HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: IF* you have it, would you say its...
Great 53 73.61%
ok:l 16 22.22%
Bad 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:30 PM
Micro Man!
Joined Dec 2009
490 Posts
Discussion
RC Aircraft Bomb Drop Thread

A thread to discuss all things bomb drop.

Chat, Questions, Product reviews, pictures, videos, how-to's...

Found a new bomb drop system, post it.

So far we have hobbylobby's Bomb drop along with hobby king's.

Just thought there should be a common thread where all info can be found.

Take Care,

MF
Microflyyer is offline Find More Posts by Microflyyer
Last edited by Microflyyer; Apr 12, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:59 PM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
Hi Micro
I had one kicking around in my parts box. I just but it on my Blue Max around Thanksgiving. Have not had the weather to try it yet.
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old Jan 03, 2010, 04:35 PM
inverted down is up, up is
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
can u get other shaped bombs/ make ur own bombs?

where can u get one? i want to try it out on my f 18! xD
kieran3008 is offline Find More Posts by kieran3008
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:43 PM
Long Island
Joined Jan 2010
6 Posts
oh thats too cool going to put one on my t28
herm1983 is offline Find More Posts by herm1983
Old Jan 07, 2010, 03:45 PM
Why yes, I am an R/C addict!
About 15 miles from Bristow, OK
Joined May 2009
650 Posts
I bought one from Todds models. One servo and a hot glue gun and I was good to go!
flyrcehelis is offline Find More Posts by flyrcehelis
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:28 AM
Micro Man!
Joined Dec 2009
490 Posts
hobby king sells a better one, servo is built in. i i may get it. -- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10624
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:50 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,605 Posts
The Hobby King bomb uses a poor quality brittle plastic. It is good for one bomb drop. After that you have to buy a new one. So far everyone that dropped the bomb wound up with a bomb that broke apart on impact with the ground. Not just come apart. the bomb exploded into many little pieces.
Replacement bombs are only $4.99 each though plug shipping.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=14019825

Now the drop module is pretty nice as it includes the server mechanism built in. So one could substitute something else for the bomb after it breaks.

Hummm, I got to thinking that maybe the fancy nice looking bomb is only for looks. One should use the extra release plate to make a bomb that they can drop when flying.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 13, 2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:25 AM
Micro Man!
Joined Dec 2009
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
The Hobby King bomb uses a poor quality brittle plastic. It is good for one bomb drop. After that you have to buy a new one. So far everyone that dropped the bomb wound up with a bomb that broke apart on impact with the ground. Not just come apart. the bomb exploded into many little pieces.
Replacement bombs are only $4.99 each though plug shipping.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=14019825

Now the drop module is pretty nice as it includes the server mechanism built in. So one could substitute something else for the bomb after it breaks.

Hummm, I got to thinking that maybe the fancy nice looking bomb is only for looks. One should use the extra release plate to make a bomb that they can drop when flying.
Yes, it gives you that extra plate, that you can attach to a pop can spay painted black (for looks). then you could rig the can/bomb to explode on impact with a flammable powder in it. it would be cool.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:30 PM
Joined Apr 2007
425 Posts
There is only 1 or 2 reports of the bomb breaking.....I would not say that is everyone.

also the bomb is designed to split apart. The design doesn't work very well so the force is then applied to the bomb vs helping it split. I cutoff all the tabs and used magnets on mine. I test dropped the bomb on a throw rug ontop of a my concrete floor. Much harder than the grass. It split apart with ease when using the magnets.

Like you said though....bombs are only $5 so have a set for display and make a mold of them or use something else with the plate they give you if you are concerned of them breaking.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:58 AM
Micro Man!
Joined Dec 2009
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
There is only 1 or 2 reports of the bomb breaking.....I would not say that is everyone.

also the bomb is designed to split apart. The design doesn't work very well so the force is then applied to the bomb vs helping it split. I cutoff all the tabs and used magnets on mine. I test dropped the bomb on a throw rug ontop of a my concrete floor. Much harder than the grass. It split apart with ease when using the magnets.

Like you said though....bombs are only $5 so have a set for display and make a mold of them or use something else with the plate they give you if you are concerned of them breaking.
I would think that the only way it would break into little pieces would be if you dropped it with rocks or powder on to pavement. I'm sure you could drop it on grass and it would be fine.

It would be cool to fill a pop can with non dairy coffee creamer and some gun powder an have a little pin hit the powder on impact. big fire-y explosion!

Anyway, i would if it would look cool on a scale Heli????

MF
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:18 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,372 Posts
Hey thanks for the info on the HC bomb. I had bought the HL one but neverused it. The 2 parts bomb was not fitting very good. The HC one with the included servo base is great !
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Carguy FPV year
Old Apr 07, 2010, 07:27 PM
Micro Man!
Joined Dec 2009
490 Posts
No problem man. Glad you found this helpful.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:04 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
i never did buy it, why is this any more effective than a homemade one? use some hama beads ( the things you make into patterns then iron together) one both the plane and bomb, then slip a control rod through set to the channel you want, so that it releases when commanded, for the bomb, i wrapped 12 one cent pieces into a bit of paper, sellotaped it all shut, and sellotaped a metre of pink fuel tubing to the back, and epoxied all my hama beads into place, worked like a treat and always landed blunt end first in the mud, digging its way in almost an inch into the mud! now be careful we reckon dropped from a hundred feet it would crack your skull! i tried doing a toss bomb manouver, and i never found it again :/
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:49 PM
Micro Man!
Joined Dec 2009
490 Posts
The Hobbyking bomb just looks so scale and pretty.

I would be most likely to buy it, then after the bomb has had its days, make bombs that work with the nice little drop mechanism. I would make them out of tall thin cans or i guess money wrap...

I will post pictures when i get the Bomb system.

MF
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:50 AM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
That col and it's personal preferance tbh, I'm 15amd always skint so make as much as I can myself, I made a morescale looking bomb by starting off with the profile shapelike a cross from the top and boh the bomb shape, then adding playdough around it to make it look good, cooling the playdough so it's hard, then painting and detailing it, mind you I lost that bomb too!