HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,811 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 9 channel radio will have an external module port. I know the 12 and 16 will.

At a time when many radio makers are getting rid of modules, FrSky is going out of their way to include them in the new radios even though their RF will be internal.

They have reasons for this.. but we don't want to let all of the cats out of the bag, do we?

FrSky is 2 steps ahead of the competition.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Even if the 3 knobs in the center are too close, you still have 2 digital trims above the gimbals, and the sliders on the sides. So you have a choice 7 different variables! This should meet everyone's needs.
Still not a reason to keep 3 unuseable knobs in the middle when you could simply space them a bit more, is it?
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Joined Oct 2011
147 Posts
I'm not sure hidden antenna is good idea. For example mentioned jeti ds-16 is delayed, because they had to add second antenna because of signal problems. And they have 100mW power compared to 60mW FrSky has. On the other hand, antenna as a handle (as jeti dc-16 has) could be usable.

PS: Jeti has aluminium case, so if this is plastic, there should be less problems, but anyway...
mihlit is offline Find More Posts by mihlit
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the 9 channel radio will have an external module port. I know the 12 and 16 will.

At a time when many radio makers are getting rid of modules, FrSky is going out of their way to include them in the new radios even though their RF will be internal.

They have reasons for this.. but we don't want to let all of the cats out of the bag, do we?

FrSky is 2 steps ahead of the competition.

-Wayne
Wayne

I didn't mean NOT to use modules...in fact, I think it is a great option as you stated for additional expandability. It was just hard to tell if modules would be used at all especially with the 9d pic of the antenna out the top. I do, however like the ergonomics of an integrated antenna...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:35 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Still not a reason to keep 3 unuseable knobs in the middle when you could simply space them a bit more, is it?

I don't think they are unusable. I think you will find the 3 knobs are similar to the Futaba 9C (see attached). But as I stated, they will be refining the design a bit more. What looks great on screen, sometimes sucks in real life. It is always best to hold and play with a thing before locking in the design.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
106 Posts
Will the X9D be compatible with futaba FASST receivers ?
DoctorX is offline Find More Posts by DoctorX
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
No comments on what the LCD screen says?
The RSK 0715 part? Maybe Radioshack as a retailer in the US? That would be awesome!

What OS does it run? Will any of the er9x/open9x run on it?
rcdw is offline Find More Posts by rcdw
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorX View Post
Will the X9D be compatible with futaba FASST receivers ?
If you plug a FASST module in the back slot, then yes
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
the 9XD looks cheap plastic at this silver color,
should be darked, it looks like a toy, like the kingmax.

the x12D looks much better, but seems very heavy, fat, big and cockeyed,
there is too much frame margin over the gimballs,
also looks much more expensive than the 150$ people was talking about.

i had a jr8103 radio and is a not comfortable at all change the settings because you must think continously where each button is, FlySky did a much better job in their cheap radio using a cross keypad, is make sense when you need to deal in a selection menu, so its not going to be very comfortable change settings in the 9xd.

the kingmax shell doesn't look in any way a good template to start with, but maybe i am wrong.
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:59 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,455 Posts
Wow I go away for a day and come back and pages of discussion to read through!
The x9d looks cheap but as long as the gimbals and switches are good and the price is right it'll do me I think!
The 12 looks a bit too big for my liking but I would like to hold one to see how it actually feels.
The x9d with a dsm2 module to fly my speky stuff would be good enough for me for now.
Still if the price is right I could get the x9d and then get the x12 or 16 later if I like how they feel.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
also looks much more expensive than the 150$ people was talking about.
I don't think people were ever talking about that kind of price for the X12D. I'd imagine that more for the X9D.
Or then it was at the very beginning, when frsky were talking of only one radio called "X12D", that was supposed to be what now is the X9D
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Jul 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Wow I go away for a day and come back and pages of discussion to read through!
The x9d looks cheap but as long as the gimbals and switches are good and the price is right it'll do me I think!
The 12 looks a bit too big for my liking but I would like to hold one to see how it actually feels.
The x9d with a dsm2 module to fly my speky stuff would be good enough for me for now.
Still if the price is right I could get the x9d and then get the x12 or 16 later if I like how they feel.
I am on my second er9x voice mod. I really like the first one , now working. Don't want to be without voice, ever. I will have the X9D because it should start farther along than the 9X and all the mods needed there. I will be able to follow along with the hacks of the X9D when they happen. That group of people is amazing. Sign me up. My needs are simple.
oldpal44 is offline Find More Posts by oldpal44
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,316 Posts
Hah, I knew when I checked this thread today and saw 4 new pages, that they had released pics!

I think the X9D looks pretty cheap, but I'm not in the market for it anyway. If it is inexpensive, but high quality, I don't think people will mind.

I love the look of the X12D. As I said, I'm willing to pay a high price for a nice radio. I do think the knobs are not layed out correctly. I hope they realize this when they play with the mockup.
R_Lefebvre is offline Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:23 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,531 Posts
as far as I know, they are following this thread, so by now I think they got the idea It would be nice that these pics are only to find out what people think and make small corrections.. in one of the photos above "no receiver connected" or something similar.. can I smell model match?
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,625 Posts
Is that pic of the X12D without gimbal sticks screwed in? So all we see is the stalks? That could be why folk are judging its proportions wrong.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Closed Thread