SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:56 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Those are great Don! Would love to make one of those!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
A few hours work and it is nearly ready, Electric and throttle control, should be interesting!
boomerang is offline Find More Posts by boomerang
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:30 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,785 Posts
Only throttle control.............No up,down, left & right
Happy Landings
Chris..........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:09 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Looks great Mick! I want to go electric on mine but I'm having too much fun with the .049 . The sound is awesome as it disappears into the sky.

Just make sure the balance is correct and -5 degrees on the stab. My motor is level or maybe 1degree positive to the blade.

I had some great flights with mine this weekend. Very little wind so it went straight up. I had a 53 second hang time from engine off to touchdown. It landed less than 150 feet from launch site!

Good luck with yours!

DC
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:37 PM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
Hi Chris, I will possibly have up and down with thottle control but most of the fun will be dodging it. It should clear the field nicely ready for the next Autogyro sortie!!!

DC,

Thanks for the advice, I have built it to the plan but with modern materials, I needed the throttle control for safety reasons and save the possible long walks. I will keep you posted if the weather improves. Mick.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:04 PM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
Finally managed to have a go today, 2 flights but not very impressive, she is a bit overweight with the electric set up, she spun very fast and couldn't gain much hight.

I am going to go with the COX 010 set up next. If anyone has one for sale then please let me know.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
990 Posts
Built a big version do you think it will lift me
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockadopolus View Post
Built a big version do you think it will lift me
I think I figured out what to do with my G-62!
You sure know how to find 'em Joe! I'd love to see te video of that one!

Don
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:38 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Probably safer where they have snow! You better build it and fly it here in Nebraska Don!

Good to see you out here Don!
Other Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:56 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Thanks Joe. There's a lot of "life" happening here and this forum is getting to be my only contact with all my friends. I enjoy watching what's happening. It keeps me sane. (relatively)
Don
Old Apr 06, 2013, 06:33 AM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,468 Posts
Hi,
i could need some help with my recently built Charybdis. It does not fly. Spins like crazy sitting on a construction with an attached vertical pin in the garden, but does not show any tendency to climb. She's heavy with 430 gramms, which of 90 gramms are the 3s1000 lipo and 60 gramms are lead at the front of the center-stick. As far as i can judge, there should be more than enough power, so i think, that weight is not my first problem. Everything is built as per the plans around, except changes to the proportions. There seems to be something wrong with the aerodynamics. Any proposal what to change first to identify the problem?
Thanks
Stephan
StephanB is online now Find More Posts by StephanB
Old Apr 06, 2013, 10:25 AM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanB View Post
Hi,
i could need some help with my recently built Charybdis. It does not fly. Spins like crazy sitting on a construction with an attached vertical pin in the garden, but does not show any tendency to climb. She's heavy with 430 gramms, which of 90 gramms are the 3s1000 lipo and 60 gramms are lead at the front of the center-stick. As far as i can judge, there should be more than enough power, so i think, that weight is not my first problem. Everything is built as per the plans around, except changes to the proportions. There seems to be something wrong with the aerodynamics. Any proposal what to change first to identify the problem?
Thanks
Stephan
I guess the first thing to ask is what changes to the proportions did you make? It's hard to tell what settings you have by the pictures. It looks like your main blade is shorter inboard of the stabilizer than mine. My stabilizer is a little less than half the length of the main blade. Is your stabilizer set at -5 degrees to the main blade?
How is the balance? The cg should be about 1/4" ahead of the leading edge of the main blade. It looks like you have the battery quite far back. You may need to place it on or ahead of the pivot point. It should also balance left to right on the pivot point.
I hope this helps. Double check your balance and settings and let me know.

D
Old Apr 06, 2013, 12:00 PM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
I guess the first thing to ask is what changes to the proportions did you make? It's hard to tell what settings you have by the pictures. It looks like your main blade is shorter inboard of the stabilizer than mine. My stabilizer is a little less than half the length of the main blade. Is your stabilizer set at -5 degrees to the main blade?
How is the balance? The cg should be about 1/4" ahead of the leading edge of the main blade. It looks like you have the battery quite far back. You may need to place it on or ahead of the pivot point. It should also balance left to right on the pivot point.
I hope this helps. Double check your balance and settings and let me know.

D
Hi,
thanks for supporting me.
The main blade is 75 cm x 7cm and the stabilizer is 42 cm x 4,5 cm. Stabilizer is set up at -6 degrees. Balance left to right is at the pivot point, but c/g is much more Forward compared to your 1/4", about 2,5 cm ahead of the leading edge. I already thought about moving the batt to the front and replacing the lead with the batt, but there is one thing, that is strange: Right now the Charybdis is totally guided by the pin and it shows no tendency to climb. I already changed the direction of the tube in a way, that the main blade has positive angle of incidence when rotating around the pin. In this Situation, how can a wrong c/g become meaningfull? That should be an Problem when leaving the pin, but not during guided rotation. Am i wrong? I'am a Little bit confused.

regards
Stephan
StephanB is online now Find More Posts by StephanB
Old Apr 06, 2013, 12:10 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Here's the plan I used to construct my "Weed Whacker". I went 50% larger to accommodate the Cox .049. The main blade is a 36" Sig airfoil with 3" chord. The stabilizer is an Aerobalsa blade with 1-1/4" chord. I made a ply sandwich for the center plate out of 1/8" lite ply and added a 1/4" balsa block to extend the leading edge of the airfoil under the sandwich to hold the pivot point brass tubing.

D
Old Apr 06, 2013, 12:18 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanB View Post
Hi,
thanks for supporting me.
The main blade is 75 cm x 7cm and the stabilizer is 42 cm x 4,5 cm. Stabilizer is set up at -6 degrees. Balance left to right is at the pivot point, but c/g is much more Forward compared to your 1/4", about 2,5 cm ahead of the leading edge. I already thought about moving the batt to the front and replacing the lead with the batt, but there is one thing, that is strange: Right now the Charybdis is totally guided by the pin and it shows no tendency to climb. I already changed the direction of the tube in a way, that the main blade has positive angle of incidence when rotating around the pin. In this Situation, how can a wrong c/g become meaningfull? That should be an Problem when leaving the pin, but not during guided rotation. Am i wrong? I'am a Little bit confused.

regards
Stephan
WOW! I just looked at your pics a little more closely. It looks like your motor is facing the wrong way. Unless your have the motor running in reverse and prop is on correctly, it'll never fly that way. I would spin the motor around and face it opposite to the direction of the airfoil and give that a try.
BTW I misspoke, the cg is 1/4" ahead of the pivot point.
Hope this helps!

D