Old Jan 03, 2016, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2006
4,468 Posts
Well considering i already have the eflite ones, the other listed struts for the eflite retracts are loose and the copyking ones require a different retract and are not offset like the p-51 should have. I am really stuck, i agree at 100 for both i am exceeding the realistic costs for upgrades on this airframe.

Unless someone else has figured which copyking oleos work with the 4mm eflite retracts, please let me know as i have a set on my dueces wild and they have been great.
camoy is offline Find More Posts by camoy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2016, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by stinker
Maple Ridge B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2006
44 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just posted a brand new unbuilt kit with extra scale parts in the FS forum.
Includes bomb kit, drop tank kit, cockpit kit and retracts.
Have to trim back some of my stash of planes and just never got around to building this one

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2576828
stinker is offline Find More Posts by stinker
Old May 08, 2016, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by sagomon
United States, NH, Suncook
Joined Oct 2010
1,286 Posts
I have had a NIB P-51B sitting to be built for several years,my wife had some health issues a few years ago and has had two brain aneurysms repaired in 2014 and 2015,now things are looking better so I cheated and bought this rtf version here on rcg link below
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2652203
basically this is what is included
E-flite P-51B Mustang 32e ARF. The plane only has 2 flights on it and everything was purchased brand new for this plane. Here is a list of everything that is included. E-flite 85 degree Main Landing gear retracts, E-flite Power 32 770 kv motor, Castle Creations Phoenix ICE 75 amp ESC, Hitec HS-81 servos on the rudder, both ailerons and flaps. Hitec HS-85BB on the elevator. Detailed Dynamic Balsa cockpit kit, APC prop, instructions and a few other spare parts. The plane has 2 coats of Top Flite LustreKote flat clear.
I am waiting on two 4000 mah 4s 25c batteries to arrive to ballance and check everything before flying it.
I have been flying glow R/c since 1971 ,everything from sailplanes to ducted fans.
this is my third electric plane and first built up plane,have flown two other p51
s the lanier arf back in 73 and the HOB .40 size back in 83.been 4 years since I have flown so I am a little rusty and have a durafly retro ugly stick to start with and a flight sim to practice on.From the reading I have done in this thread it seems this particular aircraft has the recommended equipment and should be good to go.I will be flying on 72 MHZ with a JR 8103 with analog trims.
Will also be installing the retractable tailwheel after the first flight if still in one piece.
Just one question for the group,Is there anything that I have overlooked in the equipment area that should be changed ? thinking of doing the rubberband hold down for the canopy to be safe .
Thanks in advance for your input.
sagomon is offline Find More Posts by sagomon
Old May 08, 2016, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
Joined Dec 2006
4,468 Posts
Given how long it has been since you have flown I would get back in the saddle with something easier. I see you mentioned simulator and retro ugly stick, but both of these are very forgiving comlared to the p-51. This plane needs to land with speed and will tip stall quickly if you are not careful in turns and bleed off too much airspeed. Also with the 4000 mah pack you are going to make the plane heavier than it already is, so even more speed will be required for lamding.

I did the retractable tail wheel it came out very good, it is a very scale flying p-51 be ready on take off for the plane to want to yaw so short roll out on take off are best.

Love this plane for the balsa construction just it is heavy for the wingspan.

Keep on it, keep power on, no dead stick landings, and you should be good.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2016, 04:21 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,286 Posts
Thanks,
The difference in weight between the eflite 3200 mah 4s and the 4000 mah is 3 ounces in the scheme of things should not be an increase of wing loading by about an ounce per sq foot.I need to weigh the airframe to see what it weighs .doesn;t seem to be heavy but could be deceiving and bite me in the butt.
The heaviest two planes I've flown was a Stafford B-24 at 14 lbs and a 40 oz/sq ft wing loading and a robinhood 80 with a maloney 100 at 14 pounds at 26 oz/sq ft .I won't be flying this P-51 right away till I know I'm ready.one trick is to add weight to the ugly stick a bit at at time to increase the wing loading to approximately that of the P-51 .
right now just making sure the equipment is correct and if anything need to be changed or added. I see that with the CC 75 esc that the built in bec is capable of powering all the servos with out adding a separate ubec.That was my major concern.
Last edited by sagomon; May 08, 2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old May 08, 2016, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
Joined Dec 2006
4,468 Posts
The cc esc should have no issues as most of the servos you listed are analog. The parts list is good.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2016, 04:54 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,286 Posts
Am thinking of cheating and using one of the lemon rx with the 3 stabilizations with just the rudder one functional to help with the yaw problem on take off.I have a dx18 I could use.
Old May 08, 2016, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
Joined Dec 2006
4,468 Posts
Stabilization is nice just be aware it will mask issues with the plane getting too slow until it is too late.

I installed an aura8 this year in mine and look forward to seeing if the p-51 will handle the crosswinds that always seem to happen at my field right after you take off
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2016, 05:08 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,286 Posts
You are correct on that point,that was why I would have only the rudder function working saves the weight of adding a gyro to do the same thing .
post your results here after you have flown it.may take me a month or more to get back upto speed to fly this.
Old May 09, 2016, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by Shung
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
C...your story reminds me of when the E-Flite P-51 was first released and it seemed like back then the guy's flying the Parkzone to FMS 1400mm size foamies went right to the balsa e-flite P-51 with pretty much the same result, as I was also in that group, but was lucky and managed to learn fast enough to keep her in one piece....
I considered myself a skilled pilot when I bought this one and maidened her. I flew foamies mainly but was getting extremely good at it.

I crashed on my first take off (grass to tall, too slow airspeed at take off and cross wind) my plane rolled to the left just after being airborne and crashed. No way to counter it with full ailerons. I was lucky too only break the wing attachment and the engine. The plane was repaired next few days.

I have learned to respect that plane and I haven't crashed since that first take off and almost a hundred flights. But the tip stall can catch you anytime if you aren't careful .

I think it is a good training for my 60cc mustang which is apparently much easier to fly with a much lighter wingload

Video of the crash so you don't make the same mistake.

Crash (0 min 21 sec)

Only rotate with lots of speed and do it when you are are power for a bit already. Torque roll can kill you.

How it is supposed to be flown

Eflite P-51B 32e 5th flight (7 min 34 sec)

Eflite P-51B Glenn Miller (6 min 0 sec)

Watch the tip stall though��
Shung is online now Find More Posts by Shung
Last edited by Shung; May 09, 2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old May 09, 2016, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by nadt770
AMA L68621; WA2LLX
United States, NY, Lake Katrine
Joined Apr 2001
831 Posts
NIB for sale on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-P-51...:L:LCA:US:1123
nadt770 is offline Find More Posts by nadt770
Old May 09, 2016, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by LICobra
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shung View Post
I have learned to respect that plane and I haven't crashed since that first take off and almost a hundred flights. But the tip stall can catch you anytime if you aren't careful .
Shung...It's been a while since we've heard from you, it's nice to see that your still flying your "B".
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
Old May 09, 2016, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by capteasy
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
2,402 Posts
It looks like you handle your landings like a pro....thanks for the videos.
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
Old May 09, 2016, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by StangBanger
Smish-smash
Canada, AB, Wainwright
Joined Jan 2015
530 Posts
Lovely vid, Shung. Perfect soundtrack, and those markings are my favorite for a Mustang. Good flying.
StangBanger is online now Find More Posts by StangBanger
Old May 11, 2016, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by Shung
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
Shung...It's been a while since we've heard from you, it's nice to see that your still flying your "B".
Thanks licobra.

I appreciate it. I haven't forgotten about you guys, I have been quite active in the ltup room but I should rather spend my time with you guys here.

I'll make a few videos of my next flights now that I own a iPhone 6s. Much better footage.
Shung is online now Find More Posts by Shung