HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:16 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
709 Posts
Help!
Any capable drafters or SketchUp experts out there??

Hey Guys,

I am currently designing and building two FPV rigs. One of the two uses a TBS Discovery and it is altogether another topic.

For this project, I am attempting to build something from scratch that was inspired by the Shrediquette Bolt. I am calling it the "Ace of Spades" because it kind of resembles a Spade.

This aircraft will be focused on flying in confined spaces (forest shots, inside buildings, etc), and will be an X8 configuration using Turnigy Park 250 2050 motors.

Another RCG member, tech69x (Mike) has generously agreed to do the cutting on this frame from G10 material with his new CNC router.

To let him do that, however, I have to draft something in a program like SketchUp. Well, after a few days of trying, I give up (for now). I will take a class in drafting some day but I have a deadline for this project: I am heading to Hawaii on 2/20/13 and I would like to take this build with me.

Anyway, I was planning to make the design open source anyway so I was wondering if any of you could jump in to help do the drafting if you know how to use SketchUp (or comparable) proficiently?

I would expect for there to be comments and design changes, but I think that this design might be useful.

I have attached my (horrible) concept sketch. Hope it makes sense.

Thanks,

Matt
mcashatt is offline Find More Posts by mcashatt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SkullCopter Labs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:22 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Here is a quick drawing along those lines. Just a quick sketch for thought. Helps to have a rough "3D" representation to visualize and make any concept adjustments.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined May 2012
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
Here is a quick drawing along those lines. Just a quick sketch for thought. Helps to have a rough "3D" representation to visualize and make any concept adjustments.
THAT'S IT!!! Nice work Eric, THANKS!!

Now, what are your actual thoughts as to it's efficacy as a FPV aircraft?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:26 PM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
I don't get it.
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcashatt View Post
THAT'S IT!!! Nice work Eric, THANKS!!

Now, what are your actual thoughts as to it's efficacy as a FPV aircraft?
It will work as an FPV ship. I think it needs some adjustments. I will draw a few things up and you can look at them and see what you think.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined May 2012
709 Posts
Quote:
It will work as an FPV ship. I think it needs some adjustments. I will draw a few things up and you can look at them and see what you think.
Awesome--thanks Eric!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined May 2012
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilektron View Post
I don't get it.
Are you lost?

I think you meant to go here.

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Ship? As in boat? A flying octo-boat? ... Release the Kraken!
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined May 2012
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilektron View Post
Ship? As in boat? A flying octo-boat? ... Release the Kraken!
Ha ha--That's my next project--an amphibious octo-kraken!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined May 2012
709 Posts
Quote:
I am still amazed that you drew this so quickly!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:03 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Im thinking something like this may work out better.

Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:19 AM
Joined May 2012
709 Posts
Quote:
Im thinking something like this may work out better.

You bet! Definitely more compact which is a big plus.

Two questions:

1) Where would you suggest mounting the 2-axis gimbal for the GoPro? In my crappy sketch I did I just assumed you would need to use those CF tubes to tie the frame together and since they would extend out in front, you could just hang the gimbal from them (a la xaircraft).

2) Does this leave enough room for all of the various Rx, Vtx, gps, fc, Lipo, etc? If push comes to shove, the GPS could be taken away as it is much less necessary for the purpose of this particular frame (most filming would be in dense/covered areas anyway).

Really nice work Eric!! Now it reminds me of something Chinese for some reason. Like Chinese architecture or even a Chinese letter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:25 AM
Joined May 2012
709 Posts
I think I can answer my own question for #2: Yes. Put FC in middle, LiPo below bottom plate, Vtx and Rx on top.

Thanks again!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:51 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcashatt View Post
I think I can answer my own question for #2: Yes. Put FC in middle, LiPo below bottom plate, Vtx and Rx on top.

Thanks again!
Ahh, didnt know you wanted to put a gopro gimbal. May have to reconsider a few things.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:04 AM
Joined May 2012
709 Posts
Quote:
Ahh, didnt know you wanted to put a gopro gimbal. May have to reconsider a few things.
Yeah, I should have been more clear about my goal. FPV, in this case, is a means to an end. The end being I want to get some great shots of things that you wouldn't otherwise get. For example, when I head to Hawaii with my family in a few weeks, I would love to get some shots of flying in and out of palm trees, through a lava tube, around lava formations, etc. It is a lofty goal, but if I can pull it off it should be some amazing stuff.

I actually have two GoPros and the 3D kit, so I was thinking about putting that on a gimbal, but didn't want to overwhelm your design with frivolous requests.

One other thought I had was that, given the purpose of this aircraft, it may be good to have that top and bottom plate extend out a little past the edge of the props so that they can handle the occasional bump into a wall, tree limb, etc. I am not sure the exact dimension of the props, but I wouldn't likely use anything larger than 6". Therefore, if the plate extended out in about a 3-4" radius from the center of the motor then it should protect the props. Do you agree?
RCG Plus Member