HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
Fanboy
Joined Apr 2006
173 Posts
Rotormast V-22 Osprey is here

hootowl is online now Find More Posts by hootowl
Last edited by hootowl; Nov 13, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:13 PM
Fanboy
Joined Apr 2006
173 Posts
Progress

External control pot for conversion servos

Last edited by hootowl; Nov 13, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:40 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hootowl View Post
...External control pot for conversion servos...
Very coooooooooool!!!

Interesting how the pot is external for the conversion servo. I'd like to see how that goes together.

All the parts looks like they are top quality. If it flys as good as it looks, it should be a winner.

Thanks for sharing.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:54 AM
Fanboy
Joined Apr 2006
173 Posts
There are four bearings in bearing holders in each wing that the nacelle conversion arms ride in for rotation. You red locktite the bearing into the holder then epoxy the units into the wing. Later versions will have these pre-installed. Either way this is a step on the road to first flight for me.

Note the panel lines impressed into the wing surfaces.

Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:28 AM
Fanboy
Joined Apr 2006
173 Posts
Splicing in the capacitor onto the ESC.

Note capacitor polarity. Most caps have a stripe down the side indicating negative. Also the negative lead is usually shorter than the positive one.

You poke a hole through the insulation, I use a pointy exacto knife. Watch your fingers. Once the blade is through I spine it to spread the wires to help get the cap wire through.

Remove some insulation on the opposite side for soldering.

Use a needle nose to push the wire through and solder the back side.

I added the shrink on the cap leads. This was not in the instructions. I just don't like bare wire showing.

Last edited by hootowl; Nov 16, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:07 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hootowl View Post
Splicing in the capacitor onto the ESC...
Is the cap recommended by Rotormast or is it your own addition?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:51 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,129 Posts
It is recomended by Castle when going more than 12 " from the battery to the esc .. to stop DC electric ripple ... not sure how to explain that as it has been awhile since I talked with Joe ... but when the current travels to far it has a tendency to get out of cycle and cause the esc to think that it has lost power and reset .... I think ,,if i remember right ... at any rate is can cause a lot of trouble if you don't use more caps than CC puts on for just the 12 " they give you .
v22chap is online now Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
It is recomended by Castle when going more than 12 " from the battery to the esc .. to stop DC electric ripple ... not sure how to explain that as it has been awhile since I talked with Joe ... but when the current travels to far it has a tendency to get out of cycle and cause the esc to think that it has lost power and reset .... I think ,,if i remember right ... at any rate is can cause a lot of trouble if you don't use more caps than CC puts on for just the 12 " they give you .
That makes sense. Thanks.

Now when do we get to see your V22. Didn't think we forgot about you did ya.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2003
3,129 Posts
Sorry I kind of took over the other thread in the scale forum ... it has a few pictures and some bad videos of my first 2 flights .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1298204&page=6

I did a quick build to get flying ,,, as that was part of my agreement with Tom ... and I don't ever take enough time once I start building to take pictures the right way for a review .
I have had a few bad flying mishaps .. already ,, so I have already test crashed this bird 3 times .... so all of you will know how well it survives a crash ... and I am proud to report that it survives very well ,, just like Tom said it would .

All part of the job ,,, right Well someone has to see how it is going to hold up and this yr ,, this bird seems to be my turn

#1 First test of equipment outside in my yard and over on its nose it went . Seems I pushed the button to save the new config to the controller and my new laptop sensitivity on the touch pad is flaky ... (like me ) and it didn't save it to the device ,, and dummy me didn't even do a cyclic check like I usually do because the sun was going down and I wanted the bird flying before I went to bed . So since the save didn't happen ,, all controls were still at default setting ... ever try to fly a heli with the controls all reversed ... let alone a complicated one like this
No damage ,only to my pride ... and was totally my fault for trying to get it going so fast .

#2 at a park that I use to set up at ... as our flying field is 15 miles away and on the other side of town . So I fly out two sets of my new hyperion batteries and am having so much fun ... that I push it and pull out an old set of DN batteries and go right out and start more fun ... about 2.5 mins into the flight they start dying ... but the controller keeps the motors supplied equal and it stays level and flying ,,, and looks like I am going to be able to do a sliding landing and it is about ready to touch down ... 50 yds or so away ... WOOOOW the thing goes out of site ,,, below the ground level that I see as my landing site
Seems there is a 4' drop in the ground over there ...never knew it was there as it is close to a house and white picket fence and I usually stay away .. being new to an area ,, now I am going to walk the whole area before flying
Again not much damage ,, it hit level as I just held everything still ... but couldn't tell where the ground level was and it did touch down heavy ... and one wing spar broke . Which I glue back together with a plywood doubler scab and within a week of checking everything over I was back in the air .

This time I wait and pick a good day and go to the flying field for a lot of open space and get there late (about 3 or so as my wife had other ideas for that weekend at the other house we are trying to get ready to be sold ) The sun is getting low by now ,, so I can't fly east to west good ... so I go north to south which is not a problem at this field other than the east end has some big trees off the landing pattern over a corn field .

It flew and flew good ,, so good I was trying 80 and then 70 degree conversions on the first pack and then 70 and 60 degrees on the 2nd pack
1/2 way thru the second pack I was doing a 60 degree conversion and got wing wobble ... and Tom said I needed to check which way it was going and so I was concentrating on roll or pitch or yaw ... so I could remove a little sensitivity of that gyro and WHAM. BAMMMM . During this concentration I had flew over the corn field further than I had in the first pack and hit a 50 ' tree in the upper outer portion of its small limbs .. and it flung the V into the tree spraying parts all over and tumbling down the tree limb to limb like a tumble weed and hitting the ground ,,, upright yet ... but minus the right wing .
This is a little more damage than the 1st or 2nd crash ... but all I need is a new right wing , nacelle spindle mounting tubes ,, blades and collective push rods and one swash follower ... For what happened ... the bird survived very well . The profile fuse tail feathers broke off and one rudder ..but that can all be glued back on with epoxy and fiberglass tape reinforcement and it will be flyable again this weekend if the parts get here quick enough

Sorry for the long post ,,but I needed to get that off my chest
Now that the bird is not a virgin any longer , and you all have given me therapy for free , maybe I can get some good flights on this great little fun bird .
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:18 AM
Fanboy
Joined Apr 2006
173 Posts
Larry,

When you say 70 or 80 degrees do you mean almost fully airplane mode?

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2003
3,129 Posts
Mike
No,, full helicopter mode is considered 90 degrees and airplane mode is 0 degrees in the configurator and on the real bird too ... so I am only going the 10 degrees at a time like Tom suggests in his manual (true I am only spending about 2 flights per 10 degrees but have been flying this area for a long time on my own ) .. and I see why now as you have to fine tune the gyro sensitivity to each 10 degree increments in the configurator , so that you don't get the tail rotor over sensitive jiggle as you convert to airplane mode . He has them preset for his gyros ... but each gyro is a little different as are the air temps and such that effect a gyro in each of our own locations .

Larry
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:21 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
Sorry I kind of took over the other thread in the scale forum ... it has a few pictures and some bad videos of my first 2 flights .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1298204&page=6...
That's very cool. Missed that thread. It's great to see the step by step here and it flying in you vids!

Looks like it handles well. I still don't know how you guys land the thing without wide landing gear. i would of thought if the bottom of a pod hits the ground that the blades would hit the ground.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:26 PM
Joined Jan 2003
3,129 Posts
Quote:
I still don't know how you guys land the thing without wide landing gear. i would of thought if the bottom of a pod hits the ground that the blades would hit the ground.
Nope ... the nacelle frames are long enough that it barely tilts to one side or the other and as soon as the motor rpm comes up and the gyros take over it levels itself out and stays level . So landing gear are not really needed .. although retracts are in the future list of updates to the kit .

And it does handle really well ,,, I was jerking it around pretty hard in the first flights just getting use to it and seeing what it would and wouldn't do ,,,, and am LOVING IT
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:05 PM
Fanboy
Joined Apr 2006
173 Posts
Fuselage has arrived

Magnets and pins hold the front access portion very securely..

Last edited by hootowl; Nov 17, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:49 PM
Joined Jun 2010
549 Posts
prutey
bradleyK is offline Find More Posts by bradleyK