SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:22 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
I also added air duct in the nose for cooling the electronics.
Did you open a vent in the rear of the fuselage for air escape or do you think the existing openings will suffice?
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:24 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
Did you open a vent in the rear of the fuselage for air escape or do you think the existing openings will suffice?
I will add something. Maybe just a couple of pushrod guides in the rear to vent the air.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:55 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Cool off those ESC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I will add something. Maybe just a couple of pushrod guides in the rear to vent the air.
Will that be enough exhaust area? It seems like there is some formula that suggests the exhaust area should be twice the air intake area?
FWIW, I shaved off about 1/4" from the bottom of the canopy for an exhaust. What are your thoughts?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:36 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Will that be enough exhaust area? It seems like there is some formula that suggests the exhaust area should be twice the air intake area?
FWIW, I shaved off about 1/4" from the bottom of the canopy for an exhaust. What are your thoughts?
AJ
You don't know how big my pushrod guides are. That would help as well. I was simply thinking of a couple of holes in each side of the fuselage aft of the wing and reinforced with PVC tubing or equivalent. Think portholes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:04 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Dont think you have to create a hurricane inside the frame, so as long as you have some flow it should be ok.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Dont think you have to create a hurricane inside the frame, so as long as you have some flow it should be ok.
True, but you really just want air in and out. I have similar design on a scratchbuilt wing and the nose duct really cools the battery and ESC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:17 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
I tend to put intakes on top of the nose if possible.
On sand , dirt, wet grass landing you dont have to pick you nose :-) to clean it.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:20 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
Quote:
I tend to put intakes on top of the nose if possible.
On sand , dirt, wet grass landing you dont have to pick you nose :-) to clean it.
You are definitely not a candidate for a F86. It looks like a large mouth bass.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:27 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof100 View Post
you are definitely not a candidate for a f86. It looks like a large mouth bass. :d
yaykes
:-))
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
True, but you really just want air in and out. I have similar design on a scratchbuilt wing and the nose duct really cools the battery and ESC.
Prof,
I just picked up a sheet of those NACA ducts from Parkflyer Plastics. I believe you used these on one of your earlier builds. Am I to assume that you are going with the direct nose vent because the NACA ducts didn't cool quite well enough for you or are you just trying something different? I have been flying a V2 SkySurfer with a 30A ESC, 2200mAh Nanotech, and Turnigy 2835-2200 inrunner and the nose area definitely gets pretty warm inside there and my ESC is only pulling 19A at WOT with my APC 6x4EP prop, so I think even just a little air flow would help me keep things pretty cool.

Just curious if those NACA ducts are worth it or if you think I should try something different.

Thanks!
Stuart
studawg66 is offline Find More Posts by studawg66
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:15 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studawg66 View Post
Prof,
I just picked up a sheet of those NACA ducts from Parkflyer Plastics. I believe you used these on one of your earlier builds. Am I to assume that you are going with the direct nose vent because the NACA ducts didn't cool quite well enough for you or are you just trying something different? I have been flying a V2 SkySurfer with a 30A ESC, 2200mAh Nanotech, and Turnigy 2835-2200 inrunner and the nose area definitely gets pretty warm inside there and my ESC is only pulling 19A at WOT with my APC 6x4EP prop, so I think even just a little air flow would help me keep things pretty cool.

Just curious if those NACA ducts are worth it or if you think I should try something different.

Thanks!
Stuart
Stuart,

I like the NACA ducts but I just want to try something different this time. I have NACA ducts on my EDFs too (see Squall picture with Naca duct). There is another reason I went with the 3/4" round air inlet. If I decide to do any nightflying mods the 3/4" hole is a perfect place for a nice big bright LED headlight if I decide to add one later.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:32 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
oops
Last edited by nakelp86; Apr 18, 2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: oops double
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:36 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
I will make two nostrils from large straw and outlets by the motor pod.
here I had some on AXN from baby formula measure.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:53 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
Quote:
I will make two nostrils from large straw and outlets by the motor pod.
here I had some on AXN from baby formula measure.
I am wondering if those things sticking out are air scoops.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:05 PM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
180 Posts
My Sky Surfer Maiden :(

The weather was finally nice with very little wind so I decided to maiden my SS. I was going to film it but decided to concentrate more on a successul first flight.
I hand launched the plane and it flew OK for a few seconds but then it started to stall. Tried to correct it but ended up hitting the ground nose first. The nose scrunched up a little but it was fine. I decided to move the CG from 65mm to 60 mm. I checked all the controls and tried again. This time it flew a little but it kept wanting to turn right. It didn't seem to respond much to left aileron. Did a few circles and although the field was big enough to fly a real 747 it landed on top of a 30 foot tree at the edge of the field. Spent the whole evening getting it down. I got it back, the nose is slightly bent and the canopy doesn't fit well but its fixable. I just don't understand why it kept turning right. The CG is 60mm, the plane is balanced left to right, and all the control surfaces work well and are properly aligned. Well, I think its time to join a flying club for some help although I didn't really want to join.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer