New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by flyerteh
Joined Jan 2016
2 Posts
Hy, I am having some trouble launching xoptfoil. I am using precompiled version for my windows 10. When i open the .exe file, black window flashes and then disappears. I also tried another computer... seems to be the same problem. What could be wrong? Should i try to compile it my self?
flyerteh is offline Find More Posts by flyerteh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by Montag DP
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,707 Posts
When you double click xoptfoil.exe, it will open a new command window and try to run it there, but if there's an error, the window will close right away and you won't be able to see what was wrong. Try first double clicking the "windows_command_prompt_here" file to open a command window yourself. Then type xoptfoil.exe, and when there is an error the window will stay open. Then you can report it here and I'll try to diagnose it for you.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by flyerteh
Joined Jan 2016
2 Posts
Thanks!
I found the problem. Program didin't find the inputs.txt file and failed to launch.
flyerteh is offline Find More Posts by flyerteh
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:29 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,707 Posts
Okay, great! It's usually better to run it from the command line in case there's an error. Also, if your processor has more than one core, it will run faster if you compile it yourself, because the particle swarm algorithm will be able to run in parallel.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by Prop-er
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,192 Posts
Tip: in Explorer right click while holding shift: in the menu you'll now have the option: "Open command prompt here" .

This way you 'll start the command prompt in the current directory, instead of the root directory.

Clicking the "windows_cmd_prompt_here.bat" has the same function.
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:39 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,707 Posts
I just uploaded a new version to Sourceforge.
  • The main change is a Python script called design_visualizer.py which will plot the airfoils and polars that were generated during an optimization for you. It uses the <prefix>_design_coordinates.dat and <prefix>_design_polars.dat that are written out by the optimizer. You need to install Python to use it, which is not hard; instructions are in the User Guide.
  • The design_plotter tool has also been removed. The optimizer now writes out the coordinates and polars for each successively better airfoil while the optimization is running, so there's no need to perform the extra step of running design_plotter afterwards.
  • Documentation was also updated reflecting the new changes and some changes from the previous version that I forgot to update in the User Guide.
Next on my list is to enhance this design_visualizer.py tool so that it can monitor the progress of the optimization as it is going and automatically display the curent best design for you. After that will be allowing an optimization run to be restarted if it is terminated early. Attached is an example plot from design_visualizer.py.