SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:06 AM
Joined Dec 2007
100 Posts
Help!
Newbie have questions about CX2 batteries and charging.

Hi All,

I hope I am posting this in the correct place. Tried to find this info on this site and had troube so I'm just gonna ask.

I just bought a blade cx2. This is my first RC heli so I don't know much at all about the hobby. My goal is to find a way to keep it flying without having to wait for battieries to charge. The key is, I am asking what is the best setup at the cheapest cost. I just placed a bid on ebay foolishly on DYN4060 before I found this forum. So I am not sure if I need 3 batteries and 1 charger or 1 good charger and 2 batteries.... I basically don't know squat and am here to learn.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!

James- adslparts
adslparts is offline Find More Posts by adslparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:12 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Your best bet is to have three to four packs. Your flight times should be around 8 to 10 minutes depending on how you run the throttle. But you should let the motors cool between uses they do get hot. The charger won't make difference because you can only charge the packs at .8 amps anyways so they'll all do it with the same charge time. Just as a note we should have our new CX/CX2 and Lama V4 packs in soon.

Jason
MaxAmps Marketing Manager
jason@maxamps.com
www.NitroKillers.com
www.MaxAmps.com
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:16 AM
Joined Dec 2007
100 Posts
Thanks for getting back so quick. So, there is no way to charge the stock eflite lipos any faster than the 2 hours the stock charger takes?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:21 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
If you by a different Li-Po charger than the stock one and charge at .8 amps you can have them charged right about around an hour or so. I use Hyperion chargers and I know that they don't take to long to charge. I'll put one on right now that I flew last night at .8 amps. I'll come back and post the time it takes to charge it.

Jason
jason@maxamps.com
www.NitroKillers.com
www.MaxAmps.com
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:28 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adslparts
Thanks for getting back so quick. So, there is no way to charge the stock eflite lipos any faster than the 2 hours the stock charger takes?
2 hours, mine only take about a hour. You must be running them way way down, witch is not really good for them. I have the Blade CX 2 myself. I have two packs, and I have to wait to fly back to back. 4 packs should get you where you won't have to wait to long.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:34 AM
Joined Dec 2007
100 Posts
Yea I did run it down quite a bit being I only have 1 battery. My brother has a cx2 also ( that's why I bought it, when you see one, you want one) he was telling me there is a charger that can charge the lipos in about 20 minutes but from what I am hearing, that is not true.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:50 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
he was telling me there is a charger that can charge the lipos in about 20 minutes but from what I am hearing, that is not true.
There are LiPoly chargers that can charger LiPolys in approx. 20 mins. by charging at 3C. These are either chargers used with balancers or with balancers built in. They are also stated to be used with LiPolys approved for charging at greater than 1C which in most cases just happens to be their brand.

The Thunder Power 1010C charger and TP 205V /210V Smart Balancers are one such combo and the FMA Cell Pro 4 is another.

One of the Sponsors here Common Sense RC recently announced that their LiPolys are now approved for up to 2C charging.

Post here shows charge times using TP combo

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=483

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
20 minutes isn't gonna happen with todays Li-Po's. Unless you want to destroy a little pack like these in a hurry.
I'm 30 minutes into my 2S 800 and it down to a rate of.4 amps at 8.39 volts. The last leg of the charge cycle is the longest.

Jason
jason@maxamps.com
www.NitroKillers.com
www.MaxAmps.com
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:55 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
We tested our packs a 2C also and if charged with a balancer is won't harm them in any way. but the time difference isn't that big between 2C and 1C.

Jason
jason@maxamps.com
www.NitroKillers.com
www.MaxAmps.com
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
One of the Sponsors here Common Sense RC recently announced that their LiPolys are now approved for up to 2C charging.
Is that for all of their lipos? I have a V2 800 2S pack from them but it's rated to only 8C discharge. 2C charge seems quick.

--

As mentioned above, best to let the motors cool for a good 10 min between flights anyway. They can get far too hot to touch with a finger after just one, so cooling time is a good idea.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=483

Quote:
The second set of tests was with the charger set to the FAST CHARGE mode.
1.0C, 65 minutes, high v 4.170, low v 4.165, 1916 MAH, 97.9%
2.0C, 34 minutes, high v 4.160, low v 4.155, 1893 MAH, 96.7%
3.0C, 24 minutes, high v 4.150, low v 4.146, 1879 MAH, 96.0%

96% state of charge in 24 minutes is close enough in my book.

Simple fact is that stopping charge at 90% will decrease charge times at 1C by approx. 30% and you only lose 10% flight time.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:57 AM
Joined Dec 2007
100 Posts
Man now my head is really spinning. Does anyone know how long it takes the Dynamyte DYN4060 to charge 7.4 lipo?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:24 AM
Joined Dec 2007
100 Posts
You guys have to remember you talking to someone who doesn't know the difference between a lipo and nicad Just looking for a charger that can charge quicker than the stock eflite charger and don't want to spend a bunch. That's why I was looking at the dynamite for 50.00.

Thanks Guys.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:34 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
And there you have it. 2S 800 charged at .8 amps and it took 69 minutes. Now to fix my landing gear after I hit the X-mas Tree last night.

Jason
jason@maxamps.com
www.NitroKillers.com
www.MaxAmps.com
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:37 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Like I said before they will all charge in about the same amount of time at the same charge rate. The pack at a 1C rate is .8 amps and It took mine 69 minutes to charge.

Jason
jason@maxamps.com
www.NitroKillers.com
www.MaxAMps.com