Old Jan 26, 2016, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by Troy
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,077 Posts
Discussion
Dave's Hangar

Hi folks. I am just getting a chance to write this up and upload pics from my meeting at our friend Dave English's place (RIP). Dave had been a very busy builder over the last few years and has gone through quite a bit of F5D and Q40 development.

Much of his Q40 stuff is gone at this point but there is one wing plug it appears left. You can see a pic below. Dave also has a ton of paint supplies he used for these and other projects. They would love to find a home for it but obviously it can't be shipped.

For F5D, he made several sets of molds for airframes and also props. Of course the famed Mubu wing molds and a custom V-tail model of which he made several airframes. The Mubu molds are already purchased and I also have a buyer for the V-tail molds. You might be able to get these airplanes RTF in the near future.

From those molds, he had made several airframes. Some are in good shape, some need repair, and one is ready to fly complete with Neu 1708 1Y (direct drive), custom folding prop, MGS servos, ICE esc, and Futaba Rx. This is a good chance to get something cool. There is also a Jolt airframe there. Decent shape but will need some cosmetic repairs. Red white & blue V-tail is already spoken for.

Prop molds- He was in the process of making different props to mess around with. They look like modified APC blades and a CAM blade. He also has a Sawtooth prop mold.

Fabrics- He has a roll of high quality uni carbon, the stuff Yuri, Big Bruce, and all the other high performance guys use. There appears to be at least 3-5 linear yards (couldn't roll it out on the garage floor).
-Small roll carbon 2X2 twill ~5oz
-Roll of 5-6oz glass
-Roll 2oz glass
-Roll fiberglass seaming tape
-Small rolls of peel ply
-Assorted carbon rods and pre-cured uni strips
-"Pucky tape" for vacuum bagging
-Assorted epoxies, US Composites and West Systems, and High Temp Surface Coat. (I am in possession of the epoxies)

Motors-
Hacker A40-8L outrunner
Hacker B50-9S w/6.7:1 gear box coupled with Sawtooth blades, collet and spinner

Tekoa foam cutter with transformer (very nice unit)

Misc- folding paint stands (I believe 3)

So here is the deal: Please send Dave's close friend Tim an email for offers and interest in these items (send me a PM if you are interested in epoxies, local pick up in OC). Please, please, please make this as easy as possible for Tim. He is in Hemet, CA and pick up for large items is preferred. He is even willing to meet up within the SoCal area. I would suggest to bundle items as much as possible like the prop molds.
Bozanichs@hotmail.com

Feel free to ask technical questions here. I will answer as much as I know. I know some stories of the molds and airframes, but there are some things I just didn't discuss with him. Tim has some details but is not versed in e-power.

Thanks!
-Troy
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Ghost
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,351 Posts
Very sorry to hear of D.E.'s passing. He was really helpful with several questions I asked - he personally replied to this forum, and I was inspired with his building.

I'd be interested in the prop moulds - having been making moulded carbon props for the last 3 or 4 years I believe I have the abilities to make good props - the moulds look pretty well made.

What is the spec of the sawtooth, do you know Troy?
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by hubcapsteve
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Oct 2013
2,184 Posts
Hi Dean, if he has a problem with shipping the prop molds, I'm in Socal and can arrange a pick-up for you and handle shipping end of it, I believe a special person deserves these prop molds and I think you fit the bill....let me know if I can help.....hubcapsteve@yahoo.com
hubcapsteve is offline Find More Posts by hubcapsteve
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by Dtriano
Joined Nov 2015
2 Posts
Hi Troy- Trying to contact you, my messages are not showing as 'sent', please touch base with me as soon as you can-

Thanks- Dave
Dtriano is offline Find More Posts by Dtriano
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by Troy
Joined Feb 1999
6,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot View Post
Very sorry to hear of D.E.'s passing. He was really helpful with several questions I asked - he personally replied to this forum, and I was inspired with his building.

I'd be interested in the prop moulds - having been making moulded carbon props for the last 3 or 4 years I believe I have the abilities to make good props - the moulds look pretty well made.

What is the spec of the sawtooth, do you know Troy?
I was figuring you might want those

I believe the Sawtooth is the commercially available one and he just needed to keep a back up supply for himself. I would think if you give a fair offer the lot could be yours.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:27 PM
Find More Posts by Troy
Joined Feb 1999
6,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtriano View Post
Hi Troy- Trying to contact you, my messages are not showing as 'sent', please touch base with me as soon as you can-

Thanks- Dave
Received and replied.

I had a few people PMing me over the last couple weeks and even before I posted any pics on RCG so I'm trying to respond the best I can and in the order I have given/received info. Trying to handle the stuff as fair as I can for those interested. I'm pretty swamped with dad-duty, work, and home projects so bare with me. It's the main reason I didn't take possession of the items because there simply aren't enough hours in my week for me to sell, ship, and collect $$ for the gear.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
I was figuring you might want those

I believe the Sawtooth is the commercially available one and he just needed to keep a back up supply for himself. I would think if you give a fair offer the lot could be yours.
Thanks Troy - book me in! And thank you Steve for the kind offer. Sometimes living in NZ can be a pain in the rear!

Cheers,
Dean
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jan 30, 2016, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by Riv92506
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2016
31 Posts
Are the fuse or wing molds still available?

I am in Riverside.
Riv92506 is offline Find More Posts by Riv92506
Old Feb 01, 2016, 05:34 PM
Find More Posts by Troy
Joined Feb 1999
6,077 Posts
Molds are taken at this point.
RCG Plus Member