Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,331 Posts
Build Log
Dynam A-10 extreme setup

Hi Guys, Im doing a Dynam A-10 extreme 4s setup that I got at www.hobbyshopwarehouse.com

This is there extreme stock setup they suggest...
EDF-Edo 4800kv motor and fan unit...edo 50 amp esc
4s 3600mah 45c lipo
I'm planning on using the stock servos in the ailerons and using hitecs in elevator and steering. Im going to use the stock LG to start with, then plan on upgrading to RCLanders electric suspension retracts after ive tested the
4s setup.

Ive already done a stock dynam A-10, actually two of them now and have found all the places this airframe needs some extra touches of re-inforcments etc...DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Last edited by olwarbirds; Feb 17, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:17 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,331 Posts
This is the color scheme of the airframe im using for this build...DJ
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by RGS2010
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
4,060 Posts
Looks Great!

Rudders?
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by Sammy70
JOHN 3:16 STILL APPLIES
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
7,693 Posts
Good luck, have fun, and buy/use lots of c/fiber
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 28, 2010, 05:06 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,331 Posts
Russ, im tossing around the idea of Rudders and havnt made up my mind on that part yet

Heya Sammy, yeah ive got plans for the use of cf in several key locations now that ive crashed one and seen where it likes to break at. Actually im surprised at how little damage my nose in caused, on both my crashes the wing and tail feathers experienced no damage at all. Only on the last nose in did the fuse finally break and it only broke in two places, it was how it crinkled up that made me want to get new airframes to work with for this build and a new stock setup. This airframe is rather tough for a foamie...DJ
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by RugFlyer
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
933 Posts
olwarbirds...I'm building a hot 4S Version myself. Already cut in the Flaps & Leading Edge Slats, then the E-Tracts go in. I'll be running two 6-blade Cyclone Power Turbojet 64 4500kv Ducted Fans along w/ two 2200mah Nana-Techs, so I'll need the flaps & slats since it'll probably come in fast & heavy.

Since you're familiar with this A-10, are there any places besides the usual (main wings & Horz. stab) that I need to add cf reinforcement?
Thanks

-Rick
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,331 Posts
Rick, only other place that i think needs cf is in the fuse from just in front of where the nacelles glue on , from that pt all the way too the tail...with the weight and extra thrust of these hotter setups i think we might get some flex there.....

Ive found that I cant use my edo fan housing, trying to adapt the edo fans to the stock fan housing. If not the stock 6 blades are not bad fans at all and i will just hook the edo 4800kv motors to them...DJ
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:28 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
933 Posts
Hey thanks...didn't think of the rear fuse, I'll make sure I put a CF rod in there as well!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:13 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer View Post
Hey thanks...didn't think of the rear fuse, I'll make sure I put a CF rod in there as well!
Rick yw man, thats what makes this forum so great..we can help each other out with ideas or proven methods....the wing appears to have re-inforcments in it already, where are you going to add cf to it at ?...for ur electric retracts are you going to use some basswood etc to beef up a mount area or are you just gluing them in?....im sure my stock flimsy wire LG are not gonna like the extra weight of the 4s lipo etc...so i will be upgrading my LG very shortly... gonna buy a 9chnl radio first for my other projects...getting ready to do a starmax twin 70mm f-14.....DJ
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,331 Posts
Rick, when u get time id like to see pics of all the stuff you have done like the leading edge slats, thats a cool mod man....DJ
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:12 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,331 Posts
The EDO fan housings would not fit in nacelles correctly, so I was able to put the EDO motor and fan units into the stock dynam fan housing. All the motor mounting holes lined up perfectly and the fan fits nicely. I fired them up and im very impressed with the amount of thrust and how they sound. Chuck from HSW was right, he told me i would really like these EDO edf's.
The airframe only dynam A-10 comes with the stock fans and housings and it even includes the adaptor to mount stock fan to motor of your choice, only thing it dont come with is electronics.....DJ
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:26 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
Rick, when u get time id like to see pics of all the stuff you have done like the leading edge slats, thats a cool mod man....DJ
Thanks olwarbirds...Hey I couldn't agree more, we can all learn from each others modes & mistakes. Keep in mind I don't want to take over your thread, but here's what I have so far.

Slats & Flaps are cut in & hinged. Notice the Straight Cut, this allows the Flaps to fit Tight to the wing when Closed with NO bevels underneath to create turbulence!

I used "Drop Hinges" for the Flaps (like the ones on my "Multiplex Fun Cub"): When they're deployed they drop down & away from the wing, but when they're closed they fit tight to the wing due to the Straight (not beveled) cut.

Top of wing with Flaps closed: (Notice how tight the flaps close against the wing next two pics)

Bottom of wing with Flaps closed:

I had to cut of the back of the nacelles so the flaps would have enough down.

Leading Edge Slats: hinged on the bottom in 4 places.

I plan on using one servo (per side) to operate each Flap & Leading Edge Slat. If you guys like I'll post up some pics when I have then installed.

I mounted my 60A ESC's on each side of the Fuselage right over the COG point and opened up a vent hole for cooling (next to my thump).

I split the Fuselage so I could mount the ESC's inside. I had to extend the 3 motor wires 5.5". I also cut a channel into the foam underneath each ESC so outside air could flow over the ESC's & through the fuse and out the rear of the A-10.

And for grins I cut down the Ridiculously High Instrument Panel so my pilot could see where he's going since I'll need his help flying this thing!

Link to "Drop Hinges": http://sonictronics.com/xcart/produc...cat=321&page=1 HobbyKing now has these for a lot Cheaper!
If you'd like I'll post updates as I go...
-Rick
Last edited by RugFlyer; Dec 09, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by RGS2010
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
4,060 Posts
Nice Work DJ

Love the hinge work on the flaps...so are you running separate batteries? ...or are you going to put a Dean's Y-cable?

Thanks for the pics!

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:16 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
933 Posts
Thanks Russ...Actually I'll have it setup so I can run one larger 4s into a Y-Harness or Two smaller 4S's "Y'd" in parallel.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,331 Posts
Russ, wish I cud take credit for that work but its all Rick

Rick, I dont feel as if your taking over this thread at all man, its a thread dealing with doing upgraded dynam A-10's and what you have done so far is very nice work guy and yes pls post pics/vids of any mods your doing and look forward to seeing the completed product and a flight vid...tks for the link to those hinges too, you must of read my mind cuz i was goin to ask where u got them....ya did a nice job on the cockpit too, I need a pilot for mine now after seeing what u have done...DJ