New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Feb 02, 2016, 06:16 AM
Tom Frank is online now
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsfits View Post
...
Good to know, but I'm based in a tropical country though. Will 110-120 deg.F tops affects the battery life somehow? Also, which is better for battery life; 5 minute or 20 minute clip recording? 10mbps / 7mbps data rate?
High temperature also is hard on lipo cells. That 120 deg. F high you mention is about the same as the camera will reach internally while recording on an 80 deg. F. day! So the camera will get noticeably hotter at the temperatures you mention. It places stress on the battery for sure, and can shorten it's life span.

The higher data rate makes the camera work harder while recording, and it consumes more power. If you want to be sure the camera is delivering all the detail it is capable of, then set the higher data rate. But the camera lens resolving power and CMOS sensor can become the bottleneck in image quality, though, and to my eye I can't tell any difference in the recorded video quality between the high and normal data rates. YMMV.

The clip length shouldn't have any significant effect on battery life assuming you turn the camera on and off at the same points, e.g. a 23 min. recording takes about the same amount of power whether it's made with clip length set for 5 min. or 20 min.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 10:03 AM
Gomario is online now
Find More Posts by Gomario
Mr.
Gomario's Avatar
South Africa, EC, Humansdorp
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
After formating my HD, my win7-64bit PC does not recognize the #16 (and Mobius) cameras. I use them as a USB PC-Camera by removing the SD-Card. Obviously the driver is missing and I can not find it anywhere on the net. Hardware ID: USB\VID_0603&PID_8612&REV_0010&MI_00 for #16 and USB\VID_0603&PID_1002&REV_0010&MI_00 for the Mobius.
Gomario is online now Find More Posts by Gomario
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 10:54 AM
Tom Frank is online now
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
After formating my HD, my win7-64bit PC does not recognize the #16 (and Mobius) cameras. I use them as a USB PC-Camera by removing the SD-Card. Obviously the driver is missing and I can not find it anywhere on the net. Hardware ID: USB\VID_0603&PID_8612&REV_0010&MI_00 for #16 and USB\VID_0603&PID_1002&REV_0010&MI_00 for the Mobius.
There are no special drivers needed for the cameras. I have accessed both of those cameras on my 64 bit PCs, running W7, W8.1, and now W10 with the standard Windows drivers, including webcam mode.

Did you do a full install of W7 (or recover with a full system image backup) after you re-formatted your HD? If so, do the cameras connect as USB drives with memory cards in them? Failure to connect is usually due to the USB cable being low quality or USB ports being erratic. Try a different USB cable (several if necessary) or a different USB port on your PC (or on a different PC).
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2016, 01:49 AM
Gomario is online now
Find More Posts by Gomario
Mr.
Gomario's Avatar
South Africa, EC, Humansdorp
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
Tx for your reply. Yes, USB drives connect 100%. Switch off, disconnect, remove MC, reconnect camera(s). WIN7 recognizes both cameras with the correct hardware ID's but does not assign any driver (offers to search for the 'correct' driver though)! Obviously there is/was an issue with my Win7 installation. The thing is, everything else works 100% and I don't feel like doing the entire Win7 install thing all over again. My best bet is to have someone knowledgeable (like you) check which exact file does Windows use as the driver and put it in the correct folder (I guess C/Windows . . .) The files should be something like: Usbvideo.sys and Usbvideo.inf - I might be wrong though.
Gomario is online now Find More Posts by Gomario
Last edited by Gomario; Feb 07, 2016 at 02:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2016, 11:58 AM
Tom Frank is online now
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
Tx for your reply. Yes, USB drives connect 100%. Switch off, disconnect, remove MC, reconnect camera(s). WIN7 recognizes both cameras with the correct hardware ID's but does not assign any driver (offers to search for the 'correct' driver though)! Obviously there is/was an issue with my Win7 installation. The thing is, everything else works 100% and I don't feel like doing the entire Win7 install thing all over again. My best bet is to have someone knowledgeable (like you) check which exact file does Windows use as the driver and put it in the correct folder (I guess C/Windows . . .) The files should be something like: Usbvideo.sys and Usbvideo.inf - I might be wrong though.
I'm not running W7 on any of my PC's now. All have been converted to W10. I attached a screen shot of the W10 driver files that show up for Mobius (when connected in webcam mode) in Device Manager in the "Sound/video and game controllers" and "Imaging devices" heading, but they may not use the same names as W7. Ignore the one I highlighted in yellow since it's specific to a recording program... not sure about the others, but they are all from Microsoft. Did you get an option to click to let your PC search the web for updated drivers? That should find the MS ones, I'd think.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 07, 2016 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Added Imaging devices attachment
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2016, 06:46 AM
aeronaut999 is offline
Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Registered User
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,388 Posts
Aargh-- focussed way too close

Just received two 808 #16 keychain cams w/ D lens from massiverc-- they each appear to be focussed about 4 to 6 inches in front of the lens. Really??!!

(Edit-- looks like I was mistaken-- I tried to re-focus for about 26 inches to get a good view of the aircraft fuselage from the wingtip camera and ended up leaving the lens right back at the original setting. I guess it is pixelation that is making objects at that distance seem less sharp then objects much closer to the lens.)

Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Last edited by aeronaut999; Feb 12, 2016 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2016, 07:32 AM
Pixelpeter is offline
Find More Posts by Pixelpeter
Registered User
Pixelpeter's Avatar
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2015
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999 View Post
Just received two 808 #16 keychain cams w/ D lens from massiverc-- they each appear to be focussed about 4 to 6 inches in front of the lens. Really??!!
That's for BPOV

Bee Point Of View
Pixelpeter is offline Find More Posts by Pixelpeter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2016, 01:01 PM
usna09 is offline
Find More Posts by usna09
FPV Made Easy
Joined Oct 2014
248 Posts
Change battery to increase run time to several hours

How To Replace An 808 Key Cam Battery (1 min 22 sec)


My 808 #16 key cam only ran for 30-45 minutes. The video quality was excellent, and I loved how small and light the camera was, but I needed more time, especially for my long FPV flights. Several of m FPV videos (you can see them on my channel) would cut short near the end of the flight. I bought a 1s 700 mAh lipo from Amazon for $5 and swapped it with the stock battery, which was around 200 - 250 mAh. The camera now runs for 3 hours, and the extended battery leads enable me to keep the battery inside the equipment compartment where it's a bit warmer and the battery will run longer.
usna09 is offline Find More Posts by usna09
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2016, 02:55 PM
Tom Frank is online now
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usna09 View Post
My 808 #16 key cam only ran for 30-45 minutes. The video quality was excellent, and I loved how small and light the camera was, but I needed more time, especially for my long FPV flights. Several of m FPV videos (you can see them on my channel) would cut short near the end of the flight. I bought a 1s 700 mAh lipo from Amazon for $5 and swapped it with the stock battery, which was around 200 - 250 mAh. The camera now runs for 3 hours, and the extended battery leads enable me to keep the battery inside the equipment compartment where it's a bit warmer and the battery will run longer.
Did you consider the larger Mobius battery? It can give a little more run time... maybe still not enough for your needs, but if it can, the weight and space requirements (compared to your mod) are a lot better. Since you didn't mention the larger stock Mobius battery, I didn't know if you were aware of it.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2016, 09:06 AM
usna09 is offline
Find More Posts by usna09
FPV Made Easy
Joined Oct 2014
248 Posts
Tom Frank,

Thanks for the info, I did some google searching for 1s lipos and just picked one that was cheap and had a few times the capacity of the stock battery. So far I'm happy with the improvement, as it runs 3 hours and I don't have to worry about it shutting off midflight.
usna09 is offline Find More Posts by usna09
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:56 AM
aeronaut999 is offline
Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Registered User
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,388 Posts
Red light on while charging? 808#16 v3

I have three 808#16 v3 cameras. Sometimes when I plug one in to charge in my car, a red light comes on and stays on. What does this mean? Normally I see a bright green light that soon changes to a dim green light which stays on until the camera is charged.

I can't isolate the problem down to one particular camera out of the three, or one particular USB cable, it just seems kind of random.

The cameras are recently purchased from massiverc and I haven't done anything to change the settings.

Thanks

Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:00 AM
aeronaut999 is offline
Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Registered User
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,388 Posts
Battery longevity-- charge after use?

With a device like the 808#16 v3 camera, is it best to fully charge the camera after use so that it is stored in a fully charged state? Or is it better to leave it uncharged until the next use?

In the past I've noticed that these cameras tend to lose some of their charge over a few days or even just overnight. Has anyone else found this to be true? It seems to me there may be a risk of the voltage dropping very low if the camera is put away without charging. Thoughts?

Thanks

Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2016, 01:16 PM
RogerDH is online now
Find More Posts by RogerDH
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999 View Post
With a device like the 808#16 v3 camera, is it best to fully charge the camera after use so that it is stored in a fully charged state? Or is it better to leave it uncharged until the next use?
"Conventional wisdom" says about half-charged, around 3.85 V, is best for long-term storage.
RogerDH is online now Find More Posts by RogerDH
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2016, 01:34 PM
Tom Frank is online now
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999 View Post
...
In the past I've noticed that these cameras tend to lose some of their charge over a few days or even just overnight. Has anyone else found this to be true? It seems to me there may be a risk of the voltage dropping very low if the camera is put away without charging. Thoughts?

Thanks

Steve
Even when turned off, the camera will continue to draw a minute amount of power to keep the time/date IC power so the date stamp stays accurate. But that is a tiny amount of power drain and you should not see any change over night from that cause. An aging cell, though, will start to build up internal resistance, and drop voltage faster under load in addition to having reduced capacity. That would show lower voltage in a given time period vs a fresh, new, healthy cell.

Also, the battery has a low voltage protection IC soldered on it's output tabs to protect it from being over-discharged by any external load. Rapid discharge while just sitting on the shelf, then, could be caused by a faulty low voltage protection circuit, or an internal short in the battery caused by deposits that build up on the plates over time. That could damage the cell if it over-discharges.

Of course, there could be some other issue with the camera that causes excessive fast power drain, such as an abnormal solder bridge between components on the circuit board, a faulty component, etc.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2016, 01:52 PM
victapilot is offline
Find More Posts by victapilot
Just thumbing through...
victapilot's Avatar
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,884 Posts
I have a 5 year old #16 and the battery is still ok. I never charge it until I want to use it. Storage while fully charged will harm the battery.

There's less risk of harming the battery by storage after use, the camera stops functioning at around 3.6v as I recall, and the protective circuit will shut off the clock after that.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Looking to buy #11 HD Key Cam within US Abolfazl Aerial Photography 4 Mar 20, 2016 12:14 AM
Discussion The REAL (#11) HD Key Cam Thread (PLEASE! READ POSTS #1-#3 BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!) Tom Frank Aerial Photography 9936 Feb 11, 2014 09:56 AM
Poll Poll For Current and Future #11 HD Key Cam Users Tom Frank Aerial Photography 0 Sep 25, 2011 11:55 PM
Discussion New HD Key Cam CHAMP? 1080x720p 3 HOUR RECORD TIME! Jaybee Aerial Photography 4 Jun 02, 2011 11:39 AM