HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
Discussion
How to know top or bottom

Hi peeps.. Sometimes people will get disoriented when the jet are far and very fast. Are there any tip how to identify whether its the top or bottom of the jet. I know there's a gyro over there like eagle tree guardian. For this discussion, let it be old school without the gyro part hehe. I know theres some pro pilot over here and have an excellent tip. Thanks in advance.

Adi.
cheshire is offline Find More Posts by cheshire
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
I have no experience of jets, but one of the things I have used for "difficult" shapes, is to have a reflective surface (like reflective tape) on the top surface. Works better (for me anyway) than a contrasting "colour". Not sure if you are referring to scale, which might be an issue, but thought I would throw it out there.
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old May 24, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
Thanks.. Yup its a scale. Sometimes need to ask my friend its top or bottom hahaha. Sometimes i just play abit with the elevator but when its far its kinda difficult especially when it move toward you. Its F22 raptor, best of all i just read at wiki, the real raptor is designed to be less visible to the naked eye.. Its really working hehehe
Old May 24, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Very simple, don't fly too far away!, J.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old May 25, 2013, 06:47 AM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
Im noob with jet.. In a shortime its already far away hehe.. When its really high and almost on top of me also make me confused kekeke..
Old May 25, 2013, 08:05 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Everyone gets disoriented once in a while. But.. that's why... in the USA... we are supposed to fly turbines with the help of a spotter.

Also... if you have a problem with top/bottom... then don't do anything to dumb close to the ground.

I find that, with my jets... I don't get disoriented very easy. I do big, smooth maneuvers, and it's easy to keep track.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old May 25, 2013, 07:32 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
924 Posts
When did you last have your eyes checked?

Not trying to be funny, if you need contacts/glasses it doesn't matter what gyro or colour you paint it.

If you are already a wearer of glasses it might be time for a new prescription. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old May 28, 2013, 02:56 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,827 Posts
If you loose orientation you are flying beyond your capabilities. Fly closer and slower, no paint or LED lights will ever compensate for flying beyond the capabilities.

I fly small and fast planes, but I fly within my personal limits and never ever loose it. Derry turns or other unexpected manovers might loose the audience's eyes but as I know where I'm aiming it and fly within my limits I'm still 110% on top of it

I use my spotter to keep the runway free and to warn me about obsicles, never to fly the plane
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old May 28, 2013, 08:33 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,871 Posts
I also have a raptor and I know I need glasses but still don't have them

I painted mine with metallic paint like the real one and I find its VERY hard to see early in the morning and late in the day. The paint is very reflective and the morning sun makes it very tough to see. Like others have said fly closer. The F22 has a huge tail so use that to your advantage.

I like to fly mine very fast and low and when I am lining up for a low pass down the runway the plane can be very hard to see coming straight at you. So try and stay away from flying the plane at you from a long distance.

A semi scale paint job will help also. But I am a scale nut and had to go with metallic.

What kind of F22 do you have?
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd
Old May 28, 2013, 09:33 AM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
Very nice bird there. I have the same color scheme as you. I bought it from my friend using jetcat turbine. Im Thinking of converting it to edf. Yeah hard to see when the plane move toward me or on top of me. Ill try to use the tail as an advantage hehe. Upload me some of your video flying. I love scale plane including scale rc heli. Thinking of buying scale ah64 apache 600 size..
Old May 28, 2013, 10:24 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshire View Post
Very nice bird there. I have the same color scheme as you. I bought it from my friend using jetcat turbine. Im Thinking of converting it to edf. Yeah hard to see when the plane move toward me or on top of me. Ill try to use the tail as an advantage hehe. Upload me some of your video flying. I love scale plane including scale rc heli. Thinking of buying scale ah64 apache 600 size..
What make is your F22?
Mine is a yellow.

Here is some video. Its mild flying because its a scale contest with called out maneuvers but still decent video. A thrust vectoring loop near the end also.

F-22 Raptor Scale RC Jet Engine - FAST! (5 min 16 sec)

And another some one got of me messing around in a big crosswind.

f-22 turbine RC Jet (11 min 49 sec)

These vids are with a 120 size turbine. I now have a kingtech 170 in it. Will get some video of it soon with the big motor.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
I dont know what make is mine since i bought it used from expatriate. But im suspecting its from China. I cant find any brand or emblem within the fuselage. Built quality is ok but not top notch. This is the first turbine i have, and yes im not enjoying the flight hahaha. Make me worried alot, not only things around me but the cost also if its crash. Im jealous how you fly your bird.. Seriously... Very nice..
Old May 28, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
Whats the cost for the yellow? I bought mine cheap... . He said take it before he change his mind.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:48 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Whats the cost for the yellow? I bought mine cheap... . He said take it before he change his mind.
The yellow is about $1200 for the airframe. But then you need to buy the gear tanks and pipe. Think about 2000 for everything. But its a kit so a little more work then the ARFS out their. But all the bulkheads are preinstalled so its more like an unpainted ARF.

Its by far the best scale F22 on the market.

Post a pic of your F22. I could probably tell you what it is.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:49 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,871 Posts
Quote:
I dont know what make is mine since i bought it used from expatriate. But im suspecting its from China. I cant find any brand or emblem within the fuselage. Built quality is ok but not top notch. This is the first turbine i have, and yes im not enjoying the flight hahaha. Make me worried alot, not only things around me but the cost also if its crash. Im jealous how you fly your bird.. Seriously... Very nice..
Thanks for the complements.