SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:50 AM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,216 Posts
Idea
FY-21AP/FY-31AP and OSD FY Extender

Hey guys,

one of the key features that this combo (autopilot and osd) is missing is RSSI monitor and there is no easy way to solve it. One of the options is to overlay info from another OSD such as Super Simple Mini OSD but you can't turn that overlay on/off and OSD's are overlaying each other.

So, to solve this I'm planning to create more elegant solution for this which could also be used to attach additional sensors such as pitot tube and use existing OSD to display the info on screen (instead of some other unused info) and the same board is going to be used for telemetry purposes and antenna tracking.

Idea is to use Arduino Mega 2560 (or similar board with multiple UARTs) which will be placed between FY-21AP/FY-31AP, OSD and the rest of the equipment.
The same board is going to be used as audio modem to relay telemetry data to ground.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

UPDATE1: Successfully decoding information sent from FY-21AP II and feeding AP117.
hefest is online now Find More Posts by hefest
Last edited by hefest; Nov 05, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:10 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2009
132 Posts
Having true airspeed would be cool.
julie32 is offline Find More Posts by julie32
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:31 AM
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
645 Posts
Very cool idea. Do it!
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:51 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
You can get an RSSI input into the hornet by replacing the voltage sense wire from the current sensor (red) with the RSSI input voltage. Then Veng will be RSSI and Vav will tell you your flight pack voltage.

also the hornet uses an ARM processor, maybe you could reprogram that?
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:51 PM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post
You can get an RSSI input into the hornet by replacing the voltage sense wire from the current sensor (red) with the RSSI input voltage. Then Veng will be RSSI and Vav will tell you your flight pack voltage.

also the hornet uses an ARM processor, maybe you could reprogram that?
Good idea, if you use one 3S unregulater pack to power it all.
In my case I'm powering motor with 4S and onboard electronics with regulated 12V.
Switching to Remzibi OSD could solve the RSSI issue but my intention is to use the same circuitry to extract telemetry data from FY-21AP and send it via audio to the ground. One more possible option is to use this board as PPM sum "gateway" to simplify wiring to the RC RX.

So far I've successfully decoded data coming from FY-21AP.
Last edited by hefest; Nov 05, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
I use 4S too, but power the hornet from the 3S balance tap to get an idea of my pack voltage. You can power the Hornet with 4S, but there is an internal 6V linear regulator that gets very hot so needs lots of airflow. I have been thinking about moving the 6V regulator outside the case and heatsinking it so powering the hornet from 4S is safely achieveable.

What information is contained in the fy31 - hornet serial feed?
Good work though, I like your idea. Will be interesting to see what you can do with the data.
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:45 PM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post
What information is contained in the fy31 - hornet serial feed?
I'm testing this with FY-21AP II and AP117 OSD but I think that information passed trough did not change with FY-31 and Hornet.
Voltages and current information (both) are not passed via serial because those are connected directly to AP117.
Useful is GPS data which could be used for telemetry and I'm planning to periodically substitute temperature and/or satellite information with RSSI and/or airspeed.