, 05:39 AM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
+1 to the spinners Rolf linked. They are seriously awesome. Very well balanced and secure on the shaft.

I like the mpjet 30mm spinners for small fixed props. (4-5")

Some guys here have had some bad luck with Tru-turn... I have one under my desk that is rusting away!
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:30 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
very good spinners for fixed props, 30mm, shafts 2.3, 3 and 3.2..

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=2488

They can take very high rpms...
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:33 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Rold, and sykotic, how does these spinners on picture take higher rpm ?

I have few of them, but was worried about the platstic top is not fixed at root, so maybee ut will start flex at higher rpm?
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:51 AM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
I have spun one at 50k rpm (without a prop) in my hand (lets not talk about safety right now..) and it didn't appear to have any vibration or problems.

The plastic is pretty thick, and it is only the last few MM that are not supported, at least on the ones I have (29, 34, 40mm).

I have used those spinners from aircraft world that you linked as well Sebbe, they are great.
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
Old Jun 04, 2013, 07:20 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
ok, maybee those spinners are the one we are after then.. 50 k is damn good.. yes the plastic is pretty thick..

I have only one problem with mine, its the spinnerkappe is not really good fasten with those 2 screws, seems the plastic wears out quick when screw/unscrew, making the spinnerkappe able to move sideways, not good... I will order a few spinnerkappe more and try to get new slightly bigger screws....

ofcourse you should not screw/unscrew it to many times

But if you can move the top sideways, makes me wunder if the screws are tiny to small in diamater, hmmm ? Guess i have to measure them, to see if thats the problem..

Good finding thow..
Last edited by sebbe; Jun 04, 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 07:26 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
I've just bought a HM spinner, very nice IMO, I really like the clamp fitting over the RFM's grub screws, but I like the cool nose of the RFM.

Rolf told me the HM's have no RPM limit, I thought RFM told me the same, but I've got a figure of 60000rpm in my head from somewhere, so maybe that was the limit? I've deleted the email now so you'd have to double check if you needed to.

MP Jet do an aluminium cool nose spinner which I found well balanced and uses a traditional collet fixing. The cone is only epoxied on to the centre piece though.

The 30 mm Hyper spinners from Vladimir are quote 'I think Hyper Spiner 30/x/3 will be ok to 500 W motor.' Maybe not typically high performance at 500w, but considering my Voodoo is currently only about 270w on 2s using DUP's 4.7 x 6.1 folder I think they'd be ok on a small high performance model. The reason I was interested in this spinner is they do a 3 degree twisted yoke on the 30mm, it would up the pitch of the folder to nearly 7", I'm pretty sure the motor will be ok but not sure if it'll ever really get going on the Voodoo due to doing smaller circuits. Or it would up the pitch on the GM folders a little too, on the 5" it would take it to 5.72", not sure about the 4.75 GM tho, might take to a touch over 5" I think.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:03 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,388 Posts
Quote:
very good spinners for fixed props, 30mm, shafts 2.3, 3 and 3.2..

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=2488

They can take very high rpms...
Those are MPJet spinners

RFM make a 30mm 5mm spinner, you wont break the centre peice, it is possible to pop the cone off though if you knock em http://www.soaringusa.com/product.ph...&cat=58&page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic View Post
Some guys here have had some bad luck with Tru-turn... I have one under my desk that is rusting away!
Hey I didnt spend 3 days trying to balance the worlds most expensive wonky spinner so you could let it corrode away under your desk
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Jun 04, 2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:59 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
So far the best for 30mm 5mm shaft foldings are RFM or HM spinners...both have grubscrews, I would like to find one with a collet
If anyone finds another one in this dimension, please YELL !!

I have some idea, but will post it later if I descide to try it, its a combination of yoke and spinner from different brands, need some dremel and balancing to make that heppened thow..
Old Jun 04, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Oct 2008
473 Posts
Try this http://www.espritmodel.com/bb-alumin...ropellers.aspx

Quote:
So far the best for 30mm 5mm shaft foldings are RFM or HM spinners...both have grubscrews, I would like to find one with a collet
If anyone finds another one in this dimension, please YELL !!

I have some idea, but will post it later if I descide to try it, its a combination of yoke and spinner from different brands, need some dremel and balancing to make that heppened thow..
miche is offline Find More Posts by miche
Old Jun 04, 2013, 11:52 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
Pretty sure they're MP Jet spinners.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Jun 04, 2013, 01:40 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
[QUOTE

Some guys here have had some bad luck with Tru-turn... I have one under my desk that is rusting away![/QUOTE]

Well I have 4 of them now and they have no issues, smooth runners.
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Old Jun 04, 2013, 02:24 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
yepp turbo spinners, they sell under this name in few shops, I think Lindinger sells them , looks nice, the only problem I see for slim F5D:s or Pylon, is the yoke sticks out a bit to much, for the 30mm spinner maybee the yoke is 38mm between holes, to much.. but ofcourse, the look nice