New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by pricelessppp
Joined Apr 2014
100 Posts
Discussion
Realflight 7 Phoenix v5 Aerofly 7 or AccuRC what is the best

I am thinking about trying another simulator i have Realflight and Phoenix i am thinking about trying Aerofly 7 or AccuRC what do you recommend out of those two simulators?

Aerofly RC7
http://www.ikarus.net/aeroflyrc-7/ae...tures/?lang=en

AccuRC
http://www.accurc.com/

What two simulators do you recommend what has the best aerodynamics?
pricelessppp is offline Find More Posts by pricelessppp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2014, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by wingspan99
Joined Sep 2004
38 Posts
Aerofly 7 Pro

I bought Aerofly 7 Standard and was pretty happy with it for 39 euros or $51US. I was getting 25-30fps which was the minimum with out eye strain. Then I upgraded to Professional level for another 65 euros and by choosing one particular scenery and ThreeDee heli I suddenly got 60fps which is buttery smooth to look at and I was preparing to buy a 100 video card but now I dont hve to just yet. As far as realism I find that the low end nitro flybar helis are very realistic but not very fast in control response. The flybarless electric helis are way faster in cyclic and collective so I can practice with a very fast sim heli and when I fly IRL my machines seem to be moving in slow motion and I'm way ahead of them. I dont know about other sims except heli-x. You can try it for free then it's about $85. The free version lets you play it for 10 min at a time then you have to wait a minute a reselect a heli. Ive tried Phoenix 5 and its decent too. I will prob buy Heli-x next, because during winter I cannot have too many sims.
wingspan99 is offline Find More Posts by wingspan99
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by Rob2160
Team Armattan
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
5,378 Posts
I just downloaded Aerofly 7 Professional, I have previously been using Picasim and Clearview.

Aerofly's interface is very polished and the graphics look superb on my Asus G74 and 1920 x 1080.

But the flight models… none of the aircraft exhibit any form of accelerate stall. Very unrealistic as you can hold full back elevator and the aircraft just keeps looping perfectly. This is totally incorrect.

Is there a way to adjust realism settings? If so I couldn't find it.

( I ran a website dedicated to assessing simulator physics in the late 90s for PC Based flight simulators - very few of them got the stall correct but some did it very well)

Clearview does a reasonable job for an RC sim but this Aerofly is very disappointing so far.

I made a video to demonstrate the problem. Without correct stall modelling Aerofly will teach you bad habits. You can't just pull full elevator in most RC aircraft and expect to keep flying.

Aerofly 7 Professional Sim vs Clearview - Aerodynamics (4 min 1 sec)

Here is another video after more testing. In a typical base to final situation I deliberately try to stall the aircraft. This situation has caused many crashes for new RC pilots and Clearview simulates the stall nicely. Unfortunately Aerofly complete ignores it. I even tried using their custom airfoils in the model set up and it made no difference.

Aerofly 7 vs Clearview - Base turn stall with a low wing trainer (2 min 35 sec)
Rob2160 is online now Find More Posts by Rob2160
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Rob2160; Nov 29, 2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by tekyguy
Can't get enough RC!
United States, OH, North Ridgeville
Joined Jun 2014
1,328 Posts
Interesting. I have zero experience with RC simulators. I mainly want to fly quads. How does this work with my DX7 transmitter and for a quad do you think this Aerofly for MAC is good? Thanks Rob!
tekyguy is offline Find More Posts by tekyguy
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:31 AM
Team Armattan
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
5,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekyguy View Post
Interesting. I have zero experience with RC simulators. I mainly want to fly quads. How does this work with my DX7 transmitter and for a quad do you think this Aerofly for MAC is good? Thanks Rob!
Not sure how it works with a DX7 but I have set up a few quads on Aerofly now and it does a good job of simulating them. You can adjust the motor KV, prop sizes and the rates on the FC board. I have customised several models to fly almost exactly like my Armattan quads.

I didn't install the Mac version, only the windows version but others seem to have no trouble with it on Mac.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2014, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by tekyguy
Can't get enough RC!
United States, OH, North Ridgeville
Joined Jun 2014
1,328 Posts
Thanks Rob. My older DX7 doesn't have a USB port. Maybe it cannot be used with a simulator. Or maybe there is some kind of receiver with USB interface I can use. I'll have to read up.
tekyguy is offline Find More Posts by tekyguy
Old Nov 29, 2014, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,999 Posts
Provided it has a trainer output (usually a 3.5mm socket in Spektrum TXs) you can get an interface to connect it to a computer via USB. In fact most simulators come with just such an interface.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 29, 2014, 04:44 PM
Joined Sep 2004
38 Posts
Aerofly RC7 stalls

Rob try adding some weight to the planes, they do stall but the 3D planes are all too lightly built and overpowered. I tried the Cap the other day, I added 2 KG weight and it got a lot more realistic in the hover because it got a lot harder!! I do agree the planes are set up either too overpowered or too underpowered, too light or too heavy, but they can be adjusted for more realism, but then you did pay for realistic models that don't have to be adjusted for realism.

For a USB adapter try the Hobbyking Wireless 9 in 1 Adapter. It will let you plug in a 3.5mm plug from your DX7 trainer port, in fact it comes with that wire, and then into a USB port via a micro USB connector. It works with most of the main simulators, and you can also plug in a receiver and go wireless. I have tried both modes, corded and wireless and although the corded allows you to remove the frequency module and the battery lasts a lot longer, having the tx wireless is simply wonderful. One of these days someone will make a tx module that is bluetooth, I know they already have bluetooth controllers that serve this purpose. After years of being with the corded version, the wireless is sweet. I use an OrangeRx tx module and an inexpensive OrangeRx 6-chan receiver although an 8-chan would be better. I did have one receiver burn out after a few months, it was an old 72mhz pcm thing, I don't think it was meant to be on for three months straight. The 72mhz tx module pulled too much current anyway.

The sceneries that have been giving high frame rates in Aerofly RC7 is the Aspach, about 60fps and the Parker Mountain, about 50fps. I have no idea why this is so. I have a Radeon 6450 HD card. It rates about a 267 in the video card processor power rating system, and the card they recommend rates about 750 so I'm very underpowered. Many $100 video cards rate almost 3000 in the rating system at http://www.videocardbenchmark.net .
The GeForce 9600 GT is what they recommend, here's it's page:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gp...+9600+GT&id=95
This card is down around $30 on ebay now, apparently these sims video requirements are minimal compared to most video games. Many video cards rate almost 5000 and the GeForce 780 TI rates 9,014 .
The average video card that comes with low-end PC's rates about 78 so I'm way ahead of a stock setup but I could use some more power, and of course the best way to shop is bang for the buck and so they also rate them for price/performance. The GeForce GTX 760 is about $100 and rates about 3000.
Video card model numbers mean almost nothing when it comes to their performance and price. My Radeon HD 6450 is far outranked by the Radeon HD 5870.

The 4D sceneries are down at 22fps and most sceneries are about 30fps. The heli's do have blow-arounds when going backwards, and it's harder to push the tail into the wind on a right turn than to the left, some of the heli's have pitch-ups at high speed so there's a lot of realism on the heli's.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 05:42 PM
Joined Sep 2004
38 Posts
Stalls in Aerofly

After watching the videos of the stall differences I have to agree that Aerofly planes don't realistically stall at all, even if you load them up there's no snap-stall like you demonstrated in Clearview, which makes them too easy to land in Aerofly.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 06:14 PM
Team Armattan
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
5,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan99 View Post
After watching the videos of the stall differences I have to agree that Aerofly planes don't realistically stall at all, even if you load them up there's no snap-stall like you demonstrated in Clearview, which makes them too easy to land in Aerofly.
Yes that was my point. I have RC aircraft that do exactly what the plane does in Clearview, it snaps and spirals as long as you hold full elevator but recovers instantly when you release elevator.

You are right about the Cap in Aerofly, I methodically tested every model last night and the Cap was the only one that felt like it was actually stalling.

I even experimented with the custom aerofoils in the model set up but they still didn't improve the way stalls are simulated.

Aerofly has redeemed itself slightly as the quad copter dynamics are very good and after customising a few models they fly exactly like my real ones.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:48 AM
Find More Posts by Levendis
Leo Cheung
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined Jun 2008
789 Posts
So Rob, have you tried other common simulators such as the current versions of Phoenix and Realflight and do they have better flight modelling?

I have been off sims for about four years (last used RF version 4 and a very old version of Phoenix and I remember that I preferred RF back then). Now interested in brushing up on hovering and harriers now that 3D flying has become a bit less fashionable.

Many thanks for your perspectives.
Levendis is offline Find More Posts by Levendis
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:55 AM
Team Armattan
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
5,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levendis View Post
So Rob, have you tried other common simulators such as the current versions of Phoenix and Realflight and do they have better flight modelling?

I have been off sims for about four years (last used RF version 4 and a very old version of Phoenix and I remember that I preferred RF back then). Now interested in brushing up on hovering and harriers now that 3D flying has become a bit less fashionable.

Many thanks for your perspectives.
No I haven't tried Realflight or Phoenix. My two sims were Picasim (free) and Clearview (inexpensive) because I don't really spend much time with them.

However two things made me buy Aerofly, I just realised you can use the Taranis radio plugged directly with USB into a PC and on another thread we were discussing quad copter sims and Aerofly does those and I wanted to try it.

I have since done more testing and with some feedback from the company you can make aero fly models stall better by placing the CG further back and change the wing tip stall angle to a lower value (in the edit aircraft option windows).

Still not totally realistic in my opinion but a step in the right direction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2014, 03:33 AM
Find More Posts by Levendis
Leo Cheung
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined Jun 2008
789 Posts
Rob, thanks for the feedback. The straight plug-n-play with a Taranis would be a huge plus as that's what I'm using 90% of the time these days.

With respect to RF and Phoenix, I seem to recall that the latter had great graphics, however for the same level of detail the frame rates seemed to be quite a bit slower running on the same computer. It's been a few years since then so I'm just wondering if things have changed.

It also seems like that the variety of models seem to have stagnated a bit, with 2014 type of RC models (250-size quads, CC3d quads, FPV wings and sky-walker types of models, as well as model EDF / turbine jets under-represented in all major RC sims...which seems a bit of a shame.
Levendis is offline Find More Posts by Levendis
Old Dec 12, 2014, 04:58 AM
Team Armattan
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
5,378 Posts
Yes I love that you can plug the Taranis and use it in sims. For years I was using a cheap esky transmitter but it was so inaccurate and felt cheap to fly with so it wasn't fun at all.

The graphics in aerofly are really nice, I can't fault them. I run everything on maximum resolution 1920 x 1080 with all settings at max and get 120 frames per second. My laptop is an Asus g74. A few years old but still does the job well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2014, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by Rich Z
Joined Nov 2014
196 Posts
Not sure about the other products, but I bought Phoenix RC 5 and I have to admit that the graphics are so "1980"s. I've got a pretty beefy PC with a high end graphics card and I'm not sure the program even uses it. Surely any games that I play on my PC blow away this emulator by a very large margin. Still, I am honing my skills with quads using it, so I guess I'm getting my money's worth by not crashing hardware learning that way.
Rich Z is offline Find More Posts by Rich Z