SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:52 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Help!
First GOOD Crash - PIC and Question

I got an hour and a half of stick time in today...mostly calm, with 10mph gusts. I learned a lot about the plane and controls today...a real confidence building session. I was doing really well, and didn't have but one little 'crash'...and that was in soft grass. I got to the point where I was taking off, and landing my Champ without error, every time. I was even getting to where I could land it within a few feet of a marker I laid out. I cycled through 2 entire batteries without a single crash...by taking off, flying around for a minute, landing, and taking off again...over and over and over.

Then...I take off...get about 30 yards away, and during my climb, the rudder stuck or something...my tx started flashing, and down it came in a spiral of doom. Ripped the port wing completely off. The break is clean, so I'm thinking I can fix it with 1cm paperclip pins, hot glue, and packaging tape. This should add less than a gram to the port side...should I add a bit of mass to the starbord side as well to balance the plane?

I'm not ruling out pilot error...but I had recovered from far worse a number of times...and the damn tx was flashing. Maybe the batteries are running out...I'll get the meter out on them later.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Nov 11, 2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:11 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Flashing TX on the champ means you pressed in on the right stick and set it to 'slow/limited throw' mode.

You don't need to add weight to the other side with the weight that close to the fuselage.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:20 PM
USA, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2009
812 Posts
Foam safe gap CA filling glue wil work for putting your Champ back together. Alternatively, another wing runs about $11.00.
benski is offline Find More Posts by benski
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:41 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts

My other hobby dictates that I have ample amounts of super glue...both gel and free flow...but that hobby has also taught me that super glue eats polystyrene. If I super glue this wing...is it gonna eat away at it?

Thanks
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Nov 11, 2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: more info - question
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:00 PM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined Jul 2010
163 Posts
Probably. You need "foam safe" CA glue.

I had a wing torn off my Champ too, fixed it with Gorilla Glue.

Tom
tr4252 is offline Find More Posts by tr4252
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:28 AM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
I did the same thing to my friends champ today......flying inverted with not enough throw does not work lol. I fixed it will a little super glue then put packing tape on top and bottom, it seems stronger than stock .
E-reevo is offline Find More Posts by E-reevo
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:01 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,088 Posts
Not as bad as it seems. I have had good luck with Gorilla Glue on repairs. It dries as a hard foam. Found a good trick with it. Use the clear, it dries white. On a thin repair like your wing. Take a q tip and wet end, roll to dampen both sides of the foam. Take a fresh q tip, and apply a small amount of the glue to the tip as you roll it around. Then roll the q tip end across the area you need to glue. This will give you even coverage without applying too much. Wait for a minute till you see it start to the glue puffing up. Do not apply too much as this stuff expands like crazy. Join the halves together and hold in position or temporary tape. Next part is timing, as the glue is expanding before it is completely dry it. I cut the head off a q tip and start to press it into any glue on the edges that is expanding out to compact it down. Too soon, the glue is still tacky, too late it is too hard to compact. about 7 -10 minutes I guess. This compacting will make for a pretty clean joint and really packs the glue hard and blends in with the foam pretty good. Colored sharpie for blending color when completely dry. Really durable repair!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:44 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
I'd personally go with foam safe CA and packing tape. Simple fix, should be more than strong enough, and would add hardly any weight. As it is so close to the fuselage, it should not affect the handling. You wil be flying in minutes.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:44 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
On a champ use Medium Foam Safe CA, such as BSI Super Gold + and a light spray of BSI Insta Cure.

Forget the packing tape, it's going to make one side heavier, and it will tend to dip that wing in flight.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:20 PM
Waltham, MA
Joined Aug 2010
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benski View Post
Foam safe gap CA filling glue wil work for putting your Champ back together. Alternatively, another wing runs about $11.00.
+1
I think every champ owner has or will experience this at some point.
Additionally, put a tiny bit of packing tape over the seam once the CA cures.
fotoflojoe is offline Find More Posts by fotoflojoe
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:20 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks a 'Flashing light' on the TX before a crash is cool! Beep Beep Beep - Warning Warning Warning - Crash.
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvr1ck View Post
Am I the only one who thinks a 'Flashing light' on the TX before a crash is cool! Beep Beep Beep - Warning Warning Warning - Crash.
LOL...I'll admit, I laughed my arse off when it happened. I was a little bummed because I would have had another good hour in the air, and I don't have any foam safe CA. I'm gonna work some gorilla magic tonight, as I want to fly in the morning...nearest hobby store is 30 minutes away.

It's funny though...my wife wasn't impressed...she was asking me if every flight carried with it the risk of destroying a hundred dollar plane. I told her this plane is designed to do exactly this. I also reminded her of the dollar amount we have in show horses...

...that was the end of that discussion...lol.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:34 PM
USA, CA, Watsonville
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
It happens

Bad aileron servo led a a lawn dart... Figure this kinda thing happens to your first plane.

Monterey10 is offline Find More Posts by Monterey10
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:20 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey10 View Post
Bad aileron servo led a a lawn dart... Figure this kinda thing happens to your first plane.

That picture makes me happy...not a shot at you, but at least my bird didn't get jacked like that.

TonyK...I followed your advice, and the wing is repaired, and ready to crash tomorrow...I mean...crash...DAMNIT...I keep typing crash, but the word crash keeps showing up...DAMNIT!!!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:17 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,088 Posts
Just to make ya alll feel better, my Habu ended up looking much worse that that one time. Plenty repairable, this foam stuff is some good shiz!
Relax, you will do fine, eventually!!!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K