Old Feb 25, 2015, 07:45 AM
Find More Posts by QuadBert
Micro Quad Flyer
United States, AR, Maumelle
Joined Aug 2013
443 Posts
Discussion
Exceed Maxstone 10 any good?

Interested in trying out crawling. Not looking to compete or race. Not really interested in fast. Have buggies and a slash for that. Is the exceed Maxstone 10 any good? Maybe for trying fpv trail and rock crawling just for fun. Being scale accurate is also not a priority for this one. Inexpensive is appealing in case I wind up deciding I'm not all that interested in it. Spending most of my RC budget on things that fly these days.

What do you guys think? Would the Maxstone be good for getting my feet wet? Or should I really hold out for something more expensive like the axial?
QuadBert is offline Find More Posts by QuadBert
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2015, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by trail gunner
Joined Sep 2014
809 Posts
I've heard the electronics in it are no good the tires aint to good. In my opinion this is not a hobby to "cheat" on you have to spend a little more at times then you like. I wasn't crazy about goin out and spending $300 on my first scx10 but now I'm sooooooooo glad I did I love it. I would save up and break down and buy either a scx10 a AX10 or a wraith. But you may not end up liking it but I doubt it I love mine! I do know the redcat racing rs10 rockslide is $155 but it has no aftermarket support and I would not suggest it to anyone looking to buy there 2nd crawler or something. I'm not crazy about suggesting it to you but some people are gonna do what they want and not listen to no body. In my opinion don't go cheap even if you just seeing if you like it because after you buy say the Madstone or the rockslide say you love crawlin but here you are stuck with a cheap rig with no aftermarket support and the only place you can get replacement parts is the company that makes the thing. So I would go for a axial and try that if you end up not liking it sale it gift it or something. But this is my advice and what I would do. If you need anymore help or have any questions ask away!
trail gunner is offline Find More Posts by trail gunner
Old Feb 25, 2015, 09:25 AM
Joined Sep 2014
809 Posts
Went back through and read it. I made it kinda sound like "you don't have nothing unless you spend a lot of money" that's not at all what I mean. Those kinda rigs use softer plastics and cheaper parts that will break easy. People like axial vaterra rc4wd big names like that are better quality rigs.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by slim_chance
oh that guy
United States, SC, Clover
Joined Sep 2012
736 Posts
There are some people that will disagree with me. Usually one or two show up.
From my experience Exceed means broken parts. I have broken 3 out of 3 Exceeds that i have owned with in a week of buying putting them through the same things i put traxxas,axial,hpi,losi, and other higher brands through without a broken part.
They are cheaper at first untill you have to replace most of the rig with upgrade parts.
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2015, 09:05 PM
Micro Quad Flyer
Joined Aug 2013
443 Posts
If I go for an Axial, from what I've read, you need to replace a lot of it too. Is the AX10 Deadbolt everyone's recommendation? Can it to 4 wheel steering? (I don't think the exceed can, at least not out of the box.)

That said, I'm not stuck on the Exceed. I was just looking to get a toe in the water cheap. Just been burned by spending top $ on a few things that turned out not to be something I really enjoyed.

I've got a good TX and RX setup, as well as batteries, but it sounds like most of them come as a full setup anyway. I have speed controllers too, but probably not well suited to a crawler.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:35 PM
Joined Sep 2014
809 Posts
The redcat racing rs10 rockslide has rear steer and all kinds of stuff and is $150 bucks. But it is cheaply built And no aftermarket support.

That's the best way to find out if you like crawlers for cheap.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:47 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
736 Posts
Axial won't be so easy to break from the get go. I beat on an old axial scorpion for a year and the only thing i replaced was a drive shaft and the suspension links. 5 years later i still have the stock gears throughout the rig. The Deadbolt and Wraith has even stronger stock axles and links
If you want a 2.2 shafty comp style rig the AX10 Deadbolt is a great start. To make it 4ws you will need fron c hubs, knuckles, axle universals, and servo/servo mounts. If you plan on actually competing in 2.2s 4ws is not legal.
If you want something comp legal with 4ws you will have to run in class 3 scaler comps with a Wraith. Same axles same mod for 4ws.
also you have to figure do you want full time 4sw or optional. Full time you need a y harness with a servo reverse. Optional you want either a 3 channel radio or a 2 channel with a channel mixer. Never have used a channel mixer myself so i couldn't tell you how it works.
with a three channel you have a few options that you can use to set it up. If needed i can explain the options for that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:02 PM
Joined Sep 2014
809 Posts
Slim basically said what I didn't. The axial anything ain't gonna break any time soon. Yes some stuff will break but it will take it a while.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:37 PM
Micro Quad Flyer
Joined Aug 2013
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance View Post
Axial won't be so easy to break from the get go. I beat on an old axial scorpion for a year and the only thing i replaced was a drive shaft and the suspension links. 5 years later i still have the stock gears throughout the rig. The Deadbolt and Wraith has even stronger stock axles and links
If you want a 2.2 shafty comp style rig the AX10 Deadbolt is a great start. To make it 4ws you will need fron c hubs, knuckles, axle universals, and servo/servo mounts. If you plan on actually competing in 2.2s 4ws is not legal.
If you want something comp legal with 4ws you will have to run in class 3 scaler comps with a Wraith. Same axles same mod for 4ws.
also you have to figure do you want full time 4sw or optional. Full time you need a y harness with a servo reverse. Optional you want either a 3 channel radio or a 2 channel with a channel mixer. Never have used a channel mixer myself so i couldn't tell you how it works.
with a three channel you have a few options that you can use to set it up. If needed i can explain the options for that.
I've got a 4 channel radio and receiver. Use it with the cars I already have. Not really set on 4 wheel steering, but it sounds like it could make crawling interesting in that it is something I've never had before. My only truck is a 2wd traxxas slash racing rig. Not really into racing, anymore, though. Been flying things mostly, but want to get back into ground RC too. Something for when it is too windy to fly. Just not racing, nor really anything competitive. I think that's the part of racing that I got tired of. With flying, it is just for fun, not about who can spend the most on their rig, and spend the most time practicing. My reflexes aren't up to beating the young guys anymore anyway. Besides, there just isn't really any organized racing going on around here much anymore.

I'm just looking for something to take out into the trails or rocks on the weekends, and have some relaxing fun with. Don't want something that will turn into a paperweight the first time I break something, but don't want to break the bank just to have the latest and greatest either. Probably just wait until my budget is a little bigger at this point.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 01:44 AM
Joined Sep 2014
809 Posts
Axial scx10 deadbolt! Scale looking, very capable, fun, cheap, strong, easy, simple.

Its $300 very strong and very capable out of the box easy good electronics and looks cool! I love mine! The things that really need to be upgraded within 7 months of runnin it. Steel transmission gears, aluminum links c-hubs knuckles. That's all the money you have to spend for a problem free rig unless a bus runs over it!

Questions concerns i can help.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 02:49 AM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
736 Posts
What trail said. Or a wraith
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by ltz400
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
United States, IL, Sheridan
Joined Apr 2004
595 Posts
Trail you give a timeline on when to upgrade.Why do you need to upgrade the specified parts within a 7 month timeframe?
ltz400 is offline Find More Posts by ltz400
Old Feb 26, 2015, 02:03 PM
Joined Sep 2014
809 Posts
I have had mine that long and that is all that has broke (gears knuckles) and just what I would suggest you change as soon as possible (links c-hubs) with in 7 months. But everyone is different some people might like the flimsy as crap links and knuckles and c-hubs that srip out easy.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:14 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
736 Posts
I agree with trail chubs and knuckles should be replaced asap.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2015, 08:52 PM
Joined Sep 2014
809 Posts
Yea they strip out so easy its just a pain.