Old Feb 02, 2016, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsfits View Post
Good to know, but I'm based in a tropical country though. Will 110-120 deg.F tops affects the battery life somehow? Also, which is better for battery life; 5 minute or 20 minute clip recording? 10mbps / 7mbps data rate?
High temperature also is hard on lipo cells. That 120 deg. F high you mention is about the same as the camera will reach internally while recording on an 80 deg. F. day! So the camera will get noticeably hotter at the temperatures you mention. It places stress on the battery for sure, and can shorten it's life span.

The higher data rate makes the camera work harder while recording, and it consumes more power. If you want to be sure the camera is delivering all the detail it is capable of, then set the higher data rate. But the camera lens resolving power and CMOS sensor can become the bottleneck in image quality, though, and to my eye I can't tell any difference in the recorded video quality between the high and normal data rates. YMMV.

The clip length shouldn't have any significant effect on battery life assuming you turn the camera on and off at the same points, e.g. a 23 min. recording takes about the same amount of power whether it's made with clip length set for 5 min. or 20 min.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by Gomario
Mr.
South Africa, EC, Humansdorp
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
After formating my HD, my win7-64bit PC does not recognize the #16 (and Mobius) cameras. I use them as a USB PC-Camera by removing the SD-Card. Obviously the driver is missing and I can not find it anywhere on the net. Hardware ID: USB\VID_0603&PID_8612&REV_0010&MI_00 for #16 and USB\VID_0603&PID_1002&REV_0010&MI_00 for the Mobius.
Gomario is offline Find More Posts by Gomario
Old Feb 06, 2016, 11:54 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
19,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
After formating my HD, my win7-64bit PC does not recognize the #16 (and Mobius) cameras. I use them as a USB PC-Camera by removing the SD-Card. Obviously the driver is missing and I can not find it anywhere on the net. Hardware ID: USB\VID_0603&PID_8612&REV_0010&MI_00 for #16 and USB\VID_0603&PID_1002&REV_0010&MI_00 for the Mobius.
There are no special drivers needed for the cameras. I have accessed both of those cameras on my 64 bit PCs, running W7, W8.1, and now W10 with the standard Windows drivers, including webcam mode.

Did you do a full install of W7 (or recover with a full system image backup) after you re-formatted your HD? If so, do the cameras connect as USB drives with memory cards in them? Failure to connect is usually due to the USB cable being low quality or USB ports being erratic. Try a different USB cable (several if necessary) or a different USB port on your PC (or on a different PC).
Old Feb 07, 2016, 02:49 AM
Find More Posts by Gomario
Mr.
South Africa, EC, Humansdorp
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
Tx for your reply. Yes, USB drives connect 100%. Switch off, disconnect, remove MC, reconnect camera(s). WIN7 recognizes both cameras with the correct hardware ID's but does not assign any driver (offers to search for the 'correct' driver though)! Obviously there is/was an issue with my Win7 installation. The thing is, everything else works 100% and I don't feel like doing the entire Win7 install thing all over again. My best bet is to have someone knowledgeable (like you) check which exact file does Windows use as the driver and put it in the correct folder (I guess C/Windows . . .) The files should be something like: Usbvideo.sys and Usbvideo.inf - I might be wrong though.
Gomario is offline Find More Posts by Gomario
Last edited by Gomario; Feb 07, 2016 at 03:03 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2016, 12:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
19,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
Tx for your reply. Yes, USB drives connect 100%. Switch off, disconnect, remove MC, reconnect camera(s). WIN7 recognizes both cameras with the correct hardware ID's but does not assign any driver (offers to search for the 'correct' driver though)! Obviously there is/was an issue with my Win7 installation. The thing is, everything else works 100% and I don't feel like doing the entire Win7 install thing all over again. My best bet is to have someone knowledgeable (like you) check which exact file does Windows use as the driver and put it in the correct folder (I guess C/Windows . . .) The files should be something like: Usbvideo.sys and Usbvideo.inf - I might be wrong though.
I'm not running W7 on any of my PC's now. All have been converted to W10. I attached a screen shot of the W10 driver files that show up for Mobius (when connected in webcam mode) in Device Manager in the "Sound/video and game controllers" and "Imaging devices" heading, but they may not use the same names as W7. Ignore the one I highlighted in yellow since it's specific to a recording program... not sure about the others, but they are all from Microsoft. Did you get an option to click to let your PC search the web for updated drivers? That should find the MS ones, I'd think.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 07, 2016 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added Imaging devices attachment