Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by exf3bguy
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2011
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decathlon14 View Post
So I've got a 3dhs 74" edge, would that qualify for IMAC?
Absolutely yes. I flew in a contest last weekend and one young man flew the basic class with a Parkzone T-28. For basic anything you can fly through the sequence is legal. Your Edge would be fine and has the potential to win basic and sportsman. The key would be setup and practice. Most new guys I see flying their first contest have one thing in common, too much control surface throw. spend some time getting the airplane dialed in. If anyone needs assistance we can open a new thread and start a trimming 101 there. Once the airplane is trimmed get a helper and have them read through the judging criteria and memorize your sequence. Then have them take notes as you practice. Review the notes after each flight and implement changes.
exf3bguy is online now Find More Posts by exf3bguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
345 Posts
Here's the winning plane report from last weekend's contest in Florence, Arizona.

Basic - an old Extra from TOC or SD Models I think (ARF)
Sportsman - Hangar 9 Sukhoi (ARF) (Congrats "flyracer"!!)
Intermediate - CARF-Models 122" Extra 330SC (ARF)
Advanced - Carden Extra (he was the only pilot in the class)
Unlimited - CARF-Models 122" Extra 330SC (ARF)

Any ARF can take you to the top of the podium if you burn gas and practice to remove deductions.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Old Oct 19, 2015, 09:31 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
345 Posts
There was a big contest last week called the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout. The pilots are competing for BIG prizes!!

Here are the winning planes:

Invitational - Godfrey Extra 300
Unlimited - CARF-Models 122" Extra 330SC (ARF)
Advanced - Carden Extra 300
Intermediate - CARF-Models 122" Extra 330SC (ARF)
Sportsman - Hangar 9 Sukhoi (ARF)

The Invitational class champion received a check for $12,000. Here are the sponsor prizes chosen by the IMAC class winners:

Unlimited - DA 170
Advanced - DA 170
Intermediate - JR 28X
Sportsman - DA 170

Nice week of flying.
Old Nov 02, 2015, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by TEAM FULLTILT
Joined Jul 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Well, that doesn't really get to the point. I doubt any of them are GWS slow sticks.

Doesn't matter though, I've gotten enough info to know I will never be able to afford IMAC.
You know it isn't about the money that makes the difference all the time. One of the most successful winning planes is the H9 3.1 Sukhoi, and it is very competitively priced. It is not a 10,000.00 dollar plane by a long shot. But you know, it follows the trend of full scale, you don't see a Cessna 182 flying in aerobatic competition. An aerobatic plane is of a little better engineered and is designed to have better performance. Along with that comes a little more expense. It is one of those things like racing cars, some people run the local round and round dirt tracks and some go to the NASCAR circuit. Its all want you have the will to do.
You can get a competitive airplane on any of the classified websites very cheap and of the best quality that you can compete with. If you only want to spend 300.00 , you may not want to fly IMAC, you just have to make a decision. If you feel that you want to start a class for 300.00 planes, then go for it. It's all what you want out of it.
TEAM FULLTILT is offline Find More Posts by TEAM FULLTILT
Old Jan 18, 2016, 07:32 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
345 Posts
The first IMAC contest of the 2016 season is in the books. Here are the trophy winners for the Superstition Challenge.

Basic
1st - CARF-Models 3.0m Extra 330S
2nd - Aeroworks 50cc Extra 260

Sportsman
1st - Carden 118" Extra 260
2nd - Carden 118" Extra 300
3rd - CARF-Models 3.1m Super Xtra

Intermediate
1st - Carden 124" Extra 300
2nd - Hangar Nine 3.1m Suhkoi
3rd - Hangar Nine 3.1m Suhkoi

Advanced
1st - CARF-Models 3.1m Extra 330SC
2nd - Hangar Nine 3.1m Suhkoi
3rd - CARF-Models 3.1m Extra 330SC

Unlimited
1st - CARF-Models 3.1m Extra 330SC
2nd - CARF-Models 3.0m Extra 260
3rd - Dalton Aviation Extra 300ML

I don't know what the 3rd place Basic pilot was flying. For the fourteen trophies I knew the totals by manufacturer:

6 - CARF-Models
3 - Hangar 9
3 - Carden
1 - Aeroworks
1 - Dalton

By construction:

10 - ARF
4 - Kits
Last edited by Dean Bird; Jan 25, 2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by Clover Creek
Joined Jan 2016
1 Posts
Hey Dean,
You should enter the 2016 IMAC National Championships.

see you soon,
John
Clover Creek is offline Find More Posts by Clover Creek