SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
Quick question about shipping. I checked out wattaplane site and guess they don't ship to the US, unfortunately. Signed up on bestvaluerc site and really love the planes they have for sale. I saw two shipping options available. One pretty expensive one and a cheaper option to ship. What's the differance between the two? How long should I expect to wait for a delivery to california? Thanks.
totaldoughnut is offline Find More Posts by totaldoughnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:13 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I got a shipping quote from Wattaplane some weeks back so I think they will ship to the U.S. but it is NOT cheap.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:24 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
691 Posts
The difference between the 2 is HK Large parcel service is regular mail, and the EMS service is supposed to be like Priority Mail. I ordered the 48" hokusei Sbach recently and received it in New York in 7 days with the EMS shipping option. If you use the extra packaging option, remember that it adds weight and will drive up your shipping costs.
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
691 Posts
BTW, there is a notice on best values web site that from Sept. 30 to Oct. 7 there are national holidays in China, that might cause a delay in shipping.
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:29 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm making slow progress on my kit. I've had too many other things taking up my time over the past week, so this plane hasn't been getting much of my time. I just installed my servos tonight, but I haven't done my horns or pushrods yet.

I'm planning to use the following gear:

- Scorpion 3020-890 motor
- APC 13x6.5E prop
- Turnigy Plush 40A or 60A ESC
- Turnigy 2216MG servos (a.k.a. Power HD 2216 MG).
- Turnigy 3S2200 40C lipos

I may also play around with an APC 14x7E prop and Turnigy 3S2650 40c lipos to see how it goes.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
640 Posts
Groovejet, do you feel the quality/performance of the Scorpion motor justifies the cost (as compared to HK motors)?
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Having used scorpion motors, in helicopters and planes, and also a few HK motors, the quality and performance of the scorpion are much better if you tend to push the motor hard and like to fly back to back.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
how mch will this plane cost for western customers?

cheers
Pete
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:38 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringdreamer View Post
Groovejet, do you feel the quality/performance of the Scorpion motor justifies the cost (as compared to HK motors)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Having used scorpion motors, in helicopters and planes, and also a few HK motors, the quality and performance of the scorpion are much better if you tend to push the motor hard and like to fly back to back.
Good answer, chopper62. You've summed it up very well .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,412 Posts
Ooh that's nice! I do not need one.

Wait... Yes I do.

No! I really don't.

Arrrgh! Too many planes.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldoughnut View Post
Quick question about shipping. I checked out wattaplane site and guess they don't ship to the US, unfortunately. Signed up on bestvaluerc site and really love the planes they have for sale. I saw two shipping options available. One pretty expensive one and a cheaper option to ship. What's the differance between the two? How long should I expect to wait for a delivery to california? Thanks.
The China EMS used to be a good choice, but they started to charge on the basis of actual weight or dimensional weight, whichever is greater, in August. This has made shipping model plane kits 2 times or more as expensive as before.

If you are not in a particular hurry, Hong Kong Post's Large Parcel Service is now a better choice.

Regards,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,258 Posts
Maiden Flight Report

Hi guys,

I've maidened a prototype of the 48" Wattaplane Edge today. Wow, what a plane! This is the best plane that I have ever flown! It exceeded my expectation!

VR Eyedoc, who owned a 48" balsa 3DHS Edge, also had a chance to fly the plane today. He said the Wattaplane Edge was a much easier plane to fly than the 3DHS one.

The plane flew flawlessly after just a bit trimming during its very first flight. The CG position makes the plance slightly nose heavy, which is just perfect for me. There is space at both ends of the battery pack and therefore you can easiy adjust the CG in both directions if so inclined. The plane harriers without wing rocking. It can do slow flat spins like a giant plane. Knife edge is dead straight without any input. Knife edge spin entry is easy with this plane.

My power set-up is a Hengli W3542 KV850 motor with a DualSky 45A ESC and a 45C 2200 mAh lipo pack.The prop used is a 14x6 JXF wood one, which is essentially the same as a XOAR equivalent. After 4.5 minutes flight, the motor and the lipo pack are just a bit warm and the voltage drops to 3.8v or so. The maximum amp draw could be more than 42A, but such a draw won't last more than a second. The maximum amp draw is practically 41A and the plane hovers at around 16A.

I'll post some videos later.

Cheers,

feda

P.s., the magnets that pull the 2 wing halves together with the fuselage are so strong that I was afraid of damage the airframe when I tried to pull the wing off the fuselage. No worries about this method to secure the wing.
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:47 AM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Thanks for sharing the maiden flight report feda. Can't wait to hear more about this awesome plane.
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
534 Posts
thanks Feda for letting me fly this amazing airplane! I totally agree with your comments. and I would like to add that this is the most stable and most good looking 3D fomie ever! the unique hybrid construction brings together the goodness of EPP and Balsa, it's as floaty and easy to handle as any 3D fomies, and the presentation in the air is just like a scale balsa airplane. most importantly, it flys EXTREMELY well. I felt I was cheating when I 3D with it. and the magnets were so strong, it was futile to try spining them off with my most violent KE spins and blenders.

What I don't like about these airplanes? absolutly nothing!
VR Eyedoc is online now Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Last edited by VR Eyedoc; Sep 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
46 Posts
so how much will this airframe cost?
BLAZE WON is offline Find More Posts by BLAZE WON