Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:31 AM
Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jun 2013
1,017 Posts
Aggertroll + Cush, i set up in the same way as you guys, so if you have a model that was twitchy with a rear cg yet you still had some up trim, that's the time to move the tail incidence? Although when you say 'twitchy' just how? i remember when i last had a radian pro and i put 15g on the tail to test and i still thought it was stable. (again the answer is a little off topic im sorry)

Scruffy, haha sorry i made you spend money, but same here the prices on some of the models were too good to pass, the yellow wing mini here is on sale at something like 45! I guess with the 1.5 meter though, they are run down stock/end of line now as the arf version has never come back into stock after selling out in the last sale.

just wish the weather would clear up here, either too windy, too wet, or both, *sigh*
i_am_mark_evans is online now Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by scruffy1
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
2,307 Posts
i went out with my "old" 900 just before dark in variable wind

average launch height 35m, best flight just shy of 2 minutes in almost total dark

it looked to go higher than previous sunset sorties, but i was a little disappointed in 37m as my best throw
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:08 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
7,979 Posts
Was tempted to buy another dlg from HK , maybe the 1m one but decided I had enough planes already,
I just need weather to fly them.

CG is a hotly debated subject, seems it's a quite a personal thing to some degree, forward cog means stable in winds and easy to fly especially for beginners, rear more responsive but too fast back and it becomes unstable in that pitch is needing constant attention, this can then reduce efficiency because of all the control surface movement...

Incidence on tail is adjusted when cog is right where you want it and plane is trimmed out, if you still have up elev then adjust the incidence and retrim for flat elev until it is trimmed with no up elev.
Note on an all moving stab like blaster incidence is not an issue!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:05 AM
Find More Posts by TLHover
DLG Bug Bit Me
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
i went out with my "old" 900 just before dark in variable wind

average launch height 35m, best flight just shy of 2 minutes in almost total dark

it looked to go higher than previous sunset sorties, but i was a little disappointed in 37m as my best throw
What altimeter are you using scruffy?
TLHover is offline Find More Posts by TLHover
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:45 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
2,307 Posts
the hobbyking one

as featured here in my blog, some time ago

still going fine
Old Feb 06, 2016, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by Aggertroll
Nobody is prefect.
Germany, NRW, Lohmar
Joined Aug 2013
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans View Post
Although when you say 'twitchy' just how?
When you have your plane trimmed for level flight, launch it, level it and take your hand off the sticks.
If it glides and glides and glides, its not twitchy.
If you need to grab the stick to prevent serious mishaps, then its twitchy.
If the CG is too far forward it will be quite stable but it will not indicate the air it is flying through.
If the CG is too far back it will need constant correction to keep it from stall or dive.
Dial in the level of twitchyness you are comfortable with. And then forget about it and just fly.
Aggertroll is offline Find More Posts by Aggertroll
Old Feb 07, 2016, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by Wave Glider
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,910 Posts
I made mine FAA legal...
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
Old Feb 07, 2016, 07:28 PM
Joined Jun 2013
1,017 Posts
Been thinking about flight modes before i finish off a couple of models.

up until now, all i have used is a cruise mode, flaperons level with center tab, thermal, whatever amount of camber and then a launch on my spring loaded switch which gives a but of up elevator for the rotation.

But i read about people using a launch mode, are they taking about a mode on a actual switch (not the spring loaded switch) or do they just mean the up elevator on the momentary switch? If a actual mode, then what do you have programmed in and how do you launch and what switches are you flicking in the process?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2016, 08:20 PM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
2,307 Posts
launch mode on mine starts the clock and has slight reflex camber (the clock on the momentary, the camber on the throttle, with right 3 way to normal at apogee)
Old Feb 07, 2016, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by Mid7night
I make planes I want to fly
Southern Cal.
Joined Mar 2004
1,260 Posts
I have a Taranis set up as follows:

Launch Mode (Momentary switch held): Up-elevator, wing camber 2-3mm down, slight right rudder (I'm a righty)

Zoom Mode (Momentary switch released): Elevator Zero, wing reflex 2mm up, rudder straight

Pushover event (not a separate mode, activated by any elevator input): Removes wing reflex, puts radio into "Cruise" mode

Cruise Mode (pos.1 on 3-pos. switch): Wing camber/reflex zero

Light Thermal Mode (pos.2 on 3-pos. switch): Wing camber 2-3mm down

Slow Thermal Mode (pos.3 on 3-pos. switch): Wing camber 5-6mm down

Flaps (on Throttle slider): At will, but only available when 3-pos. switch is in pos.2 or 3 (keeps me from accidentally throwing flaps during Launch or Zoom)

Each mode has its own trim memory, except Cruise, Light Thermal and Slow Thermal, which are additive from each previous mode (Light adds on from Cruise, Slow adds on from Light).
I also have a timer running whenever the Momentary is released, and another switch to zero it before each launch.
Mid7night is offline Find More Posts by Mid7night
Old Feb 08, 2016, 01:09 AM
Find More Posts by Cush
Gentleman, scholar and acrobat
United Kingdom, England, Poole
Joined Mar 2001
1,081 Posts
Mark,

My take on it - seems to work for me and I think it's pretty standard. Pretty much the same same as Mid7night I think.

Maat DLG Setup (9 min 58 sec)
Cush is offline Find More Posts by Cush
Last edited by Cush; Feb 08, 2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 04:23 AM
Joined Jun 2013
1,017 Posts
Does anyone have the zoom/climb on a switch separate from the 3 pod mode and spring loaded switch?

With it on it could give you reflex for the climb, rudder if you wanted it, elevator to keep the climb straight and also be the priority switch so it turns flaps off? Those without a Taranis, would anyone set something like this up? It would be more switch flicking, but just curious to see everyone's way of setting their model up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2016, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by Wave Glider
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans View Post
Does anyone have the zoom/climb on a switch separate from the 3 pod mode and spring loaded switch?

With it on it could give you reflex for the climb, rudder if you wanted it, elevator to keep the climb straight and also be the priority switch so it turns flaps off? Those without a Taranis, would anyone set something like this up? It would be more switch flicking, but just curious to see everyone's way of setting their model up.
I think a Taranis is about the only way you'll get that specific of a launch mode. However, I've had several different radios, and on all of them I was able to program a launch mode that disabled the flaps, which is the most important part.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
Old Feb 09, 2016, 12:20 AM
Find More Posts by prodjx
Joined Jan 2007
5,313 Posts
Flew my DLG in the parking lot at my local Barnes&Noble at about 10pm. I pulled it off even after I realized I'd forgotten to check the elevator trim after a re-glue of the servo. Brought the trim back to where it should've been on the 2nd flight.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
Old Feb 09, 2016, 06:06 AM
Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
4,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
Flew my DLG in the parking lot at my local Barnes&Noble at about 10pm. I pulled it off even after I realized I'd forgotten to check the elevator trim after a re-glue of the servo. Brought the trim back to where it should've been on the 2nd flight.
Amazing. How did you see it?

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton