SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Discussion
My Brodak P40 ARF Leaked Fuel/Oil And Lifted The

"chinese monocoat" around the engine tank and fuselage forward of the leading edge. I wasn't too impressed when I first saw my P40 ARF and figured plastic covering would not stand up to runnning engines, friction from fuel tanks. Traditionally of course, we plastic covered the wing and doped the fuselage with an extra 2 or 3 more coats of dope around the engine bearers, tank etc. Perhaps Ken is right and the fact that I'm running 25% oil caused this lifting on a Brodak P40 ARF? Pealing off the mono coat forward of the LE then doping or painting exposed wood appears to be mandatory. Am I wrong? And do most use that 2 aluminum bar Brodak engine mounting hardware? That appeared a PITA to me and wouldn't allow me to use a short ST NV. so I used my long NV and ruined it the first time I landed inverted. Now I've bolted the engine to the fuselage conventionaly and can use a shortened NV. What am I missing here?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:16 AM
Tok Alaska
Joined Aug 2005
156 Posts
bad covering

If it were my airplane I would strip all that crap odd red with silk sig coverall or coverite even better silkspan.
Soak out all the residue sand and seal then put some fuel proof epoxy and paint.
I only ever bought 1 arf just to see what the quality was and I felt it was horrid the plastic cover was wrinkled so bad that I couldnt iorn it out had to replace I am glad it was only a 75.00 Glider
northernlightsfl is offline Find More Posts by northernlightsfl
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:28 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
tigreflyer,

Sorry you had a problem. I am very interested in how you resolve it, sir.

northernlightsfl,

What would you use to soak the oil out? In the old days, I used Texize "K2R" spot remover. That would pull the old oil/fuel right out, but I can't get it anymore.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:06 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
869 Posts
Check with your local Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
tigreflyer,

Sorry you had a problem. I am very interested in how you resolve it, sir.

northernlightsfl,

What would you use to soak the oil out? In the old days, I used Texize "K2R" spot remover. That would pull the old oil/fuel right out, but I can't get it anymore.
It's still in production:

http://www.k2rbrands.com/
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:14 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
Again, Kiwi, you are a wealth of information.

I wonder if you just can't get it in California, or I have been looking in the wrong places.

I'm going to check out Ace Hardware.

Thank you!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:01 AM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,072 Posts
I noticed on the Pathfinder I bought from Jed k. that he had painted all the monokote seams with what looks like epoxy. Seems like a good idea.

I think the formula on K2R is not the same as before. The good stuff had a chlorinated solvent. Now it has acetone. You can try acetone and corn starch or if you have an old can of contact cleaner/electric race car motor cleaner with trichlorethy whatever that should help clean up the oil.
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:14 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,379 Posts
I've flown a few ARF's over the last 4 years and the plastic film over bare wood can be a problem if not prepared.
What I do is iron all wrinkles and seal all edges of film with clear polyurethane applied with a small modeling brush. Once I figure out how the engine and tank are mounted and drill and install all of the hardware, I remove it all and epoxy coat all bare wood. Once all of this is done they seem to last a lot longer and after a period of time I clean and recoat before rubbing through the protective coatings.
My son's profile was using a Fox 35 and plenty of oil was used. I have three R/C full fuselage jobs that have lasted three seasons and one has 1000 flights on it with this scheme and proper maintenance has kept the film stuck. I use 22% oil in my OS Pattern engines so it's a gooey mess to clean too.
Epoxy paint on a C/L model's fuselage with film wing and tail is optimal but doing it when the model is new is best.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Stunt: What oil mixture should I use in my OS Max S 35? I'm thinking 25% with 1/2 castor and 1/2 Klotz would be ideal. If I could drop my oil content to 22%, that might be better. I got my K2R at Ace Hardware, here in S Ca. I followed the sage advice of Eric Rule and pealed back all of the chinese monocoat untill I got to dry wood, treated with K2R, then sprayed with Rustoleum.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
White mountains AZ.
Joined Jul 2004
223 Posts
oil removel

In the old days I would soak the wood in White gas it would leave the wood like new. I just finished an ARES with Rustoleum it sticks good to Money coat so all the trim is rustolum and no problem.
The fus was covered with 3/4 oz glass and added 3 coats of Rustoleum white primer and sanded till smooth then wet sanded with 600 wet and dry smooth as glass then 2 costs of white rustolum. The final was rubbed out with Colgate tooth past. came out like a mirror.

Sonny
Mapco is offline Find More Posts by Mapco
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:55 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Stunt: What oil mixture should I use in my OS Max S 35? I'm thinking 25% with 1/2 castor and 1/2 Klotz would be ideal. If I could drop my oil content to 22%, that might be better. I got my K2R at Ace Hardware, here in S Ca. I followed the sage advice of Eric Rule and pealed back all of the chinese monocoat untill I got to dry wood, treated with K2R, then sprayed with Rustoleum.
Hi Tigreflyer,
Good idea on the paint.
The OS 35 Max S? 24 to 25% oil is fine, less than 24% is not advisable in my mind.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
Hi Tigreflyer,
Good idea on the paint.
The OS 35 Max S? 24 to 25% oil is fine, less than 24% is not advisable in my mind.
Chris...
Do you ever fly at Whitter Narrows on Saturdays or Sundays?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:24 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
It's still in production:

http://www.k2rbrands.com/
Have not researched but I seem to recall something about the K2R being different now, different chemicals or something and not as good as it once was. Anyone else remember this or am I making it up lol which could be true?

On a side note, I've been told that you can treak oil soaked wood with Balsarite and the film coverings will stick.
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
K2R still works just fine.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:36 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,227 Posts
That is good to know. I still have a damaged plane that was given to me only to discover that it has a significant amount of oil soaked wood in the wings. I'll give K2R a try. Thanks for the info.
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:29 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,131 Posts
MONOCOTE .thats the brand name.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04