HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:45 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
An 11600kv motor is meant to be run on 1s, that's a pan car motor. You'll fry something if you run it on 3s, regardless of gearing and even on 2s I bet it'll end very badly. If you're going to run it on NIMH/NiCad packs, you'll need a 4 cell pack.

IMO, sell that motor and get something that's an appropriate kv for what you want.

Running 1s requires HIGH C 1s packs, as well as a 1s capable ESC and either a receiver pack to power the receiver/servos, or a voltage booster to increase the voltage from the pack to give enough voltage for the receiver/servo.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
An 11600kv motor is meant to be run on 1s, that's a pan car motor. You'll fry something if you run it on 3s, regardless of gearing and even on 2s I bet it'll end very badly. If you're going to run it on NIMH/NiCad packs, you'll need a 4 cell pack.

IMO, sell that motor and get something that's an appropriate kv for what you want.

Running 1s requires HIGH C 1s packs, as well as a 1s capable ESC and either a receiver pack to power the receiver/servos, or a voltage booster to increase the voltage from the pack to give enough voltage for the receiver/servo.
Crap I didnt know its a pan car motor....I see people on youtube running it on street cars so i thought it might be a regular motor.

I'm going to try it on a 6cell nimh but with voltage dropped to 6.0 or even lower...and as far as the gearing go i'll probably use like a 12 turn pinion with a 86 turn spur.

if it doesnt end well oh well.

but if I do decide to fall in line and not try this which motor do you suggest i get if I want my rustler to go around 75mph+?

I've got a ezrun 6000kv, a CC 4pole 4600kv. Both are 3s capable. running 3s CC gets warm at even 26/86. ezrun gets warm at 18/86.

I'm looking at a Tekin redline sc4x 5.5.....are those good for rustler and over powering and over gearing? lol

*EDIT*

So you honestly dont think there is a slight chance of everything functioning properly if I run it on 2s with extreme gear-down?
jsarwar469 is offline Find More Posts by jsarwar469
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:39 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
I agree with parsons, that motor is way too much for the rustler. As far as the tekin motor goes, you'll need a high amp esc to go with it
kistner is offline Find More Posts by kistner
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kistner View Post
I agree with parsons, that motor is way too much for the rustler. As far as the tekin motor goes, you'll need a high amp esc to go with it
is 80 amp too little for the tekin motor?
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Ran the rustler today with the ezrun 6000kv motor with 3s......geared at 18/86 and i got a max reading of 53mph with some off road tires. after about 7 laps back and forth the motor and the esc is not even warm.....well maybe because it was 1am...lol. I'm gonna try to dig up for a slightly larger pinion and put some street tires on and see test out again.

Still havent tried the CC 4pole 4600kv I think that one might be faster with 26/86 and 3s w/ street tires. i'm liking this! cant wait to pick up the tekin sc4x,,,,or a LRP vector 6.5 or something.

Im just buying random motors that seem good in specs and name brand to go for top speeds without having to break the bank....what do you guys suggest which motor should I look at if i want to stick to 3s...and get 80 mph?

*EDIT*

I'm trying to choose between the Tekin Redline 6.5 sensored (6.5 Turns, 6700kv, 404 watts, 12.5mm rotor) and Tekin SC4X (4.5T, 4800Kv, 900 Watts, 12.5mm rotor)

which one to get if I want to gear high??? I'm going for top speed, torque is not the main priority....but i also understand with a lower kv motor i'm able to run a bigger battery and bigger gears.
Last edited by jsarwar469; Jul 07, 2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:16 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
For a rustler I'd go with the 6.5 and some on road tires. The other motor may be more powerful, but you won't need it for a rustler
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
For a rustler I'd go with the 6.5 and some on road tires. The other motor may be more powerful, but you won't need it for a rustler
gotcha!

the sc4x a local guy selling me one for 42 so I might just buy both and try them out.

So on the way back from my class I picked up some custom gearing for the rustler....picked up a 62T 32pitch spur and a 22T pinion and I just ran it like 10 minutes ago with the castle creations 4pole 4600kv motor with 3s lipo and Im not very happy with the results.....the CC 4pole IS more torqy but the cheap ezrun 6000kv motor actually feels faster (top speed) with much higher gearing (86/26).
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:49 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
if your goal is insane speed with hot motors you might want to consider the castle mmp esc. it'll handle your 3s batteries and these high kv, low turn motors without breaking a sweat. sensored or un. and if something happens, castle has a real warranty.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:29 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
If you want 75mph, get used to SHORT runs. I mean a few passes, then let it cool down.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
if your goal is insane speed with hot motors you might want to consider the castle mmp esc. it'll handle your 3s batteries and these high kv, low turn motors without breaking a sweat. sensored or un. and if something happens, castle has a real warranty.
Sort of took your advise and got myself a MMP esc....
But I remember reading somehwere in forums that MMP is only 65amp constant and a 100amp burst so I never really saw the point of buying one when 120 amp esc's are like half the price. but got one anyways only because i got lucky and got one used for a good price.

Now as far as the motor goes I'm thinking about a few setups...

1 - Either run a Castle Creations CM36 9000kv 3s capable motor with regular gearing and run it on 3s (youtube has some videos people getting over 80mph easy on street cars and a t4 truck). I dont want to deal with heat and letting it cool down and stuff. I mean if a motor is 9000kv and it IS 3s capable pushing 80mph with stock gearing why will it over heat after a pass or two? I'm not pushing its limits or anything.

2 - Or get a Tacon 4074 (2000 - 2100kv) or a 4465 (2400 - 2600kv) 1/8th scale motor and gear it to the sky! both are 5s capable. (I still have to make sure these motors will fit in a rustler....i'm sure they will i'll b running a much smaller spur gear from another vehicle...some guy on youtube revealed the setup in his rustler and Im gonna try do same. kind of a how to video).

I'm also picking up some foam tires.

What you guys think?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:28 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
Have fun. Weakest link is still the 9000kv motor imo. It might be OK, but a fan on it wouldn't hurt.

Mmp rated to 6s, you should be good on that end.

Not sure if the big motors will fit or not.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:25 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarwar469 View Post
1 - Either run a Castle Creations CM36 9000kv 3s capable motor with regular gearing and run it on 3s (youtube has some videos people getting over 80mph easy on street cars and a t4 truck). I dont want to deal with heat and letting it cool down and stuff. I mean if a motor is 9000kv and it IS 3s capable pushing 80mph with stock gearing why will it over heat after a pass or two? I'm not pushing its limits or anything.

2 - Or get a Tacon 4074 (2000 - 2100kv) or a 4465 (2400 - 2600kv) 1/8th scale motor and gear it to the sky! both are 5s capable. (I still have to make sure these motors will fit in a rustler....i'm sure they will i'll b running a much smaller spur gear from another vehicle...some guy on youtube revealed the setup in his rustler and Im gonna try do same. kind of a how to video).

I'm also picking up some foam tires.

What you guys think?
You need to start looking at wattage requirements for the speeds you want, and not just high RPM's.

Just because a motor is rated to take the voltage of 3s, that only means it's ok when geared appropriately. Since that motor wasn't designed for your truck, the stock gearing means nothing to the motor voltage rating.

To get big speed, you need lots of watts, not just RPM at the wheels. From what I can find, that old CM36 9000kv motor was only meant for drag cars and the whole CM36 line has been discontinued and replaced by the 1406 motors.

Think of this analogy... a lotus elise is a fast car with 180hp, and the engine revs to almost 9000rpm. If you put that same engine in a full size pickup truck, it won't be nearly as fast because you'll need to gear it down a ton to not overheat or bog it down in the heavier vehicle.

If you're topping out in the 60mph range because of heat, putting a higher kv motor with the same wattage output isn't going to get you anywhere, you'll need a motor capable of more watts (watts = volts * amps) to get more speed and run cooler.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
I understand what you're saying. but when buying the motor I was thinking rustler is a 2 wheel drive truck and probably lighter than most of the trucks out there. and with some street tires I might be fine but I guess I'm wrong.

I need a quick advise! the castle neu 1415 2400kv....can it handle a rustler running a
36t spur and a <24t pinion on 3 - 4s lipo?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
The rustler is light for a truck, but compared to a touring car, pan car or drag car it's probably 2-3 times the weight. It's also a lot less aerodynamic so you need more power to push the same speed.

What is your end goal with the truck??

IMO, figure out what speed you want, then look at people that have achieved that and see what they're running. Guessing at random parts, and buying things just because it's a good deal won't get you to where you want to be.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Guessing at random parts, and buying things just because it's a good deal won't get you to where you want to be.
Except it will lighting the wallet.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx